September 2, 2014

ABC renews October Road, Notes from the Underbelly

by Anna Johns, posted May 13th 2007 11:13AM
notes from the underbellyThe Upfronts are this week, but already information is starting to leak about which shows are being renewed by which networks. The latest news is that ABC has renewed two newcomers: October Road and Notes from the Underbelly.

I haven't seen October Road, but Paul says it's an awful lot like Ed. I have, however, seen Notes from the Underbelly and I am quite shocked that it's getting a second season. You see, I come to this from a unique perspective because I am a pregnant woman and I find the entire show to be completely ridiculous. I watched the first four episodes because I wanted to like it and to have my own special pregnant-lady show to watch (A Baby Story is just waaaay too much labor). But I can't stand it. The characters are stereotypes to the extreme and their situations are always taken to the most illogical conclusion. I can't identify with any of them. But, as Liz says, maybe it's a show only a mommy can love.

heather

NFU is surprisingly charming, witty and definitely funny. I enjoyed the show thoroughly. I'm very glad it has been picked up for a second season too. Especially due to the ridiculous stereotypes. I'm pretty sure the irony used in the show has been missed many times over by the idiotic sheep that have left their negative comments. Although "to each their own", I'd suggest getting back to your reality shows and don't forget your lovely "Lost". That is a show that was a joke from the get-go. Any show that one has to use their brain to get the humor from is always going to get an A+ from me, and the plus comes from it confusing the layman.

June 24 2007 at 4:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Megan

Why is everyone ragging on this show? Its a feel good sitcom thats FUN to watch. Um Yeah its all about sterotypes thats whats makes it so funny. All of you that just want to see is serious dramas need to seriously lighten up.

June 24 2007 at 11:15 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kathy

I miss Notes...... I just googled to make sure it was not canceled. I was not aware it was a mid season replacement. So yeah. I will keep it set to record on my dvr.

June 19 2007 at 10:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Amy

I actually like Notes From the Underbelly. I am in my third trimester (33 weeks to be exact) and find watching the show refreshing from all the so called reality television that is out there these days polluting the airwaves.

I think it is funny and it's something me and my husband enjoy watching together. Why can't we laugh at something like pregnancy? We spend 9 months carrying a child so why can't we look at it in a funny way? Some of us can actually relate to some of the things on the show, even if it is "ridiculously" exaggerated....isn't that what comedy is.....exaggeration?

I'm glad it's here to stay.

June 06 2007 at 10:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kristina

I couldn't be more thrilled that "Notes" is being renewed for another season--it is the funniest, snappiest show since "Gilmore Girls" debuted seven years ago. I have experienced two pregnancies myself, plus have multiple friends who are parents and can completely appreciate what both couples are going through--the "know-it-all", over the top couple who put themselves throught WAY more trouble than any baby can put them through, plus the couple who is scared to death but thrilled at the same time to be bringing a new life into the world while maintaining their identities outside of parenthood. To those that complain that the actors are over the top, THAT IS THE POINT OF THE SHOW--there are ALWAYS going to be parents out there that are so far into being parents they forget everthing else, friends who abhor children, and couples who maintain a good balance of each. If we can't appreciate the idea of making fun of the wacko version of parenting, then what's left?

June 05 2007 at 9:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Liesl

Maybe the woman who is pregnant right now just can't appreciate the humor in Underbelly at this time. I have a 7 month old little one, and I find it hysterically funny. Maybe a bit over-the-top at times, but really laugh-out-loud funny most of the time...especially the episode where they are trying to figure out the baby sling thing...I guess I could just relate.

As for October Road, I for one am THRILLED that they are back for a second season. I watched every week on ABC.com and was really hooked by the time they had their finale after only so few episodes. Quite honestly, it is up there with one of my favorites. I thought it was reallly touching and intriguing...and yes I agree that the music helps make it, that and the air guitar. I LOVED this show...keep it coming!

May 29 2007 at 12:21 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
LCH62

I'm sorry but Underbelly is a joke. The fact that women don't like it and men do is even more disconcerting.

October Road started out slow but ended spectacular. Those who didn't stick with it are missing out. Remember the first episodes of "Friends" . . . slow writing, but got better with each episode. This is a great ensemble; anyone can identify with one of the characters. If you have never played air guitar, again, you're missing out. Forty-somethings like me also like the music. The season ended with Southside Johnny & the Asbury Dukes. Bring on the second season!!

p.s. Grey's is just getting too dark. What's with Shondra and Betsy bashing poor Meredith.

May 16 2007 at 3:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
FeatureCreep

Another vote for Notes From the Underbelly here. I - 40-year-old father of 2 - like it and my wife doesn't care for it. I'm not sure why I like it, other than the fact that the lead woman is adorable. The guy who plays her husband is a douche though. Don't like his character. Don't like the actor.

May 14 2007 at 3:40 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
RedStarRevolution

Had another thought after I posted...

How does a show like October Road get renewed when shows like Drive, Gilmore Girls (to an extent) and Studio 60 (yes, I loved it) get chopped?

A travesty I say...a travesty...

May 13 2007 at 11:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
RedStarRevolution

I'm a twenty three year old guy with no kids, and I actually liked Notes From the Underbelly...although I'm still not sure why.

October Road, ugh. I got through an episode and a half. It's not even a poor man's Ed, it's like a crackhead bum's Ed.

I swear, if ABC didn't have Lost and Grey's it'd be dead to me, lol.

May 13 2007 at 11:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply