A light at the end of Idol's tunnel

by Jon Peter Lewis, posted May 9th 2007 10:41AM

Jon Peter LewisBoy, that's rough having to learn a couple songs in a week; I think the challenge took its toll on the contestants. Those guys couldn't have looked or sounded more tired -- a fact which wasn't lost on the judges, it seemed.

There was very little love coming from the judges' table tonight. Only Jordin and Melinda seemed to get any praise on a night that should have been Blake's moment to stand out.

Granted, there's only so much you can do with '70s dance tracks, but it's dance music nonetheless. And you'd think that'd be enough to give him an edge.

I don't think he's at risk though. Lakisha didn't do so well either, and Blake fans aren't likely to jump ship this far into the competition. My prediction is that Lakisha says adios tomorrow night and Blake leaves the island next week. There might be a slight chance he gets into the finals, but that's as far as he'll go.

My not-so-early prediction for the finals is Melinda vs. Jordin, and between those two I think Jordin has a wider appeal. I think she's most likely to win this thing. That is, unless one of the others has an ace up the sleeve.

In which case, now's the time. Simon was right when he said that in the final four, he expects greatness. During the competition, the times when you can't get by on being OK are at the beginning and the end. I think the audience is really paying attention then and open to change because of a good or bad performance.

Plus, I think you have to take into consideration that the ratings get a boost in the last couple episodes and those new viewers vote without biases.

I like this part of the competition. All the tension and drama are fun ... plus, I feel like I've run a marathon keeping up with all of it, and now there's a light at the end of the tunnel. Hallelujah.

Answers to Reader Questions:

Who is your personal favorite? Do you think they have a shot at winning? Why or why not?
My favorite this year was Chris Sligh ... No shot at winning. But, I think he could have a solid career if he's smart.

Could you tell me who you think will be in the finale?
This blog's for you.

Jon Peter Lewis was a finalist on the third season of "American Idol." His newly released debut album, "Stories From Hollywood," is available everywhere online and can also be downloaded at americanidol.com. Visit Jon's Web site for more.

Jolie

I think that Blake would do the best in sales... I know a lot of people who say that they like his style... I see him making it to the finale... And if you download the mp3's you will see that Blake actually has a very beautiful voice...

Peace!

May 10 2007 at 12:16 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Paul

JPL first off can I just say I thought you were a lot of fun to watch when you were on in Season 3. Really enjoyed you; voted you through from the Wildcard haha. You did a great job on the show. You're hilarious!--
Anyway I think that while Jordin may be the most commercial contestant left, I think that Melinda's vocals are 100% the best. But see (making a reference to your season here) I almost wonder if Melinda would leave as a "shocker" tonight-- remember LaToya London? Spot on pitch all the time, technically the best singer, but got the boot too early. Who knows, maybe "Love You Inside And Out" is a cursed song since actually if I recall correctly was LaToya's first song in the Top 4 Disco show?? Haha. Only time will tell I guess. Hopin that Lakisha gets the ax tonight but we'll see!
I just found last night overall god awful though. Really really boring/bad.

May 09 2007 at 8:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lane Wright

The idea that Melinda is a one-trick pony is so patently absurd that it boggles the mind. She has proven that she can sing practically any kind of song (except perhaps grand opera, and even then who knows?) and make it shine. If there's a one-trick pony in this competition, it's either Lakisha, who can tear up a big, emotional song but who falters in anything that isn't bombastic, or Blake, who can do his beatboxing thing well but simply isn't much of a singer. Only Jordin and Melinda have shown real versatility on the show, and their performances are boring only if you are jaded enough to find excellence tedious.

If the final competition isn't between Melinda and Jordin, then "American Idol" is the farce that its critics claim it to be. My expectation is that Lakisha will go tonight and Blake will go next week. Any other result would destroy any credibility this show has.

May 09 2007 at 5:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sam

Stayin' Alive kind of hurt. And by "kind of," I mean REALLY!

I really liked Jordin's "Woman in Love," I was sad when it got dissed.

My current favourite is Blake, but even last night was kind of 'eh.'

May 09 2007 at 5:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
burl

I don't think it looks good for LaKeisha, although I like her.

Here's a take on it from a blog I like (adult language)

May 09 2007 at 4:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kat Okon

Aww JP... thank you.

As for Idol, (YAWN) I really hope you are wrong about the final two. After last night Blake has become my pick to win. I did not hear his second song (stupid weather) but even with the beat boxing Blake did the best. I am a big Bee Gees fan and their songs really should never be "Diva'd Out". I want to see Blake and Jordan in the end. Past that I don't care about Idol anymore.

So to talk about what I do care about, Your music and blogs =D You already know that some of your fans (the only opinions that matter, WAHAHA) fear withdraw when the season ends and we no longer get to read your blogs. I was happy to hear that you have thought about continuing and gave us a tentative yes. What would you blog about?

Do you think you could just blog about the daily goings on in your music career? You are always doing some kind of concert (I want "Beautiful"), making appearances, working on new music (I want "Beautiful"), meeting fans, and whatever else you do. (I want "Beautiful") I think people would like to read about what it takes to be successful in the music biz. You know like Scott whatever who is in desperate need of a shot to the pills =D

Oh and one more question... When will your song "Beautiful" be up for sale? LoL! I know I am evil but I want that song...

May 09 2007 at 3:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Samantha

I guess it's hard to sing the Bee Gees music because something sure seemed missing.

I don't know if they could have chose any BG song but I think for Blake "Jive Talkin" would have been straight up his alley. He could of beat boxed to his hearts content and it would have fitted right in there.
As for the ladies I just don't know. It's got to be difficult trying to sing songs that were written and sung by men. Sometimes that works and sometimes it doesn't.

I have to agree with Jon that it will be Lakisha going next. After that who knows? Jordans got the most room to grow and a very good voice, Melinda can sing thats for certain, and although I still don't really know exactly what Blakes voice sounds like he's a superb entertainer if you like his type which seems alot of folks do.

May 09 2007 at 2:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
cece

Melinda's voice has a voice that stands out from the crowd of idols and most every other female singer in the music industry, and Melinda has certinaly paid her dues!

I like Jordin too, but close your eyes when she sings and you can't tell her apart from a 1000 other singers.

Cece

May 09 2007 at 12:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dave

as bad as it hurt to say this.i am a blake fan.what was he thinking? lakisha hun its over.i belive that leave's us with melinda who can sing it all but last night was not here night.at 17 jordin will steal the show.she is an idol.Dave ca.

May 09 2007 at 12:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
rick cokely

I have to disagree, I thought that Blake was on his game last night. Yea he doesn't *have* to do the beatboxing every single song, but Jordin, Melinda, and Lakisha don't have to do the vocal runs every song either. It is apparent that Randy would have preferred the Justin Timberlake look-a-like to go forward instead of Blake because he does the runs way more often. That stuff gets tired and old, and after 231301283 American Idol clones they have already put out there, why shouldn't someone with talent and originality win the competition? Sorry, but the three ladies were pretty boring, with only Jordin doing a little bit extra to make it only slightly less boring.

My favorite was Melinda up until last night when I realized that she really is a one trick pony. I understand that people want to sing in their comfort zone, but honestly don't we have enough soul singers that have been voted American Idol? For that matter in the recording industry? Melinda has fallen behind even Jordin at this point for me because at least Jordin tries to feel comfortable outside of her zone. She picks up that country twang and inserts it into her soulful singing; but really its Blake who has the most talent this year. He may do the beatboxing a bit too much according to Randy, but I can't get enough!

May 09 2007 at 11:50 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply