November 26, 2014

Something for you Family Guy fans - VIDEO

by Paul Goebel, posted May 12th 2007 3:04PM

Peter GriffinFor years I've been saying that Family Guy was a poor man's The Simpsons. I stopped saying this when it became clear that fans of Family Guy didn't really care one way or the other. I've seen many examples of Family Guy's second rate brand of comedy but now someone has gone that extra step.

A new video has premiered on YouTube that shows specific examples of how Family Guy has repeated exact scenes that were previously used on The Simpsons. I know I'm going to get a load of angry comments about this but I doubt any of them will be able to defend such lazy writing. Sure, I admit that a few of these clips might just be coincidences but a good writer doesn't let that happen. If Family Guy were that hilarious, ground-breaking show that it's fans insist it is, there wouldn't be any similarities at all.

Watch the video and make your own decisions. Video after the jump.

GhaleonQ

I despise both shows, but this post was terrible. Good gawd, man.

May 14 2007 at 1:03 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Raheem

I am a HUGE Simpsons fan. Family Guy...I'm an idle observer who gets a kick out of them every so often. Even before I saw this video, I recognized that some of the gags were similar to ones on the Simpsons, especially the dog-track one.

That said, those are old FG episodes. I'd like to see if they are still copying (intentional or not) gags from Simpsons episodes. I certainly don't notice them. Family Guy is a different beast than the Simpsons. It goes further with its random humor, and it works to make you laugh. No more, no less.

[as far as if Simpsons is still funny, gags have been used before, and all that...that's a whole other bag of rabid squirrels]

May 13 2007 at 8:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Josh

Family Guy is hilarious. Period. Who cares if 4 minutes out of 4 seasons is somewhat sorta similar to things that aired on The Simpsons? And even then, you're stretching and taking things out of context to make the comparison.

May 13 2007 at 4:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dan

If you'd seen the episodes in question you'd realize how dissimilar those scenes really are. It's easy to find a couple of seconds of seemingly "shockingly similar" video when you're looking through a lifetime's worth of episodes. If you actually sat down and watched them you'd see how little the two have in common.

And more to the point, Family Guy is simply more funny. One of them makes me laugh, one makes me wonder why I used to like it so much... so sad that their movie is coming out this year. From the reviews I've read on AICN, it seems that the Family Guy straight-to-dvd movie was a hundred times better.

May 13 2007 at 2:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mayorjimmy

People outta be more concerned about when Simpsons copy themselves rather than when the think Family Guy does. Cuz there's some seriously NOT funny stuff they can't lay off.

- Lisa hates America/Big business/"the man". oh my god how original, cuz they never show her hating the establishment.

- Homer and Marge break up and make up. i've officially lost track of how many separations/divorces/remarriages they've had. all i can count is how many times it's funny. none.

- Writers showing they don't like the war in Iraq. thanks for the info subtle-ville. how about you leave news to the real news people and you go back to reminding us how good the show USED to be.

May 13 2007 at 1:40 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tim

Here's the difference for me: Family Guy makes me laugh.

Seriously, every one of those bits is a cliche that have all been done a million times over. The Simpsons has ceased having an importance in society for nearly 10 years now. The only reason it is on the air is because Fox needs something to fill the holes left by all the other good shows that it cancels before they have a chance to build audiences and to buffer shitty American Idol.

May 13 2007 at 1:23 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mel

I don't care. I'm entertained either way.

May 12 2007 at 11:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rob

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery

... or is that flatulence?

Either way it works.

May 12 2007 at 9:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
nOva

This was funny, but it's not that serious, guys. Relax.

May 12 2007 at 8:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply