October 25, 2014

House: Resignation

by Tom Biro, posted May 9th 2007 11:23AM
House - Resignation
(S03E22)
There are times when House seems like he's just a bit too smart when it comes to how he solves a particular case, and this week was one of those times. After being so sure of himself as to what the solution to the problem was with Addie, the college student, he just had it pop into his head randomly that she had tried to off herself in a creative way? Okay, if you say so.

Other than that bit of nitpick on my part, I thought this episode was actually pretty good. Foreman shared some *ahem* comments about his colleagues, such as not liking Chase, and Cameron stating that he thought she was weak. Neither of these things are a bit surprising, but will Chase's psych-out on Foreman and House, combined with Wilson's drugged-up rant and the minimal efforts by Cuddy, get Foreman to stick around? I'm not sure. Then again, do we really want Piper Perabo in the picture every single week?

Something I haven't done in a couple of weeks, at least on the regular, is actually laugh out loud at comments made on this show. Well, I guess Chase having done so a few times during it (suck up!) makes me just too into this show or something, but whatever. But the killer of it all was that House dosed Wilson with amphetamines in the same episode that Wilson dosed House with antidepressants. That's hysterical. And what's even more amusing is that they both used the same method, and neither was the wiser. Seeing Wilson give a breast exam to a woman while all hopped up was absolutely classic, and the fact that he winked at her was a bit uncomfortable, for sure. That said, when he had his little chat with Foreman about staying on House's team, I couldn't help but laugh out loud at what he was uttering.

As for Foreman's overall situation, his departure from the show would definitely be a bummer, in my opinion. I'm not sure they could replace him with anyone that had that same kind of working style, and the show's creators probably wouldn't, but what would they do in order to maybe fill some of the void as far as House's foil? Anyone have a for-sure prediction or any inside tips that Omar Epps will be back in action for another season, or are we all completely in the dark on this one, still?

What I do know is, I don't think that I want to see Piper Perabo as a long-term love interest for Dr. House. I mean, maybe she'd be amusing for a few weeks, but the character she's playing is either completely dense when it comes to a lot of things, or that she's just always playing that part. Hard to decide, and surely some huge Piper Perabo fan will have something to say here - I'm all ears. What I do know is, House has laid off (no pun intended) the prostitutes for so long this season he's got to have an itch somewhere, but what does this do for his potential for a hookup with Cuddy? I mean, she's got to have her baby sometime, no?

I'm actually having a tough time rating this episode overall. While I definitely liked it, I wasrating 5 disappointed by the potential intrusion by Piper Perabo and the seemingly determined Foreman signing his walking papers. That said, the usual brand of House humor (was he really videotaping the brain surgery on a woman whose head had just burst open, exposing her brain?) always makes a case for a good number, and giving drugs to colleagues (who are, again, in a hospital) without their knowledge definitely causes a stir for me. I'm going to give it a 5 on our TV Squad Ratings scale of 1-7. Only a couple weeks until this season's finale, and we're looking to hear what you all think will happen with a) Foreman b) Piper Perabo and c) Cuddy and Mr. Someone?

(House - S03E22) How do you rate this episode?
1 - Worst1 (0.4%)
27 (3.0%)
38 (3.4%)
425 (10.6%)
560 (25.5%)
688 (37.4%)
7 - Best46 (19.6%)

DeAnn

I thought this ep was hilarious as well, and yet I had that same qualm of wondering how House knew that his patient specifically took drain cleaner and put it in a capsule and swallowed it to try and kill herself. How the heck would he know that? He'd have to be omnipotent or something.
I also found the flighty vegan damsel something of a rip off...she doesn't seem like House's type. She doesn't appear to be too bright, after dumping her pudgy boyfriend because he ate a cheeseburger, but then being totally OK with House and his drug addiction, infidelity, carnivorous atributes, etc. So its okay for a guy who is 20 years older than you to do all this bad stuff while you date him, but its not okay for some poor schmuck you were dating before to just fall off the wagon once for a cheeseburger? Huh? That doesn't make sense. I imagine this will be a short lived affair, once House gets tired of this ditsy blonde not getting any of his jokes.
But the whole thing with Wilson, while reprehensible, was really funny. And I sincerely hope that Cuddy and House get together so she can have her much-desired baby. And I'd imagine that whomever they get to replace Foreman will shake things up considerably. It will be fun to watch.
But I am sure Forman will be back once he finds out that he can't shake the influence of House just by leaving his employ. He will discover that he's indelibly marked by Houses way of doing things.

May 11 2007 at 8:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Stevie

i laugh out loud at this show every week, and it's usually the play between house and wilson that does it. those two are fantastic together. and yes, this ep was wilson's tour de force. the incredulous look he gave house at "i got you an espresso," while reaching for his wallet, no less, was absolutely priceless, as was house's 'princess bride' switcheroo of the cups. capped off by wilson's comment about "the horsemen, the rain of fire, and the end of days." as if that wasn't hilarious enough, we get the scene of him hopped up. precious. those two are sick!
the only thing annoying me about the show is the stuff they don't explain, like how come the girl's infection didn't show up on any of their initial tests. seems like stuff like that has been happening more often.

May 09 2007 at 9:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Randy

A Spoilers Anonymous listing on this very blog mentioned that Omar Epps isn't leaving the show, so he's still there even if his character does go through and quit.

May 09 2007 at 9:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mel

House and Wilson dosing each other, and Wilson all hopped up on SPEEEEEEEEDD!!!!!! (his words, not mine) was just brilliant. I don't think I've ever laughed so hard at an episode of House, and I'm real giggler. House and Wilson are one of my favorite pairs on TV, and this storyline was really entertaining.

May 09 2007 at 4:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sean

Did she have a problem with her boyfriend eating flesh, or did she have a problem with the fact that he lied about becoming vegan?

May 09 2007 at 2:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rogphi

@ David. Oh, you Must Mean Hugh Laurie, He is Funny isnt he? Thats not his real accent either. well spotted! ;-)

May 09 2007 at 1:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Televinita

Piper Perabo is more entertaining than all 3 of House's employees combined.

May 09 2007 at 1:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
malren

My problem with Piper Perabo and her character is that she's too old.

Hear me out. She's supposed to be 26. That's a little bit old to still have a teen-ish crush on older men just because she's unfamiliar with "distinguished" older men that aren't her father, as many teen/very early twenties women do. She'd have outgrown that by now. She's too young to want to truly settle down with a guy approaching 50. She should either be 21 or 30...it just felt weird when they said she was 26 and she was so into House instantly like that.

Another bad piece of writing: she was ready to throw her boyfriend to the wolves because he ate meat. That was disgusting, is how she put it. One tiny line about how this "hottie" was with this goofy, pudgy loser because he was "accomplished" isn't enough to tell us that she;s so into older men she'd forgove House eating meat (along with the litany of his other issues).

She. Hates. People. Who. Eat. Flesh. But she'll be OK with it because he was honest? Weak.

Plus she's a bad actress.

May 09 2007 at 12:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
C C

I loved last night's episode. House and Wilson "dosing" eachother-classic. House always soars when they don't focus too much on the "case" to be solved and the fabulous main characters are allowed to take center stage. I like mysteries, but it's the human interactions between House, Wilson, Cuddy, Foreman, Cameron, and Chase that make the show.

May 09 2007 at 12:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jimmy

While this was a good episode I actually became annoyed with it. House is an ass, it's part of what makes him both a good and bad doctor, and those around House are just his enablers. The character of Foreman is a good doctor, easily the best of the three, and on par with House. He wants to be better than he is, grow into his own person as a doctor, and both Wilson and Cuddy want to hold him back. They want Foreman to ignore his internal conflict all for the "honor" of working with the great House. What kind of mentors and teachers are those? It would really shake up this show if Foreman left House's employ and began working with another doctor or department within the hospital. This little group needs a shake-up. Both Chase and Cameron would benefit from not having Foreman around -- it would force them to be stronger and more independent as doctors. If the writers choose to have Foreman stay with the team for whatever lame-ass reason they can come up with, I think they are losing a chance to develop the show in an interesting angle.

By the way, Piper Perabo sucks!

May 09 2007 at 12:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply