July 30, 2014

Everybody Hates Chris: Everybody Hates Math

by Adam Finley, posted May 8th 2007 11:21AM

chris rock(S02E21) Boy, did this episode speak to me.

Like Chris, I've never been very good at math. This is an example of how my brain tries to solve a basic math problem:

Problem: x + 9 = 18 - 2x

My Brain: I haven't had Corn Flakes in a long time.

See? It's like it doesn't even try. If numbers are involved, my brain pretty much shuts down and starts playing elevator music. Perhaps if I had been offered pizza like Chris' class I would have done better, but I doubt it. At least Chris had some outside help from his mother and grandmother. I also had outside help from a tutor, but despite her efforts, she just couldn't get through to me.

Well, actually, Chris' mother wasn't much help, since her method of teaching was to yell at Chris whenever he did something wrong. I found myself getting angry with her character for making it personal, rather than accepting that Chris fared better when his grandma taught him. At least by the end of the show she realized it was better that way. I did, however, love her little tirade when she found out Chris was sneaking around on her: "What else are you learnin' on the side? English? Science? History? Where does it stop?"

The B-story focusing on Julius trying to help out local thief Risky was decent, and I think as a whole the episode was a good study of Julius' and Rochelle's personalities. Rochelle makes everything personal, and Julius is an "old school" type who believes hard work and effort is its own reward. Of course, he's not above buying a few stolen good here and there.

I'm still iffy about Chris' teacher and her racism, though. I laughed when she told Chris she tried to accommodate him by having them serve "ribs and pig knuckles" rather than pizza, but statements like that seem blatantly racist rather than just ignorant. What I loved about her character originally is that, yes, she said racist things, but they were said with good (albeit stupid) intentions. Now, her character seems two-dimensional.

I'll give this one a 6 out of 7.

(Everybody Hates Chris - S02E21) How do you rate this episode?
1 - Worst2 (5.4%)
21 (2.7%)
32 (5.4%)
41 (2.7%)
59 (24.3%)
613 (35.1%)
7 - Best9 (24.3%)

CJ

you don't need a calculator:

x + 9 = 18 - 2x

x + 2x = 18 - 9

x + 2x = 9

3x = 9

x = 9/3

x = 3 (which is the answer)

May 08 2007 at 2:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
BillS

David: I think Adam was making a joke. I'm pretty sure that with a little time, a pencil and paper, and a high powered calculator, that he could figure it out. It's just that if he uses a legitimately hard problem, the joke isn't funny.

May 08 2007 at 2:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David

Well in the states if you don't have an asshole as a teacher the answer is 3. Yes x=3 is better, but it's not as funny considering Adam couldn't figure it out and I hate math and did it in 10 seconds.

May 08 2007 at 2:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
innamorata

"Chris' mother wasn't much help, since her method of teaching was to yell at Chris whenever he did something wrong."

I am pretty much like Rochelle when discussing the writing of Lost: WRONG! NUH HUH! NOOOO!!!!

Heh!

As for Mrs Morello she was always two dimensional to me. I don't see any change in her writing. She still had good intentions I think, she's just a tool.

I hear worse from men who think they speak well of women (no matter of their race).

*shrugs*

Loved this episode.

May 08 2007 at 11:58 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bash

No the answer is x equals 3 not just 3.

Also, to be totally correct, you'd have to write down how you came up with that number (unless you live in the US, get 4 possible answers, and just have to tick one field).

x + 9 = 18 - 2x | +2x
3x +9 = 18 | -9
3x = 9 | :3
x = 3

Just answering "3" (at least here in germany) will just get you half the points.

May 08 2007 at 11:37 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply