Insider perspective on Idol results shows

by Jon Peter Lewis, posted May 10th 2007 12:21PM

Jon Peter LewisNo surprises tonight with Lakisha going home. She's had a great run and lasted a lot longer than I expected, to be honest. Not that I think she isn't good. She's great; but I expected that, since she and Melinda have a similar thing going on, one would have canceled the other out a lot sooner -- like Fantasia and Jennifer Hudson.

During tonight's episode, I found myself thinking about results shows in general. I remember it being especially hard on the crew and production staff almost as much as the contestants. What you don't see while the camera is practically shoved up the teary-eyed contestant's nose is that on the other end one of the tattooed operators is trying to hold back his emotions too. I always heard Debbie, the stage manager, say at the start of most results shows something to the effect of "I hate this part."

I've said before here on the blog what I hated most; those song and dance numbers were a freakin' doozy. Almost as bad was waiting to see what Ford had concocted for us that week. We only had a day of shooting to get that little Ford spot done, so it was anyone's guess how they'd turn out.

As a side note, I think the production of those has gotten better over the last couple years, but the time constraint is still evident in the quality.

Despite all the tension and build up to Tuesdays and Wednesdays, I always looked forward to the shows -- that was when we had the most time to rest. The song selection was over, there weren't any more dance rehearsals or Fantastic Four-style schmooze fests to be had. Just a sound check and a dress rehearsal. And the actual show, of course.

Then, after the results were in and the final appearances for the night were made, everyone had dinner together and said their goodbyes. Early the next morning, your AT&T-sponsored phone stopped working and a car would be waiting to take you away for a week on a press tour. Kind of a downer really. Then, it was off home to wait for the finale. That should be a quick trip for Lakisha.

Jon Peter Lewis was a finalist on the third season of "American Idol." His newly released debut album, "Stories From Hollywood," is available everywhere online and can also be downloaded at americanidol.com. Visit Jon's Web site for more.

Samantha

As much as I hate to bring up race would anyone have thought anything about Jon's view on Melinda and Lakisha if HE were other then White??

May 16 2007 at 3:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Robert

There are no losers from last nights show. It's going to be a tough night for the voters.

May 16 2007 at 8:24 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Epyphyny

I have an issue with Jon feeling that BOTH Lakeshia & Melinda could not have continued in the competition. And as much as I hate to bring up race, I see no other reason for him to express that concept other than the fact that both women are Black. I'm curious to know if he would have the same opinion if there were two Caucasion women remaining. In my humble opinion, America chose/voted/etc for the performer they felt most drawn to, and this time around, Lakeshia received less votes. But then, that's how I feel everytime one of the contestants leaves. Black/White/Brown, doesn't matter to me. Performance speaks for itself....And if I'm not mistaken, isn't VARIETY in styles & performance part of their talents? Part of what our votes are based on? Lakeshia and Melinda have nothing in common in those areas, so that can't be what his opinion is based on. The only other obvious choice would have to be their race.
How sad. And he's giving a professional critique?? LOL

May 16 2007 at 12:34 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Julie Vail

I'm an AI freak. This show has been very successful and look how many

May 15 2007 at 7:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Julie Vail

I'm an AI freak. This show has been very successful and look how many succesful singers have comed out of this. It's been high in the ratings every week. It's also been alot better than the other shows.

May 15 2007 at 7:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Samantha

Thats sad that they take the cell phones away so fast cheap bastards.

May 11 2007 at 1:03 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
vacelts

I agree that I find myself teary-eyed during the last five minutes of the result show even if I wasn't a huge fan of the contestant (with the exception of Sanjaya -- I was so ready for him to go).

May 10 2007 at 1:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dina

Pink's performance was taped.

May 10 2007 at 1:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dina

Pink's performance was taped.

May 10 2007 at 1:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David

So who is the asshole that messed up all the mics during last nights show. You couldn't hear Pink, The Final Bore song and it messed up, and then the Bee Gee guy they should have shut the microphone off.

May 10 2007 at 12:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply