July 25, 2014

The Onion Office

by Adam Finley, posted May 7th 2007 3:01PM

david spadeYou know, one of the great/sad things about satire is that sometimes it's almost too close to real life. Take this Onion headline:

CBS To Release Own Version Of NBC's The Office

Funny, yes, but given a television landscape riddled with unoriginal concepts, the idea of one network doing it's own version of another network's show (which, in turn, is based on another show) doesn't seem that unrealistic.

But then, that is the essence of satire, isn't it? Sometimes the best way to point out the ludicrousness of something is to just say it with a straight face. This is my favorite paragraph from the article:

The producers made several other changes to the show in order to promote a greater crossover appeal. The faux-documentary format has been dropped in favor of a traditional three-camera setup, and a laugh track has been added to fill in any painful, awkward pauses in dialogue that might slow down the show.

I guess there's no idea so original that a few executives can't come in and completely ruin it. I'd be laughing a lot harder if I didn't think that somewhere right now some executives are watching The Office and trying to come up with a way to make it "more appealing."

Hopefully, with advances in online video sharing and cheaper video software and equipment, the days of executives deciding what we like or don't like are coming to an end. A guy can dream, anyway.

lyss

thats retarded!!! Why would you spoof the office? it's the best show on TV!!! I mean come on!!!!! A laugh track??? Are you kidding me???? People are just running out of ideas.

May 11 2007 at 9:59 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dan

Let's hope NBC doesn't see this and think "hmm, these are not bad ideas. Make it MORE appealing...yess...."

May 08 2007 at 8:58 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Walt

I'm not ashamed to admit that The Office has never appealed to me. A spoof of "The Office" with David Spade? Cool, could they get the rest of the crowd from "Just Shoot Me" on there too and then all they'd need would be the occasional uber hot guest star because we're sure not going to be watching it for David Spade...
---

Re: The IT Crowd: Through the power of the tubes that make up the internet, I managed to catch about four episodes of "The IT Crowd" and it was ALMOST watchable. There's one guy that makes it. The other guy and the girl didn't. Pretty much that simple. With a geek show, however, there's a lot of room for pop culture jokes.

May 07 2007 at 11:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
John

Speaking of BBC Comedy on American TV...

Oh how my pimply youth longs for Terry Farrell as Cat... =)

May 07 2007 at 4:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gudlyf

NBC is already trying to capitalize further on the whole bringing of UK comedies to the US with 'The I.T. Crowd' that's supposed to come this fall (though we'll know for sure in a little more than a week if that's true). Hopefully it'll be just as (or more) successful as The Office has been.

May 07 2007 at 4:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply