October 20, 2014

7th Heaven: And Away We Go (series finale. We're serious this time)

by Richard Keller, posted May 13th 2007 10:27PM

Eric Camden in the 7th Heaven finale

(S11E22) For some reason I have a case of deja vu right now. That must be due to the fact that 7th Heaven already had a series finale last year. We all thought that was the last we would see of the Camdens, at least in first-run episodes that is. However, by some miracle (or greed, you take your pick) the executives over at the brand new CW network decided to bring the show back one more time.

It was probably the biggest mistake they could've made. The 7th Heaven that premiered on the CW back in September barely resembled the show that was one of the most popular on the old WB. Other than Lucy and the twins (whose acting skills made the Olsen twins look like master thespians while they were on Full House) there was barely a Camden left. The rest of the cast was filled out with Martin and Sandy, and three new teens who became part of the extended family.

As if that wasn't enough damage to the series, the creators of the show decided to mess with the fans a bit more by giving Eric Camden a fatal heart disease; one that was bound to kill him at the end of the season. No one was happy with that bit of news, and I'm sure that the headquarters of the CW would have been burnt to the ground by an angry mob if the series finale ended up at Eric's funeral. Luckily, wiser heads prevailed and they made Eric heal up real fast last week.

Which brings us to this year's series finale. Look, I didn't expect it to surpass last year's finale where Matt, Mary and Lucy were all expecting twins: it was silly but cute and sweet at the same time. But, I thought they would have done something more than produce the suckfest that I watched. Good Lord, that whole finale could've been placed into a fifteen minute block of programming! Did the producers of the show really think that was going to satisfy the fans of the show?

To summarize, Eric's parents (the Colonel and Ruth) present him with a huge RV as a gift for overcoming his sickness. In an impetus moment Eric and Annie decide to toss all of their responsibilities away and hit the road to see America. However, since no one seems to be able to live in Glen Oak without Eric around everyone decides to join him on his journey. The whole episode revolves around him and the others getting ready for the trip. Exciting television, I tell ya!

That was basically the plot for the entire hour. There were some brief side stories, like Ruthie telling Martin that she's in love with T-Bone rather than him, and Lucy and Kevin wondering if Eric lied to them about his condition. Not much after that, though. While we're on the subject of Lucy, she turned into the most annoying person on the show. The entire season presented her as a shrilly, slightly crazed woman who seemed to be one step away from a nervous breakdown. Meanwhile, her husband Kevin seemed to be a bit whipped and just going along with the motions.

The thing that disappointed me most was the last five or so minutes of the finale. During the show a rule was passed out that one small suitcase and three personal possessions were allowed on their journey. The last part of the finale was Eric inspecting all of the travelers and seeing what three items they brought along. That's good television? I've seen more action on C-Span. Where was the emotion that a series finale should bring, especially one for a show that was a fan favorite for a decade? They could have done better.

A '2' rating for the 7th Heaven series finaleOn a scale between 1 and 7, where one is considered worst, I would love to give the season finale of 7th Heaven a rating of '1'. But, because I was a fan of the show when it was about just the Camdens, I will take that into consideration and give it a rating of

I await your opinion (or your bile-laced criticism) with anticipation.

(7th Heaven - S11E22) How do you rate this episode?
1 - Worst526 (29.4%)
2254 (14.2%)
3190 (10.6%)
4187 (10.4%)
5132 (7.4%)
677 (4.3%)
7 - Best425 (23.7%)

Pam

The entire 11th season should never have happened! The final episode could have been condensed into 15 minutes. What responsible long-time pastor would just decide to leave home like a run-away teen without planning for his congregation? There's no way that the entire cast could fit into one RV. I was laughing by the end instead of crying to see one of my favorite shows end. I'd had enough of the whole Jane/Margaret/T-Bone subplot. Every time one Camden kid left home magically more kids would appear and move in. I will miss the show, but not the last season.

May 21 2007 at 10:02 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Nicole

I thought the series finale was fine, except for one thing. I thought that Ruthie should have picked Martin. Why have Martin admit his true feelings for Ruthie if nothing was going to happen between them? T-Bone should have gone off with his dad and Martin should have gone on the road trip with Ruthie and his son, Aaron.

May 18 2007 at 3:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
darleneF

I was very disappointed with the series finale. Actually I have been disappointed with the show for the past few years. It's hard to welcome new cast members especially when they really have no rhyme or reason. I hated that everyone kept moving into the Camden home. That was so unrealistic. The only thing that I can say is, I have the first 3 seasons on DVD, and when I need a dose of the original Camden family, I sit down and indulge myself.

May 17 2007 at 11:56 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brenda

To Trish,
I often wondered about the financial thing with Eric, too. I do know that Kevin had money from something--can't remember if it was a trust fund or what--but in a previous episode during a conversation between him and Lucy, he told her that they were set financially and wouldn't ever need to worry about money.

May 17 2007 at 9:06 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Holly Keller

I let Tivo record this last show and when I watched it, it put me to sleep. I woke up and tried again, but gave up. I thought I had deleted it, but found it was simply on pause tonight...so, since I wasn't so tired, watched it again. I began to think that perhaps Erik had died and this was his version of heaven, as in "I'm in 7th Heaven!" (Thus the name on the RV.) The song at the end is a very old one and is on the soundtrack of 'O Brother, Where Art Thou? It's about dying and flying away. Couldn't the whole thing about the driver who shows at the end who Erik thinks isn't who he appears to be...may be some sort of figure like Peter at the Pearly Gates? And perhaps the concept of packing one suitcase with your belongings and only being able to take three special items with you (for Erik's approval) is about what's important in life at the moment (as in reflections during one's funeral/memorial service)? There must be some significance to the helper coming to take the RV out of the yard (how did it get there in the first place?) and then Erik just driving it away while looking in his rear view mirror and smiling. Everyone couldn't possibly drop everything in their lives and go with Erik and Annie, nor could they all board the RV with all that stuff, but they could attend a funeral and say their goodbyes before Erik passes on to 7th Heaven. Maybe, just maybe, the writers wanted to really make us think. And maybe, just maybe, life isn't as complicated as we all think it is, and certainly has been on the show. Just an idea. Someone very dear to me, who I had recently seen after 35 years, just suddenly died and this has me thinking, as I had a very spiritually connected dream the other night, involving this person's spirit. It was rather cosmic.

May 17 2007 at 12:18 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Trish

What planet do these people live on anyway? Nobody ever seemed to have financial problems. Nobody ever seemed to really have to work hard Didn't they need a job to have health coverage? Did Kevin have a trust fund? He, Lucy and Savannah could live on an Assistant Pastor's Salary? And the food - they always had food for everyone and lots of it - was Eric on a trust fund, too? How did they pay bills? Eric hadn't worked in a long long time. And Sandy made it look so easy to be an unwed mother, go to school, live in a nice apartment, and snag a doctor. This show used to be enjoyable and always had something relevant to say, but the way this past year presented the family no more than a fairy tale. I give this show a -5

May 16 2007 at 2:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brenda

I will miss 7th Heaven but the old 7th Heaven. This season was not so great with all the new kids living with the Camdens. I agree about Lucy--she was way too whiny. My daughter and I often commented on her and how it was a wonder she ever found a man and got married--she was so neurotic! I thought the finale was good except for everyone having to go with them--that was too far-fetched. They deserved time alone for a change. I also noticed the guardian angel at the end but I didn't consider the fact that maybe Eric did die. On another note, I never watched Everwood but apparently I missed a pretty good show.

May 16 2007 at 11:47 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sam

What no one seems to realize here is that Eric dies in the series finale. Have a listen to the lyrics to the song that plays while everyone is boarding the RV. Eric is starting his journey in heaven and Stanley is his angel there to lead him...

May 16 2007 at 1:52 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
john

THE CW EVEN RUINED SUNDAY MORN.THE MOST EDUCATIONAL SHOW THEY HAD,LIBERTYS KIDS AND PUT ON SOME MINDLESS STRAWBERRY STUIPDNESS.THEY LOST ALL THE GOOD PROGRAMING THEY HAD WHEN THEY SHUT OFF EVERWOOD,GILMORE GIRLS.THE CW SUCKS

May 15 2007 at 8:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Missy

I didn't realize the CW had renewed 7th Heaven this year; otherwise I would've been watching the whole time. However, even watching the finale made me realize the show had "jumped the shark" a long time ago. I agree with the comment about Annie's mid-life crisis. Or when the twins were born (again, I agree that their acting pretty much sucked). If they do a reunion in the next few years, I hope they bring back the original cast and not insert new actors as the family members - that's just wrong!

May 15 2007 at 7:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply