July 25, 2014

The Sopranos: Kennedy & Heidi

by Tom Biro, posted May 13th 2007 11:54PM
AJ Soprano Beer(S06E18) It's been a long time since something on the shocking tip happened and at the same time, I wasn't surprised at all. Tonight, something I certainly thought would go down this season did, but certainly not how I'd have thought. I have a feeling that some of the "old" Tony Soprano might have returned, unfortunately for only three more weeks before this show finishes up.

Was this week perfect? By all means not, but taking out a character that has meant something to all the show's fans forever, and showing what looks like an inkling of an ugly finale when it comes to Tony and the New York crew could provide for one of the more fantastic endings, perhaps the one we all deserve after surviving through so many production delays and season holdups.

From day one of this season I knew that Christopher was going to lose his life, but while it could be surmised that Tony's hand would be involved, I have to say that I never would have taken that literally. The preview last week showed a bit of the truck getting in an accident, but who knew this would have been the end of it. When Christopher started spitting up blood, I knew he would die, it was just a matter of how long. When Tony ditched on calling 911, it was so very clear that he wanted to end this right here and now. Later on, when he was talking about being relieved that Christopher was dead because of his being weak, I couldn't help but think that the same thing was exactly what I heard in my head when he was suffocated. Whether Tony knew that Christopher was truly a weak link in the chain of the Soprano crew or not, or that there was a Fed that could have been the guy in the stairwell last week, or that evidence could have been left at JT's shooting, it didn't matter. What did matter is that the dominoes have most certainly begun to tip over.

It was pretty awesome that we got to see Big Pussy in the kitchen recently, and Tony mentioned him again tonight. That was the last character that truly meant something to a lot of fans of the show that had his life cut short (of course others have died, but not necessarily someone *that* integral to the stories), and now that Christopher's storyline has ended, presumably there'll be no more Cleaver, especially after the mug was tossed into the trees in Tony's backyard. On top of that, Tony most certainly took advantage of the end of his nephew's life by hitting up his chippy on the side, even going as far as taking peyote with her. Something that longtime Weblogs, Inc.-family friend and Cinematical founder Karina Longworth mentioned tonight got me thinking after the show closed, though - that Tony could think that the "universe is rewarding him for killing friends." He clearly knows what he's done, as he mentioned a lot of it to Melfi - in his dream and for real - and the peyote has him thinking... clearly or something, so is that the second domino falling in our big chain reaction finale?

Something else that will probably get as much airtime here as it did on the show was the death of Paulie's "mom." Paulie, not surprisingly, acted all peeved at the lack of support his extended "family" gave him in this time, but it's a pretty solid bet to say that Paulie just doesn't get it. It's always about him, and it's always "personal" when someone does something that potentially impugns him. Just unfortunately that it worked out that way for him, considering his longtime service on this show, but perhaps his demise won't be a life-or-death one and much more about showing how disjointed he ends up from Tony and the crew. If anything, I think that if Tony were to find out exactly why and how Christopher fell off the wagon, that could cause a bit of a problem between the two old-school guys.

As for A.J., he's clearly feuding with himself these days. He seems to like having been causing problems with his friends when it comes to settling gambling debts, but the attitudes - and racist comments - that the guys made around him definitely got him stirring. Unfortunately, he's just enough of a wimp to push the bicyclist back into the shoving in the street, leaving him with nothing but a futile "why can't we all just get along" with his shrink.

As far as ratings go, I'm going to give this episode a perfect 7 for the week. Sure, it's high, but I think the drama of Christopher's death and Tony's "coming out" party with the peyote definitely have me thinking that we will have a solid ending to a solid show. I definitely think we'll have some blood on the hands of Tony Soprano. That said, I think the previews for next week where Carm is talking about the "Soprano curse" could be talking more about whatever situation that their son has gotten themselves into than anything about Tony himself.

What I want to know, if I have any question for all you readers this week, it's whether we think that there is any possibility that Tony could give up all of what he has in order to keep Carm with him, and take a package with the Feds as an ending or not. Beyond that, I'm just going to predict that we've only begun to see the "action" that will affect all of the long-timers on this show in the next three weeks.

(ed: when I say "perfect," I mean was it the best episode ever? No. Was it great in the scheme of this season and overall shows on television? Definitely.)

(The Sopranos - S06E18) How do you rate this episode?
1 - Worst17 (2.5%)
29 (1.3%)
321 (3.1%)
459 (8.7%)
5128 (19.0%)
6216 (32.0%)
7 - Best225 (33.3%)

cjordan

first time poster long time reader love all of your input...fan of show since season 1...nothing compares...with that said i have been feeding my withdrawl symptoms of having to skip a week by watching previous episodes... i highly recommend that anyone who has access to the "beginning" to rewatch...only then will the comparisons come to lgiht...and lots of "poor you" comments all around...the one episode that did strike me was the one where tony is so hillariously brought out of his coma courtesy of paulies non stop mouth...but just prior to him waking up he meets with steven buscemi at the "house" and he tells tony his family is waiting and he is "going home" ...that is the title of the last episode..."going home"...is this a telltale sign of "the end" ?

May 25 2007 at 11:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
finisterre

Joe #38 - I wanted to read all your thoughts, but it was too much like hard work with it being just a mass of words and no paragraph breaks.

May 20 2007 at 10:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Leah

I'm concurring with Becky that Joe's comments are great. I'd read another great blog entry at althouse.blogspot.com that made some fantastic points. She also believes Tony to be dead, but I wasn't convinced from reading her take. BUT, Joe made a lot of points that are making me rethink my stance. For a link to Althouse, and my thoughts, as well, see http://story52.blogspot.com.
Oy, what'll we do when the show's over?

Leah

May 19 2007 at 7:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Becky

@Joe, #38--Your comments are insightful. I never would have thought of any of that. It reminds me of "The Sixth Sense" when you watch it the first time and have no idea about Bruce Willis' character. If I could watch "Heidi and Kennedy" again, I would.

May 18 2007 at 11:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chris

I loved it, absolutely. What else would Tony do after so much death, but go solo to Vegas. Sublime. And then he fulfills Chris' movie prophesy, by banging one of Chris' goombas. Tony had a great time - (ENVY!!), but I wonder how much he won at the table (100k?).

One thing that is consistent with the Sopranos is everything costs - every action has an opposite reaction (Tony goes to Vegas, takes his finger off pulse, so asbestos is dumped in the wetlands)- One's happiness costs someone else their happiness.

Chris+Adriana re-unite

May 18 2007 at 5:12 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bmellin

Wow. Where to begin? I honestly enjoyed the creative interpretation about the most recent episode, but this is a bit fanciful. BTW, when one takes peyote orally, the vomiting is wholly expected--this typically presages the tripping. Might explain why some folks smoke the buttons or, horror of horrors, place the buttons where the sun doesn't shine (i.e., this is the part of the body where Vito might have placed peyote).

May 17 2007 at 1:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joe

Heidi and Kennedy

Tony is descending into heaven/hell or in a Coma

After the car accident, Chris was dead, but did Tony REALLY walk away from the accident with nothing but a few bruises on the face? After the vehicle flips 7 maybe 8 times maybe 1500 feet from the road, Tony really isn’t in critical condition? many people question Tony’s motive for killing Chris. Tony suspects something of Chris (drug use) as he stares at him in the car, blasting Pink Floyd’s comfortably numb “I cannot put my finger on it now./The child is grown, the dream is gone./I have become comfortably numb.” (The same song Tony is singing as he walks down the steps of his house in ‘Chasing it’. Chris admits he can’t pass a drug test as Tony gets up and sees his opportunity to dispose of Chris, the man who was apparently a tremendous drag on Tony’s emotions ... on his thoughts about the future, a weak, fucking sniveling, lying drug addict, the “biggest blunder” of Tony’s career. Tony goes so far to say that every morning Tony would wake up thinking, "Is today the day one of my best friends is gonna dime me to the FBI?" Tony’s grown colder than ever and reveals the paranoid, selfish monster he has become by making sure Christopher dies. Tony has plenty of time to call Carmella after the accident but doesn’t. By the time they reached the wreck, and Tony is in the hospital it must have been well over an hour he doesn’t inform Carm. Then the hospital calls the house for Tony (symbolic?). Later on at the wake Tony won’t go up to pray over his nephew, and twice says he’ll go up later, which, to our knowledge, he never does. At the wake Tony says to Carm. "I'll go up later, save my seat for someone else". I don’t think he’s talking about the wake. At little Anthony’s psychiatrist session the doctor asks how he’s handling it, not specifically mentioning what or whom. Just before Tony’s trip or journey to what we and Tony believe is Vegas, he is watching the family speak about how sad death is, from up above on his balcony, again I believe very symbolic. Tony makes a call to his Vegas connect asking for a suite, for him, coming solo, which Alan responds: “We’ll see what we can do about that.” When ever Tony goes away, there is packing and preparation for it before hand, which he’s packing or Carmella does some for him, or some good bye’s this isn’t done. Tony doesn’t say good bye to his Carmella, AJ, medow or anyone for that matter. He doesn’t inform Sil or any of the others he’s going to be away either about his journey to, what I believe is his after life, not Vegas. First it is extremely uncharacteristic of Tony to leave alone, he isn’t one to go by himself, but with that aside, does anybody notice what he is wearing on the plane? He’s wearing a considerable eloquent suit. Tony doesn’t travel dressed like that, he normally looks like a bum, with Hawaiian shirt and wife beaters on. I can’t come up with a good reason why he would leave the area at this time. He isn’t grieving over Chris and just lost the money Chris would be bringing in. What we are to believe is that he is upset with everyone because they are grieving which makes him feel like a hypocrite. Does Tony REALLY skip Chris’s funeral? Nucci’s as well? Doesn’t seem logical to me. Going out to Vegas, which he mention him self he rarely does, is not just dumb, but unsafe. If Phil, the only one happier than Tony that Chris is dead, was aware of Tony being away, especially alone, he would have done something major back home or had Tony killed out in Vegas. Tony simply would be making a mistake if he actually was in Vegas. Tony does occasional gambling but not before this season has he made big bets every week. Personally, I don’t believe that he has the pull to be sent out there on a private jet, shrimp cocktail, red wine etc. Symbolically there was no one else shown on the plane, not pilot, no waitress, not stewardess. Tony then looks out at the world from above. Tony then eats dinner there completely alone, and doesn’t say a word to anyone in Vegas until he finds Sonya. Once there, Tony indulges in all of Chris’s pleasures of drugs, and even one of his women. When Tony goes to see Sonya, to inform of Chris’s death, she asks how long he’ll be staying, which Tony replies with he isn’t sure we’ll see how it plays out (something along those lines. This response is eerily similar to that of when he is in the coma at the beginning of the season and is asked the same question. Also during the Cosa Messa trip Tony is near hell with all the brush fires. While taking the Peyote, he is surrounded by candles (fire). After taking peyote with the beautiful stripper, Sonya, he suddenly is vomiting (much like he would be in a com

May 17 2007 at 12:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Will

When Tony yells "I get it, I get it!" it seems to me that he thinks that Christopher was unlucky for him & now that he's out of the picture Tony's luck has changed. He "realizes" this at the roulette table.

May 17 2007 at 4:04 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jlb33

Super great call, Freddy! It also seemed to me that AJ can hack the business side of it, but when it comes to the violent lifestyle, he can't.

Good point with the baby seat. It was about trust,he just can't trust Christopher, and this was an easy way to ease all the tension.

I just watched the episode last night where Chrissy "falls off the wagon" and comes in shooting up the bada bing. It was my tribute to Christopher.

May 16 2007 at 1:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David D

In all the comments I've read on this episode, all over message boards, I haven't seen anyone mention what I thought of was the final straw leading up to Tony's killing Christopher -- seeing the baby seat demolished. With every other reason to silence Chris, Tony realized that he could not trust his coked-up, off-the-wagon nephew to drive with his daughter in the car. And that sealed the deal.

May 16 2007 at 8:27 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply