October 24, 2014

Stump the King - Party of Five

by Paul Goebel, posted May 8th 2007 2:20PM

The SalingersOne of the best things about being the King of TV is that many times people will ask me questions about shows I have never heard of.

Last week, a young man contacted me through my MySpace page to ask me if I knew the name of a certain TV show. He described it thusly, "I believe it may have been British and/or on PBS. It was not narrated but had an eclectic cast (one of whom was deaf). The show was various vignettes, mostly science based from the ones I remember. The one I really remember is the guy who was making bubbles with cigarette smoke. The biggest clue I can give you was the logo. At the beginning of the show they would show the name, then turn it on its side and reflect it in a mirror. It looked like a cricket, then it bounced off..."

Well, I racked my brain and googled into the early morning but to no avail. I had to admit defeat. Now here is the great part.

A few days later, he sent me another message saying that he had found out the name of the show on his own. It was called Vision On and was, in fact, an English show that had aired in many other countries including Canada. Which means that if you had access to the CBC you might have seen it. I immediately did some research and found out more than I ever wanted to know about Vision On.

Now for this week's question...

What is the first name of the youngest Salinger on Party of Five?

Please feel free to answer in the comments section. The first correct answer will get their name plugged in next week's post and the satisfaction that comes with being a member of the King's court.

Congratulations to Cate who was the first to come up with the correct answer of Diana. She was indeed the daughter of Charlie and Daphne.

Catherine

Charlie had a baby girl with Daphne...they named her Diana (after his mother). So she was the youngest Salinger when the show ended. But Owen for sure was the youngest of the original 5!

May 08 2007 at 9:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
davement

Diana

May 08 2007 at 9:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Paul Goebel

Amazingly, this simple question seems to have stumped everyone. Owen is incorrect and "Stewart" was never actually born on the show, so that answer is incorrect also.
Keep trying.

May 08 2007 at 9:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
TheJangle

Lester B. Pearson.

It was a small part played by two 4 month old triplets of the same name. The episode was entitled "The Last of the Unplucked Gems" and had what many critics called 'an air of sophistication that was unrivaled by any of the other episodes'.

Many critics also felt that the introduction of this character was the turning point in the show that eventually led to the infamous 'red rave dagger dance' conflict between Neve Campbell and Piper Perabo (Who was originally cast for the role but was replaced at the last minute due to a misdiagnosed brain hemorrhage.)

Anyway, the name you're looking for is Lester B. Pearson or LBP as the taxi driver who delivered him used to say.

Man, that was a great show.

May 08 2007 at 7:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Teddy

Or were about to, anyway. I think Kirsten was still pregnant in the final episode.

May 08 2007 at 3:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Teddy

@Kim_Eriksen: I didn't say Owen was Charlie and Kirsten's child. I said that when Charlie and Kirsten had a child, they allowed Owen to name him (in the final episode). He wanted to call the baby "Stewy," but they lengthened it to Stewart Nicholas.

May 08 2007 at 3:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kim_eriksen_2000

Charlie & Kirsten's kid Owen was the little brother Owen (they adopted him), there weren't 2 different characters named Owen on the show just the one, who was the youngest.

May 08 2007 at 3:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Teddy

Oh, and then they decided his full name would be "Stewart Nicholas Salinger," but they'd refer to him by his middle name, Nicholas. Julia, ever the scamp, jokes that people will call him "Snick." Off-camera, I'm guessing Stewy Nicholas ran away from home at 15.

May 08 2007 at 2:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kate Jordan

The youngest Salinger's name is Owen.

May 08 2007 at 2:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Teddy

You're either referring to baby brother Owen, or to Charlie and Kirsten's child, who was named (by Owen!) Stewy, thereby foreshadowing another famous TV baby with wacko parents.

May 08 2007 at 2:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply