November 23, 2014

What's so great about October Road?

by Paul Goebel, posted May 8th 2007 12:02PM

Tom CavanaughWhat is all this talk I keep hearing about saving October Road? Is it really worth saving? I watched about as much as I could stand and I really didn't see anything worth fighting for.

First, let's look at the premise: Small town boy comes home and tries to re-assimilate into his old ways. Sounds like an unfunny version of Ed. Besides, Nick seemed to be pretty much back in the groove by the second episode.

Speaking of Nick, let's look at the cast. This small town has more beautiful people than an audition for The Real World. Sounds like a boring version of One Tree Hill. I understand that many people enjoy the small town life but at some point wouldn't Laura Prepon's character realize that she's hot enough to be a successful actress?

I simply can't understand why interesting, well acted shows like Drive, Andy Barker P.I. and Raines get little to no recognition but October Road is the show everyone wants to save. Somebody clue me in.

By the way, I was doing a little research on the show and IMDB suggested that if I like October Road I should also check out Salem's Lot.. I guess because they are both about a bunch of "suckers."

TLNHOERSTEN

I liked October Road very much. It started out slow but each episode got better and BETTER. There is someone in the cast ensemble that everyone can identify with. (WHO can identify with the Rachel Green's of the world?) And for those that have not played air guitar -- very sorry for you (it leads to creativity). For those of you that don't have nicknames -- sorry again (leads to not taking yourself so seriously). The music got better and better too, ending the season on the best song "My Friend It's Been a Long Long Time" by Southside Johnny and the Asbury Dukes. Check it out on ABC.com.

May 31 2007 at 12:12 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Amy Gearheart

October Road was my new favorie show this year. I am always checking the computer to make sure that it is renewed. This is the only show this year, that I would watch on TV and also watch the full episodes on abc.com. I couldn't wait for the next episode!! Please bring back this show in the fall. People already are committed to too many shows in the Spring to start a new one. If this show is on the fall line-up it will do better.

May 16 2007 at 9:01 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
hk

i see that im in the minority in wanting the show to be p/u another season. i enjoy the show its easy going & light-hearted. looking forward for another year

May 15 2007 at 11:17 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kenivc

What is not believable is that the lead character went to New York for 10 years and disappeared???
It is only a 3-4 hour drive back to Mass....on I-95 for a visit

May 13 2007 at 11:52 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Emma

Actually I disagree, October Road is a great little show. Sure it is not going to blow you away and you are not going to be on the edge of your seat waiting for next week's episode, like say Heroes and Lost, but it is good. It is nice to see twenty somethings in a small town environment with jobs and famililes and lives to get on with, it is how a lot of us live. On the TV though twentysomethings are more often than not presented as in the early years of friends, hopping from one bed to another in the big city and hanging out so often that we have if wonder if any of them actually has a job!

May 09 2007 at 8:54 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bash

Tony B., this show is just as lame as "Men in Trees". I watch both series - I myself hated "Drive" and "Andy Barker P.I.". Honestly I wonder how you could say that those two series are "well acted" and "good" while this series is not. That's so totally not true and beside the point.

I think the only thing that really rubs all people who hate "October Road" the wrong way is it's pretentiousness, nothing else. They simply can't take all this cheesyness. I also think it's kind of over the top and honestly I watched six episodes now and I wonder what's left to be explored in this series now that we saw the kid's supposed dad and that the secret affair is out in the open. They will get back, hug, and then the next "crisis" will come up and they will deal with that and then *yawn* just like on "Men in Trees". It's boring, but compared to "Drive" or "Andy Barker P.I." it's loveable. Drive was complete and utter BS because of the thousands of plot holes it boosted in the first episode alone. The whole premise of a street race in a country with speed limits everywhere and the "real" race around the world on CBS ("The Amazing Race") made it a stillbirth. And Andy Barker? Either I am a total Sitcom Fan and that show did not make me laugh once. "Monk" is funnier than that. "Psych" is a dozen times funnier than that. I guess you have to have a certain kind of humor to "get" Andy Barker but then again I guess there's also a certain kind of people who laugh while watching "According to Jim". Yeah that's right, I said it - Andy Barker is as funny to me as According to Jim.

You really have to give some kind of proof here why you consider Andy Barker funny. Explain a single joke of that show to me. Please. For I did not get any of them. Well maybe one when they pushed that hen to "safety" directly into the slaugherhouse. That made me go "meh" because it was so into-your-face. *yawn*

And I also have to wonder since when October Road needed saving. This is the first time I heard of it next to an episode of Ausiello mentioning the move of "24" to another place and suggested "October Road" as a great place to place a nuke because it needed nuking. Guess Ausiello doesn't like "October Road" but that did not mean it needed saving.

So where does that news come from? Is October Road cancelled or something?

May 08 2007 at 8:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jon

I enjoyed October Road and hope that it will be renewed for the Fall. I do not love the show but will watch if it comes back. Still waiting to hear the fate of "What About Brian"

May 08 2007 at 6:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
john

Ed already did the air guitar bit. Well, it was an inflatable guitar, but still... c'mon. I miss Drive and Andy Barker already.

May 08 2007 at 5:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
slutty_whore

Um, Raines is a terrible and painfully boring episodic ripoff of network mate Medium. Come on, be serious!

May 08 2007 at 4:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply