July 22, 2014

CSI: The Good, The Bad & The Dominatrix

by Jonathan Toomey, posted May 11th 2007 10:46AM

Melinda Clarke as Lady Heather on CSI.(S07E23) "So now you're building your own?!?" -Catherine

A fan favorite returns. This was only Melinda Clarke's fourth appearance as Lady Heather on CSI, and I'm fascinated with how much they've developed her character in that short time frame. It just proves that good writing can go a long way, especially when the notion of "less is more" is kept in mind.

The episode started off quite unexpectedly, as we were reintroduced to Heather in a situation that didn't exactly jive with her own beliefs. She's a dominatrix, so why has she put herself in a submissive role? Recall what she told her late daughter Zoey in her very first appearance? Something like, give your body and heart to a man but never your power? Well now Heather is ignoring her own advice. Sounds like a good premise for an episode to me.

The story itself was extremely well laid out and I loved how it tied into Heather's previous story-lines. After the death of her daughter Zoey, Doc Robbins informed Heather that she had a granddaughter out there somewhere. Once found, Heather lost any visitation rights to her ex-husband (the child's grandfather). Being a dominatrix isn't exactly a good profession in the mind of the court. You could really see how this was affecting her though. Heather was clearly depressed and despite her diabetes, she developed quite the taste for rare single-malt scotch. So rather than do nothing for her granddaughter, she was willing to sacrifice herself to a violent client in exchange for over $800,000 to fund the child's future. Not your typical tear jerker, but it was still touching.

It brought to light the relationship that Grissom shared wither Heather though. He gets her and this definitely did not sit well with Sara. Speaking of her, who wants to bet that she has some kind of connection to the adoption file from Ernie Dell that Greg was looking into? Anyone who speculated that Lady Heather was the Miniature Killer can breathe easy now. I still think it's going to be Sara.

Elsewhere, we finally got a whole episode where Warrick said more than one line. He and Greg worked together on a standard hit and run case involving some bad blood between two cabbies. Now I admit that I've missed a few episodes here and there, but Warrick mentioned that he had a kid (when he picked up the heavy purse). Is that the first mention of him having a child or did I miss something? Besides, I thought things weren't going too well with his wife Tina?

Also worth talking about...

• Before discovering that dead guy, Brass and Catherine were gossiping and Brass was about to talk about something "juicy?" I assume he knows about Grissom and Sara?
  • What's with Grissom's miniature replica of his own office? What's he trying to achieve?
  • Now that Greg is on loan to Ecklie and the day-shift, are we not going to be seeing him in next week's finale?

rating 6So yeah, next week is the end of the seventh season as I just mentioned. "Living Doll." We'll finally find out the identity of the Miniature Killer and I honestly can't wait. I haven't been this excited about an episode of CSI since the Tarantino directed installment from a few years ago. As far as this one goes? Well done. 6 out of 7.

staceynkc

I am with you PB. Never been a big Sara fan. I can't put my finger on it, but I never thought she was that attractive or intriguing. Additionally, I don't know what to make of her random, sporatic, British accent. Has anyone noticed that besides me? It's when she asks a question...like "Do you think that's possible?" with the enunciation on possible.
I don't guess that I hope for her to leave the show, I just never liked her and Grissom together. It's kind of icky.

May 14 2007 at 4:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
PB

I'm guessing that Brass knows about Grissom and Sara ... what else about Grissom would be "juicy" gossip?

I like this episode a lot, mainly because of Lady Heather. Such a great counterpart to Grissom. I hope they keep bringing her back.

Not to sound too mean, I'm hoping the contract negotiations with Jorja Fox fall through ... I haven't liked the Sara character since the start of the series, and I don't think Jorja is a great actress. I'd like to see some new blood in the team.

Bring Greg back to the regular team!! I'd hate to think he'd miss out on a great case because he has to work with Ecklie!

May 11 2007 at 10:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MyPrecious_1

My comment is about Grison.........

Grisdon, for all the times I watched the show I looked up to you as a man with a good sense of will. You always did the right thing when your staff needed help either on the job or in there personal life.....And Grisdon although a good man can in fact be seduced I would hope you at least fell bad and TRY and make up with Sara. Lady Heather is a "PIG" . YOU just have think of all the MAN and WOMAN she been with.
IT IS SICK..........GO back No crawl back to Sara and tell her how much you love and need here.

To the BIG SHOTS at CSI.....leave the show alone ....DO NOT KILL SARA off the show..............SHE IS NEEDED ........

Thanks Terry

May 11 2007 at 6:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mrkorb

I also thought I heard "kit" but the closed captions said "kid." Of course, I've also seen closed captions display dialog that is never spoken, miss ad-libs by actors, and even display wildly inaccurate or non-existent song lyrics.

May 11 2007 at 6:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Televinita

As far as the identity of the miniature killer goes, I am going to laugh SO hard when you finally see the season finale.

So hard.

May 11 2007 at 5:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chester

If the miniature killer is Sara, then she sees Grisom making one and stinging from jealousy by Lady Heather decides to frame Grisom by using his mini as hers and kills Lady Heather or herself Grisom is now in the frame for murder!!

May 11 2007 at 5:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dave

4am, very nice analysis. That sounds very reasonable.

I'll bet his miniature becomes the next crime scene. Not that he's the killer, but the killer will take advantage of the mini and kill someone there.

May 11 2007 at 1:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mseve68

The kid that Warrick used during the reenactment was his niece not his stepdaughter.

May 11 2007 at 1:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tna

Warrick said "kit" not kid.

May 11 2007 at 12:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
magellon

Just checked. It is "kid" on Closed Caption.

May 11 2007 at 12:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply