December 19, 2014

Rush Limbaugh defends 24, says there are no sharks in sight

by Meredith O'Brien, posted May 9th 2007 8:01PM
Rush Limbaugh While critics -- and TV Squad commenters -- may be wondering if Jack Bauer's time has run out as ratings for 24 have dropped this season, radio talk show host Rush Limbaugh defended one of his favorite shows saying that 24 has not jumped the shark.

Noting that the show's creators are friends of his who have been swamped with work, including other projects, Limbaugh told a caller who asked if 24's salad days were behind it, that he expects next season will be thrilling. "They're going to be back next year with an entirely different concept about this in a whole lot of different ways," Limbaugh said.

Acknowledging complaints from many fans (I'm raising my hand here) that Gregory Itzin and Jean Smart were wasted this season as the Logans were only given but fleeting screen time, Limbaugh urged fans, ". . . [D]on't give up on it."

[via TV Tattle]

Eddy Bailey

The show has succumbed to the feminist’s sisterhood in the recasting of Jack Bauer into a ‘Kinder Softer’ man. IT IS NOT WORKING. Put the real Jack back in and get rid of this sissy Jack.

May 14 2007 at 8:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rich

Please don't get all flustered because Rush has defended the show. You people that jump on Rush's case don't even listen to his show. You simply read or listen to the liberal media and then parrot what they say. Do you even know when his show airs, much less what he says?

May 14 2007 at 3:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
const

The thought of all the rabid lefties who visit this site and enjoy 24 realizing that they share someting in common with the "boogeyman" is quite enjoyable.

Time to stop demonizing people and look at your self in the mirror. It's amazing the similarities that reflect back at you.

May 10 2007 at 8:35 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
PORSCHE

Wow, that Chloe kiss was kind of hot.

Who cares if Rush likes the show or is friends with the stars.. It could be worse..he could be on the show.

The speed racer movie is all but ruined thanks to Susan suranden being in it..I can only hope her part is small.

May 10 2007 at 2:55 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jason Elias

Rush is defending the show so much because of Joel Surnow. Surnow is another writer who is becoming more known for his political view. Surnow even gave money to Rick Santorum...

May 09 2007 at 10:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Netdiva

Is it any wonder Rush is defending the show? His girlfriend is "Chloe."

May 09 2007 at 9:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brian

I was listening at the time, and Rush said something along the lines of, "Its impossible for 24 to jump the shark. Jack Bauer would get off the motorcycle and stab the shark." Again, not an exact quote. But regardless of your political views (and I realize Rush is quite the polarizing figure), I think that is something we can ALL agree with.

May 09 2007 at 9:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mel

I feel dirty liking 24 now.

May 09 2007 at 9:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
RedStarRevolution

I was sticking with 24 throughout the 'struggles' of this season, because it has been great in the majority of seasons, and I've watched since the start.

The simple fact that Rush Limbaugh is defending this show, putting me on...his...side *shudder* is making me rethink the whole damn thing.

And I'd just like to issue a citation to Horatio for the over-use of the word 'defend'. It's lost all meaning for me now, probably for months...thanks alot...

May 09 2007 at 9:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jordan

Instead of "jumping the shark", we now have "Defended by Rush" as a statement when a show has lost its appeal.

Usage: Wow this show needs to be Defended by Rush; When did Rush Defend this? This show was defended by Rush a month ago. Rush has been Defending this show since the very 1st season.

May 09 2007 at 8:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply