November 22, 2014

24: 2:00am -- 3:00am

by Meredith O'Brien, posted May 8th 2007 12:35AM

Milo Pressman on 24(S06E21) *Warning, spoilers ahead from the new episode ahead.*

In order to enjoy the 21st hour of Jack Bauer's sixth bad day, I had to suspend reality and stop myself from wondering:

a) How in the world CTU could possibly be so vulnerable, b) Why a presidential chief of staff would be hanging out in a surveillance van, c) How a confused looking teen with a mop of blond hair could suddenly take on such importance, and, d) Why on God's green earth should I care about the romantic bickerings of a divorced couple with no chemistry?

But, once I decided to stop asking the why's and the how's I was able to enjoy this hour for what it was: An odd 60 minutes with surprising moments and real, actual dramatic tension.

The main story this hour centered on Cheng enlisting tough-looking mercenaries in sleeveless tank tops and tattoos to access the sewer lines beneath CTU, disable CTU's security and communications systems and invade the offices with machine guns blazing. They rounded up the CTU staff, shot Milo Pressman when he identified himself as the ranking CTU officer in order to protect Nadia Yassir (How gallant! How shocking!) and apprehended Jack and his sister-in-law Marilyn Bauer. (Jack, who'd gotten out of lock-up and rescued Marilyn and his "nephew," successfully got Josh into the air ducts but he and Marilyn were nabbed.)

The head mercenary got on the public address system and told Josh that he'd be taken to a "safe place" and his mother's life would be spared if he just surrendered. Of course Josh, who likes to whine and squint, gave himself up. The next scene showed Cheng calling Phillip Bauer to tell him that they'd secured Josh, while Phillip added that he was almost done repairing the Russian circuit board for Cheng. Clearly a quid pro quo had been struck: I fix your circuit board; you get my grandson.

However the return of Papa Bauer and the Bauer family players was a frustrating turn of events, particularly after the writers jettisoned the Audrey Raines story with cold efficiency and an empty threat of Heller obtaining a restraining order against Jack (yeah, like a lousy little judicial order would actually keep Jack away). I would much rather see Jack, Audrey and her angry father than Papa Bauer or Josh or anyone from the extended "sick family" again. But alas, it's back to the Bauer tales we go for the waning hours of this season.

In other developments: Presidential aide Lisa Miller -- the one who bedded both Acting President Noah Daniels and lobbyist Mark Bishop, who was passing along intel to the Russians -- was forced to go to Bishop's townhouse and do the nasty while Chief of Staff Tom Lennox watched via a hidden camera planted in her bag. (These scenes were creepy and, in my opinion, eclipsed the creepiness of Daniels and Miller necking in the Oval Office a couple hours ago.) The plan was for Miller to immediately excuse herself to go to the bathroom so Bishop would download fake memos from her PDA indicating that CTU had destroyed the Russian circuit board that the Chinese obtained from Jack. But Bishop, that horndog, wouldn't let Miller leave the room and insisted on helping her "relax" . . . unwittingly in front of an audience. If Daniels sees this video footage, I'm 100 percent certain his head will explode. (Then they'd have to look for yet another president. I nominate Bill Buchanan.)

Overall, I thought this episode contained more suspenseful moments than have many of the recent hours. I, in no way, saw the hostage-taking, Milo getting shot or Cheng's guys wanting to take Josh and bring him back to Papa Bauer coming. I'm giving this episode a 5 on the TV Squad's awesomely original 7-point scale.

(24 - S06E21) How do you rate this episode?
1 - Worst19 (4.6%)
225 (6.0%)
351 (12.3%)
480 (19.3%)
5112 (27.0%)
688 (21.2%)
7 - Best40 (9.6%)

Bill

How could heavily-secured CTU be accessed via storm sewars,,Isn't this their (CTU's) mission statement,,to serve and protect,,where are the auto-safeguards, electronic monitoring devices, etc., in tact to prevent "on-site" intrusion..where's Big Brother 1984 revisted,,I've been a long-time follower of "24",,always enjoying the non-stop, spontaneous, "serial-like" cliffhanger" style format,,can't wait until the next commercial break ends,,maybe the writers ought to delve back into the old 50's-60's Sci-Fi thrillers,,The Invaders, One Step Beyond, The Twilight Zone, and Outer Limits,,Best of Luck, and looking forward to next season!

May 14 2007 at 6:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
AdamSonOfJohn

And I was quietly praying, "Please kill Milo. Please kill Milo. Please kill Milo."

........"yyeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaahhhh!!!!!"

The guy did something cool once when he saved Jack's sister-in-law/ex-girl friend/mother of his bastard-child nephew.

Past that, Milo was like the fresh out of college CTU morale official. Everytime somebody was fighting, he'd be write there with his arm in a sling, "Everything okay here?" And if it wasn't, he'd kiss her.

Now we just have to figure out what to do with Chloe (who sucks this year) and Morris. My girlfriend and I LOVE(d) Chloe. I like Morris, too, but both of them being on the show is like redundency...plus it cancels out Chloe's charm. Chloe not getting laid is what made Chloe great....so giving her a significant other (S.O.) complete cancels out that charm. She got there first. Let's kill/move Morris.

Game Over, Milo. Thank you for playing.

May 10 2007 at 7:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Allan

Well, this season is (blessedly) almost over, but I truly believe that 24 will return in far better form next year.
I remain a fan, and am optimistic this talented team will get its act together.

In the meantime, I have to tell you that this year offered us two other shows that rivalled the 24 of old. Heroes, of course, is one, and the other is the terrific, and often under-appreciated Supernatural.

To all you sci-fi and action drama fans out there, I say please give Supernatural a try. This season's episodes have often nudged X-Files at its best, and frankly, compared to Dean Winchester, Jack Bauer is just a muddled, bi-polar, ethically-challenged sad-sack. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

May 10 2007 at 12:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
BC

24 has officially jumped the shark...24 was my favorite show...key word was!

I will watch the last few shows to see how it ends, but this season has been the worst 24 season. The writing has been terrible with some many loops holes and unbelievably ridiculous story lines.

May 09 2007 at 1:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
joanvwelch

Agree this season has not had the heart pounding, can't wait to see what's going to happen next feeling as in the past. Glad the tied up the "loose end" with Papa Bauer but he wants the "kid" because I am sure we are going to find out he is Jack's son and not his evil brother and he wants him outta there before Jack finds out!

Next season ...in search of his son JOSH

May 09 2007 at 11:28 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
marcel

WHY DO THE CHINESE SPEAK ENGLISH? ALLMOST ALL THE TIME!

stupid amerikan writers.
oh, and everything else made no sense, too.

May 08 2007 at 3:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Wax

Did anyone else think that Chloe was going to be the one to bite the bullet instead of Milo? TV Guide touted this weeks episode as a *can't miss; major character killed off; impacts rest of season* episode. My $$$ was on her all the way.

With all the tension between her and "drill bit", it would have been much more dramatic to kill her off and leave Morris forever regretting the childish way he handled things. Then Jack could've run off on a killing spree to avenge Chloe's death.

My scenario is much better.

May 08 2007 at 3:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rob

Ding, Ding, Ding,.. Bennettl, you win the prize.

Nadia tipped Doyle off by calling him the wrong name,.. it had nothing to do with Cheng's vehicle.

May 08 2007 at 2:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ac

Phillip Bauer popping up at the end would have been more of a surprise if they didnt put James Cromwell's name in the credits. Same with William Devane's last week.

May 08 2007 at 2:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bennettl

I thought nadia's "code" was that she called him Mike instead of Doyle.

May 08 2007 at 2:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply