October 23, 2014

The five best TV movie titles

by Paul Goebel, posted May 7th 2007 1:01PM

John Travolta in his germ-resistant suitWelcome to TV Squad Lists, a feature where each blogger has a chance to list his or her own rundown of things in television that stand out from the rest, both good and bad.

You hardly see good TV movie titles anymore, which is sad. So, I decided to remind everyone of the days when a good TV movie was defined by its title.

1. The Boy in the Plastic Bubble
Without watching the movie, this title conjures up plenty of visions. Amazingly, the movie has become a staple in the entertainment community and features what is probably John Travolta's most moving performance ever.

2. Spring Break Shark Attack
Unlike number one, this title spells out the entire plot. Kids on spring break, go in the water and get attacked by a shark. Got it.

3. Devil Dog, The Hound of Hell
What titles didn't they use; Canine of Consternation, Pooch of Predicaments, Fido of the Flies?

4. The Feminist and the Fuzz
This title brings to mind images of a wacky romp from the '70s. I've never seen it but I can picture David Hartman (the fuzz) finally loosening up by the end and falling in love with Barbara Eden (the, ironically cast, feminist).

5. Mother, May I Sleep with Danger
I have really tried to make sense of this but to no avail. Also, I understand your father already told you you couldn't sleep with danger.

(Honorable Mention) Calendar Girl: Cop Killer. The Bambi Bembenick Story
Rarely do you see these two jobs together on a resume, although it is a good way to distinguish yourself from all the other cop killers and calendar girls.

dg brann

HELP! I am trying to develop a game for a baby shower & I need some movie titles that have Baby, Mother, father, sister, brother , mom, dad, etc.. in the title.

May 14 2007 at 12:02 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
shnaynay13

What about the subtle "Snakes on a Plane" or "Don't Tell Mom, the Babysitter's Dead?"

May 09 2007 at 10:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Franklin

I remember the Devil Dog telefilm back in the '70s. It scared the $#!t out of me for several nights! (For real, people.)

May 08 2007 at 9:42 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lacey

Mansquito

...sci-fi has some great made for TV movie names.

May 07 2007 at 11:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
cybele

The first one I thought of was Postively True Aventures ...

But the other one is Spring Break Lawyer.

May 07 2007 at 6:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jason Lloren

The SciFi Channel's Original Movies always have clever titles:

Caved In: Prehistoric Terror
Deathlands: Homeward Bound
Disaster Zone: Volcano in New York
Gargoyles: Wings of Darkness
Magma: Volcanic Disaster
Return of the Living Dead 5: Rave from the Grave

May 07 2007 at 5:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
gottacook

In 1983 or so, back when New York magazine still had its weekly competitions, there was one that asked for made-up TV movie titles - I still remember the winner ("Give Me Back My Face") as well as several of the many honorable mentions printed: "Leap Year Luau," "All the Kids a Guy Could Want," etc. The real example that was given as a model for entrants: "Ski Lift to Death" (1978).

One real one that should be mentioned here: "Slumber Party Massacre" (1982), written by (of all people) Rita Mae Brown.

May 07 2007 at 3:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Adam Finley

"Also, I understand your father already told you you couldn't sleep with danger."

LOL.

May 07 2007 at 1:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jack

There's also "The Positively True Adventures of the Alleged Texas Cheerleader-Murdering Mom."

May 07 2007 at 1:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dawn50

You forgot "Baby Monitor: Sound of Fear."

A kid, a monitor, a babysitter and a murderer. Says fear to me.

May 07 2007 at 1:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply