July 30, 2014

My Name is Earl: The Trial (season finale)

by Brad Linder, posted May 10th 2007 9:41PM
Earl the Trial(S02E23) Next season on My Name is Earl: a very special crossover episode starring Prison Break's Wentworth Miller. When Hickey and Scofield find themselves sharing a bunk in a Panamanian prison, Scofield tries to break Earl out, but failing that promises to take over Earl's list.

But seriously, everything that happened in this episode was entirely predictable -- about 10 seconds in advance. Earl hooks up with the deaf lawyer. Saw that coming, a few seconds before it happened. Deaf lawyer dumps Earl after taking a closer look at his list. I needed about 15 seconds for that one. Earl makes a sacrifice to help Joy. Not too surprising.

Probably my favorite, "saw this coming" moment was the moment Dog the Bounty Hunter showed up in Mexico and Joy gushed over him. Of course, given how the folks of Camden County obsess over Cops, it's not surprising that Joy's a big fan.

I wasn't really sure after last week's episode how the program was going to work with Earl holding down a steady job. I don't know about you, but I'm exhausted after a full day's work and I don't think I'd have time to cross a few hundred items off a list, especially considering how much work most of those tasks seem to take.

So I was pretty certain Earl would lose his job. I just didn't expect he'd wind up sentenced to a two year prison term. I suppose the show could pick up two years in the future with a hardened Earl dissing the list and fighting karma. We've seen plenty of other shows take a similar approach, but they're usually action shows like Alias or 24. In fact, the whole cliffhanger ending felt more like something I'd expect from Prison Break than My Name is Earl.

That's not necessarily a bad thing. Because as predictable as everything was a few seconds in advance, I wouldn't have predicted any of what happened in this episode last week. And that's good. For a show that's often quite predictable, it's nice to have a few surprises beyond wondering what will come out of Randy's mouth.

I mean come on, "I brought a weeble for the judge to smack with his hammer. I always wanted to see what made these things not fall down." That's precious.

It was also interesting seeing the many sides of Joy in this episode. On the one hand, Earl couldn't find a character witness who wouldn't complain about Joy getting drunk and having a threesome with her parents or wearing a bikini to church. On the other hand, she saved her prison lunch pudding cups for her children and found a way to get a dead pony on roller skates for a kid's party. She's a good mom (and a terrible human being).

rating 7On TV Squad's scale of 1 to 7, I'm going to give the season finale a 7. It was a great ensemble episode, bringing back several characters we haven't seen in a while, and fleshing out the characters we know and love like Joy and Darnell. But most importantly, that cliffhanger has grabbed my attention, and I can't wait for the show to come back for its third season this fall.

(My Name Is Earl - S02E23) How do you rate this episode?
1 - Worst1 (0.4%)
21 (0.4%)
31 (0.4%)
43 (1.1%)
523 (8.7%)
675 (28.3%)
7 - Best161 (60.8%)

benny

do'es anyone knows the name of the song (theme) that in the end of evry episode of "my name is Earl"? (with the harmonican and stuf...)

July 15 2007 at 8:01 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
tom

what was the name of the song just before "House of the Rising Sun" ??

July 10 2007 at 10:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dave

That Boogie Nights reference was great! Plus the Rudy reference last week. Dows Earl typically nod to movies like that? I've never noticed before

May 14 2007 at 2:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cody

dave: that song was "Can't You Hear Me Knocking?" by the Rolling Stones. That song was so amazingly perfect for a scene where two men are robbing a deaf woman that that moment makes this one of my favorite episodes.

May 12 2007 at 10:55 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dave

What was the song during the "Robbin' the Deaf" scene?

May 11 2007 at 11:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gina

ok someone beat me to the punch, and I have to acknowlege that I spelled SUN wrong. grrrrr

May 11 2007 at 5:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gina

The song was "House of the Rising Son" by The Animals.
I only know because my step son plays this song all the time on his guitar and he and his dad sing it :-)

May 11 2007 at 5:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mel

I thought it was fantastic. Yeah, I did see it coming with Earl taking the blame for the crime, but they did it very well. The Turner family montage set to Baba O'Riley was just perfect, as was the ending with House of the Rising Sun. (Which I bought as soon as the episode ended.) Very striking. Some interesting turns, with Earl falling for Ruby (I really wonder how that will turn out), and running into Ralph again. I'm also wondering what will happen with Randy and Catalina now that he's moved out of the motel. They haven't touched on that in a while. Other things I loved were Crabman's hair (Firefly flashbacks!), Randy's deep angry monster voice when Earl wanted to wake the kids up, and, for some reason, the line about Joy getting a dozen buckets of KFC to Dodge's kindergarden graduation even when she was hung over, PMSing, and had two infected tattoos was my favorite.
Come to think of it, I've been waiting for them to do a storyline dealing with whoever Dodge's real father is. Maybe next season.

May 11 2007 at 5:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
A Viewer

Totally hilarious episode. So many great moments, from the long chain of translators to "ROBBIN' THE DEAF!" to Earl's 911 calls to Crab Man's hair to the joke where he says that the other half of his heaart necklace is in his colon to Mr. Turtle to Randy screaming a "One-tone" to Earl thinking that Ruby's deaf "accent" was sexy. It was packed with laughs. One of the best episodes of the season.

Karim, the song at the end is "House of the Rising Sun" by the Animals.

May 11 2007 at 5:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Karim

Does anyone know the name of the song that played during the end of trial. When Earl took all the blame?

May 11 2007 at 4:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply