April 21, 2014

Wedding Crashers crashes and burns

by Paul Goebel, posted May 11th 2007 1:49PM

Tom GreenI always get depressed this time of the year because I know that along with the summer months come the end of all my favorite TV shows. In some cases, they go away forever and I am forced to replace them with lesser quality summer shows. This season, however, I received some truly happy news. Wedding Crashers has been canceled!

I am so over the so-called prank shows that pull the most harmless candy ass pranks. Shows like Wedding Crashers, Punk'd and Girls Behaving Badly are the modern version of Candid Camera. The difference is that Candid Camera did it first and in the early days of TV, it was truly groundbreaking. It is sad that fifty years later someone still thinks that practical jokes make for edgy TV.

The more of these lame shows I see the more I miss the brilliance of Tom Green. I know Green was childish and shocking and appealed to the lowest common denominator but for all his faults, he had balls (no pun intended). Tom Green was fearless. He didn't care who he pissed off, whether it was his parents or total strangers who threatened to do him physical violence. I remember one time when I was a kid, I was at a carnival playing the "pop the balloon with a water gun game" and I aimed the gun at a friend as if I was going to squirt him. Even though I chickened out, I spent the rest of the day wishing I had the sack to squirt my buddy and ruin his day. When I saw Tom Green do that very thing on his show I loved it and when the woman he squirted proceeded to beat the crap out of him, he became my hero.

I know a lot of you are sick of the reality television. I, for one, am not. I just wish it was a little more real.

Che

I'm not perfect, but who are we kidding, neither are you. And you want to know what? I dig it.~
Jeremy Grey from Wedding Crashers

July 23 2007 at 2:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Peanut

I'm sick of reality television, and I know a lot of people who agree.

May 11 2007 at 6:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Justin

I think Tom Green was the Andy Kaufmann of Gen X--he pushed the envelope in a way that seemed childish and at times talentless, but in the end he made a huge splash and move comedy in a direction that hadn't been explored in awhile. Now everyone's going back to be super-PC because good forbid we hurt someone's feelings or say something truthful.

May 11 2007 at 5:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chris

I knew this show was going to fail from when I heard about it, this is just one of the many dumb decisions NBC has made this season.

Not all reality tv is bad some show are entertaining but this is not one of them.

May 11 2007 at 4:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David

Strike three! NBC fails yet again!

Maybe they will finally move Medium back to 10pm Eastern on Mondays! There's a thought!

May 11 2007 at 2:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
VSJ

"I know a lot of you are sick of the reality television." Oh, Paul, now let's not make gross general assumptions...There are millions upon millions of viewers each and every week that keep the Reality machine going and employed (myself included)...

May 11 2007 at 2:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tricia

I watched the first episode. While the pranks were kind of funny, the fact that it was a hour long, plus we had to be reminded every few minutes that the bride and groom knew about it, we had to see a re-cap of the prank a couple of times, and the annoying voice over, going on and on about how funny they were, well, I can see why it was cancelled. To have four different weddings in an hour, showing the prank WITHOUT explanation (we GET it, already!), that would have been more watchable. But I never tuned into it anymore. Apparently, I was not alone. I am old enough to have watched the original Candid Camera - it was much better than the newer stuff.

May 11 2007 at 2:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply