April 24, 2014

Lauren Graham not sorry to see Gilmore Girls go

by Joel Keller, posted May 7th 2007 5:23PM
Lauren GrahamOne of the big reasons why Gilmore Girls is not returning for an eighth season is because Warner Brothers and the CW reportedly could not come to terms on new contracts for both Lauren Graham and Alexis Bledel. So, it's not a big surprise to hear that Graham is not sorry to see the show go gently into that good night.

In fact, she told Newsweek as much in this week's issue. "I think it's the best decision for the show," she told the magazine. "One of the things Alexis and I wished could be different was the schedule, and it really can't be." (Update: Graham also spoke to TVGuide.com's Mike Ausiello about the show's end.)

Both stars are looking to do more movies, with Graham getting a little further along (Bad Santa, Because I Said So, Evan Almighty) than her young co-star. And she's been pretty forthright in the past about her discomfort with certain events that surrounded the show, from creator Amy Sherman-Palladino's departure to the season six storyline that kept her and Bledel apart for the first half of the season.

This leads me to believe that getting an eighth season was going to be nearly impossible from the start; Graham especially seemed like she was done with the grind and wanted to do something different. So, for those blaming the CW for not bringing the show back (I'm not one of them; I think the show ran one season too long), you really should send your complaints to Graham and Bledel.

anthonymcdougall

Last episode I saw in Scotland was when Lorelai proposes to Luke. Is there anymore after that. Don't know why I like the show but it grabs me nevertheless

July 16 2007 at 12:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kim

It's so sad that Lauren and Alexis didn't want to do at least one more season. The show was awesome and it made me look forward to tuesday's. They left it wide open and i think they should have ended better. Luke and loralai never really got back together. If Lauren and Alexis want out they could at least do one more show or make a movie concluding Luke and Lorelai' relationship and what happens to Rory now thats she's single. The ending sucked and i wish they could at least do this. Goodbye Gilmore girls.

May 27 2007 at 4:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
katie

I was sooooooooooo upset to hear that Gilmore girls was ending I think that they have left it wide open if they want to do another season or movie. But on the same token it also had a final feeling to it *sobs uncontrollably*
It’s just not fair, so many great shows have ended lately, it makes me wonder if anyone is listing to the fans at all and what they want.
As they only do what the big wigs and cast members want.
And it would be good to see lanes kids grow up a bit and sookie’s baby has not been born yet either!!!!!! luke and Lorelai also have to get married. not just see them kiss we've seen that come on. after them being apart for so long we get 5 seconds to see them together again before it ends thats just evil.................
Wont some one take pity on the fans and give them one more season to tie everything up right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

May 24 2007 at 10:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Katie

I cried whilst watching the last episode, it was so sad.

I want an 8th Season SOOOOOOO bad. Please Lauren think about it.

May 18 2007 at 3:38 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
lisa

Well this is another great show that has ended! It reminds me of others like Northern Exposure ...shows that we let into our homes every week ...the characters are familiar...comforting...and then life happens and change comes closley after that....Thanks to the writers and actors for entertaining me. These guys were great! They all worked together well. The dialogue was fast and funny how I understood every word! ...I loved this show! Life is about change...it will happen in every aspect so savour every moment ...I did

May 16 2007 at 1:24 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Maureen Grady

I love Gilmore Girls... My mom got me into watching it a few years ago... She has since passed away, but I still watch it... I don't know what I am going to do with myself now on Tuesday evenings...???? Oh, yes, there are always the reruns on Family... I got so involved with
the characters... they seemed so real to me...

May 13 2007 at 7:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Donna

I love the show. It brought my daughter and I together
giving us something to share, take about. My daughter she is like Lorelai because she she fisty, and I'm like Rory because I have to think things out and I alway carry a book with me, everwhere. It's sad they couldn't save a good show that mom and daughter could share.
Now we will have to watch NCIS on Thusday nights now.
That's second best.
Donna

May 09 2007 at 12:54 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Karen

Well, if Lauren Graham has wanted out, and has been unhappy with directions that the show has taken (hmmph--get in line, Lauren), then it's all the more impressive that she's kept up the incredible level of commitment to her character that we all saw in the "I Will Always Love You" karaoke scene.

She's a real professional!

May 08 2007 at 4:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bash

How can you feel robbed when you haven't seen the ending yet?

Also, Gilmore Girls could've gone on forever. The real interesting parts about Lorelai and Rory have been shown to us in the first four seasons. The last three have been the same stuff in different packaging. Also I think the whole Christopher storyline was so far out... they were really grasping at straws. Additional seasons would've just conained more on-again off-again storylines and maybe new love interests for Rory and maybe some mishaps happening to Luke's kind and maybe a baby for Luke and Lor and...

Gnah!

I want another season too *sob*

Because as much as you want to tell you you've seen it all and that it would all be the same I think the real good last few episodes showed us that there was more to explore for the Girls. As much as the first half of the season has been off the last two months had so many good episodes. *sigh*

May 08 2007 at 5:24 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jennifer

I think what irritates me the most about the end of the show is that this news about the show ending was not publicized earlier. It doesn't bother me that the show is ending this year; it is the seventh year and ASP always said that the show would end when Rory graduated from college, a sort of natural ending unto itself. However, being teased over and over by certain sources (ahem...Michael Ausiello) that the show might come back for an eighth season really got my hopes up that we could see more resolution to the stories that this show has created, not just the Luke/Lorelai story, but the relationship between Lorelai and her parents as well. I think Rory's ending with her graduation and her future plans (which I will not spoil) are ideal for her character. What has dismayed me more about this season is the direction (or lack of) that Lorelai's life has had. I think the lack of resolution there is what bothers me most.

Lauren Graham is certainly entitled to feel relieved and hopeful now that this chapter of her life is over and she has more opportunities to look forward to. This fan, however, feels robbed of a proper send-off to her favorite show as well as what Gilmore Girls' departure means for my other favorite show, Veronica Mars.

May 07 2007 at 10:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply