September 18, 2014

Lost producers discuss the final three seasons

by Erin Martell, posted May 9th 2007 7:01PM

Terry O'QuinnFollowing ABC's announcement that Lost will air for three more seasons, Damon Lindelof and Carlton Cuse shared some of their future plans with Entertainment Weekly. The producers discussed their excitement about Seasons Four through Six and previewed the Season Three finale. Among the highlights:

• All told, the six seasons of Lost will reach a total of 117 episodes.
  • Straight from the mouth of Damon Lindelof: "You won't have to wait until 2010 to get all the answers you really care about."
  • Cuse and Lindelof believe that a scheduled end date will satisfy fans' concerns about the writers' plans for the show.
  • Carlton Cuse mentioned that both he and Damon Lindelof looked at the show's scheduled end point as a condition for staying with the show.
  • The producers are pleased with the 16-episode seasons, since an uninterrupted season of 24 episodes is harder to make.
  • Season Four of Lost will premiere in February 2008, with no breaks between episodes. According to Carlton Cuse, there are "strong indications" that the show will get an earlier time slot.
  • Lindelof hinted that viewers will learn about a "significant event" from Jack's past in the season finale.
  • Mrs. Hawking (the woman from Desmond's flashbacks) will not be seen again this season, but will appear in later seasons.
  • Try to interpret Damon Lindelof's teaser for the season finale: "It will make you realize that the house you are standing in actually has a lot more rooms than you thought when you came into it." I like the sound of that!

Lost's season finale will air Wednesday, May 23, on ABC.

jarborra

OK here's the ending I think they're planning:

After three seasons of teasers and a slow trickle of answers, the Losties learn they all really are dead and that their plane is lying at the bottom of the ocean somewhere. They are in heaven/hell/purgatory.

Music swells and we cut to a deep ocean scene with the camera moving slowly through the crystal blue water. The Lost "sad theme" plays (you know the one I mean) as the camera comes up on Oceanic Flight 815, bruised and battered, but still intact on the ocean floor.

We dissolve to an interior shot of the plane, full of white corpses, still strapped to their chairs, oxygen masks floating around their heads. The camera tracks down the aisle of the plane and we pass the familiar faces we came to know and love over the past 6 seasons: Sayid, Kate, Sawyer, Locke, Jin, Sun, Charlie, Hurley, Claire, and finally Jack.

The camera rests on Jack's peaceful face when suddenly HIS EYES OPEN - the Lost "scary sound" plays - and we zoom in on his panicked wide open retina. Cut to black.

LOST

May 18 2007 at 4:30 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jbdean

I think the "other rooms" will be underground. We saw tunnels on the Swan map and I think that to believe all of this happens only above ground is silly. There is probably a whole "other" world below the island.

I'm still not thrilled that 1] the show ends in 3 more seasons, 2] that we have to wait 8 mos in between seasons & 3] that there will only be 16 ep per season. But I do not think the writers never had a clue as to where they were going with the show. I think it's just that with no end date set they didn't know how much to reveal as time went by without coming to the end too soon.

May 14 2007 at 2:33 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Nick

I’ll admit that I’m hooked! But forgiveness is not one of my strong points! The writers should have stated from the get-go that they had no clue where to take us after season one. Sometimes a bong hit leads you to the promised land, sometimes it leads you to twinkies.

May 10 2007 at 9:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bash

The other rooms most certainly will be the background of the natives we saw this episode and the fact that Alpert is one of them.

There's at least anough material for two other seasons just to explain slowly but steady how they ended up on the island and in the final season to get everything to nice ending with all the storylines of the 815ers, the Dharma initiative and the Others/Natives getting what they deserve - whatever that might be.

May 10 2007 at 9:28 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gordon Werner

I hope they don't end the show with an "Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge" moment or "Jacob's Ladder". While both good in their own right ... it would feel like a cop-out if that is how lost ends.

May 10 2007 at 2:24 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Justin

Adding rooms? The show started out as a 2 BR Ranch home and it's already been expanded to the Wayne Mansion. How many rooms can they have left?

May 09 2007 at 11:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
RedStarRevolution

I'm back and forth on this.

I like that they'll be able to plan out all the answers properly, unlike Alias, rushed to the end and never properly closed (Why was Sydney 'The One' wtf).

What I don't like is the 8 months in b/t, and then only 16 eps to whet the appetite before its gone for another 8 mos.

But, they had only planned on 100 episodes altogether, so we should be pleased there's another 17 there.

It's just kind of a bummer to know the end date of my favorite show probably ever, 3 yrs ahead of time...

May 09 2007 at 8:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
tcc3

Dont you mean a peninsula?

Wouldnt an archipelago (a large group of islands) be just as bad to get lost on?

May 09 2007 at 8:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
DREW

I think this is great news.

Like they say in the interview, better to suffer with a little waiting then to suffer from them canning the show or ruining it ala X-Files or Twin Peaks ad infinitum.

May 09 2007 at 7:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ahmed

well I think it is a good news that there will be more three sessons of lost, however I think all of we will suffer to be waiting.

)o: