September 16, 2014

Nielsen ratings for the week ending May 6

by Bob Sassone, posted May 9th 2007 8:22AM
Two and a Half MenHere are the weekly TV ratings, by number of viewers.

1. American Idol - Weds (FOX)
2. American Idol - Tues (FOX)
3. Grey's Anatomy (ABC)
4. House (FOX)
5. CSI (CBS)
6. Dancing with the Stars - Mon (ABC)
7. CSI: Miami (CBS)
8. Desperate Housewives (ABC)
9. Dancing with the Stars - Results (ABC)
10. Without A Trace (CBS)
11. NCIS (CBS)
12. Survivor (CBS)
13. Two and a Half Men (CBS)
14. Cold Case (CBS)
15. Criminal Minds (CBS)
16. King of Queens (CBS)
17. CSI: NY (CBS)
18. Shark (CBS)
19. Lost (ABC)
20. Deal or No Deal (NBC)

Peter

I've been keeping up with Heroes and I'm really not surprised it is no longer making it into the top 20. The story line has no consistency and what was once original and intelligent material has been replaced with contrived material full of inconsistencies and heavy CGI effects. I think people realized it wasn't all that great when the writing got dummied down to the point that it was almost insulting. It's only a matter of time before people realize it's not great just because the say it is. They didn't live up to their hype and no one wants to waste the hour when the story doesn't keep you interested.

May 15 2007 at 9:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jon

Also with networks offering online viewing it must take away from the actual ratings. I found myself watching Brothers & Sisters online this past week. It was actually better than the network airing as you only have to endure 3 30 second spots for Sears. The online quality is amazing today with high speed.

May 09 2007 at 8:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mdisloki

Great point Jake, my only problem with DVDs and itunes is that good serial shows wont ever get past the first few episodes. Case in point: Drive. I didn't watch Drive but I felt like it had a good premise and chance, but people don't care enought to invest scheduled time. They should film the rest of that show (and shows like it) and just put it out on DVD and online.

May 09 2007 at 4:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David

Um, where's HEROES ????

May 09 2007 at 12:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jake

#7

I don't think you're out of your mind. In fact, I think procedural and reality shows fare great with first run and repeat watchings, but will these shows be remembered in 20 years? Other than CSI, the first one, or Survivor, the first hit reality show, probably not. I would argue, however, that there is only one quality show on that list: Lost. Another thing; I think that DVD sales and Itunes sales of the serialized shows prove that they are more endearing. People want to own those shows. That means they are good enough that people want to watch them repeatedly. Has anyone ever really wanted to rewatch an episode of a procedural drama?

May 09 2007 at 11:19 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mdisloki

It really disappoints me to see ratings that look like that. I'm not really sure what I want to see up there instead of the 7 investigations shows that are all very similar, and the 6 reality shows that I watch and then ridicule. I'm not even sure what my point is other than, I think there are only two or three quality shows on that list....... I know, people just want fast, pointless show that you don't have to think about too much.

Am I out of my mind, or what?

May 09 2007 at 11:03 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
M. L. Burrwell

Not feeling House anymore. Yes, where is Brothers and Sisters? Also Cold Case beats Desperate Housewives any day.

May 09 2007 at 10:49 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jon

No Brothers & Sisters in the T20? Saw that CSI abc thing too.

May 09 2007 at 10:21 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ryan

Aw. No Heroes? Sad. Still sadder? Deal or No Deal is the only show for NBC that's in the top 20. Ouch.

May 09 2007 at 10:06 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Hugeliver

Where's The Unit!?!?!? DAMN!

Huh. 24 is nowhere to be seen either. Not surprising.

May 09 2007 at 9:35 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply