November 28, 2014

Spike Feresten gets a second season

by Adam Finley, posted May 8th 2007 9:01AM

spike ferestenIf you haven't seen Talkshow with Spike Feresten, you're not the only one. The Saturday night talk show that airs on FOX after MAD TV hasn't exactly received stellar ratings, but apparently it's attracted enough of that younger demographic the advertisers love, so it's getting a second season.

I've been watching it this season, and while it didn't exactly come out with guns blazing, Feresten is a funny and amicable host, and the half-hour running time is perfect. Can you imagine Conan or Letterman cut down to half an hour? No more filler and long interviews, just funny funny funny and then end the show. Well, maybe that wouldn't work for those guys, but it works in my little fantasy world.

Variety also reports that talks are still underway concerning a new season of MAD TV. There's no word on whether it will or won't be renewed, but it is possible that Talkshow could take over MAD TV's slot if MAD TV show doesn't return.

Jen

I love this show...it can be hit or miss, but when it IS funny, it's hysterical. I especially love Comedy for Stoners (Bigfoot riding on a unicorn...Bigfoot f&*$%^ng a unicorn...). I'm glad to hear it's coming back. Spike's Seinfeld episodes were the best of the series.

May 16 2007 at 12:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cody

For the record, when I tuned to FOX at quarter after 1, and they were showing the Stargateish show, and the Guide said "MAD TV", and it was a really dramatic, letterboxed moment where some guy was dieing and a bunch of people were standing around him watching, I though "wow, MAD TV is really edgy nowadays."

May 13 2007 at 2:09 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cody

Based solely on this post I stayed up until 2:00am tonight to watch this show, because the tv guide on my digital cable box said it would air at 1:30 am. Unfortunately, all FOX showed was either Stargate or Stargate Atlantis followed by M.A.S.H. If they want me to watch this show they better try harder next week.

May 13 2007 at 2:06 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MIke

Yes, Yes, Yes, Finally one of the shows I like DIDN'T get canceled. That's me 2, them 121. Heroes got renewed right? .......Phew! That was close.

May 08 2007 at 6:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
BillS

If they'd put Spike on at 11, I'd seriously watch every week. But I still feel like SNL is what you watch on Saturday nights, so as long as he's opposite them I'll only watch during reruns.

But it's a pretty cool show. Newsradio writer Joe Furey is on the staff, and I'm a fan. They work the guests into the scripted bits, which really adds something to the show. It kind of reminds me of early Conan, where he's not that good with the guests, but he has a great writing staff, some unusual but funny comedby bits, and a slightly awkward but likable energy.

May 08 2007 at 2:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
VSJ

Spike, be careful - as soon as you hit it big , Spike Lee may try to sue you for using his(?) name.

May 08 2007 at 12:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply