October 25, 2014

Alley and Scientologists help out in Kansas

by Adam Finley, posted May 14th 2007 2:23PM

kirstie alleyYou know, Andrew, the blogosphere tends to only focus on the negative and the sensationalistic, so I thought I'd point out a celebrity doing something nice for once: Kirstie Alley --who will next be seen in the original Lifetime movie Write & Wrong playing a screenwriter who enlists her nephew to pretend he wrote her scripts when she finds out the industry considers her too old-- has been in her hometown of Wichita, Kansas providing food, clothing and pet supplies to those affected by the tornadoes and storms that hit the area recently.

The AP article points out that Alley enlisted some of her fellow Scientologists to help out, though I don't see that as significant. There could be a band of yodeling leprechaun-worshiping welders serving up waffles and pants for the people there and I wouldn't care at all as long as they're helping out. As devastating as these events can be, it does tend to bring out the best in people, and there ain't nothing wrong with that.

Bash

I second what John said.

Nobody gives a damn about the Red Cross' work everyday. They aren't patting themselves on the back, they come forth when they need money to keep working.

Let them help hell maybe even let them spread their silly silly idiotic words while doing it but remind them of shutting the hell up about it. You don't pat yourself on the back for doing something good. Man.

May 15 2007 at 6:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
John

"There could be a band of yodeling leprechaun-worshiping welders serving up waffles and pants for the people there and I wouldn't care at all as long as they're helping out."

And what if were NAMBLA, or the American Nazi Party, or those Westboro Baptist Church folks, and they weren't just helping out, they were prosthelyzing and trying to convert people to their beliefs?

I agree, I'm all for everyone to help out as much as possible, but, some groups can't do it without trying to convert people.

May 15 2007 at 5:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Phish

I believe everyone has the right to their beliefs, whatever they may be. We must all keep an open mind and respect each other. It would be extremely obnoxious for one to think their own religion is better than anyone else's, we dont live in the dark ages anymore.

that being said, i do believe that these scientologists are extremely defensive. they feel very insecure and are easily threatened. thats why they harass journalists and push them to limits (ie. the bbc incident).

but this tactic will backfire, as everyone knows you cant fight the media.

i believe that religions that can withstand the test of time do not need such aggressive intervention, ppl will come to them in search for answers, they dont need to be so pushy.

May 14 2007 at 11:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Myron

Really? I think that would be newsworthy.

May 14 2007 at 4:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sean P. Aune

Banjo,

I suggest you take a look at those links Tom posted, especially xenu.net. Scientologists do NOTHING that does not benefit them. They have bankrupted people, brainwashed others to the point of suicide, and in worst case scenarios, allowed people to die under their "care".

This organization is not here to help you, or anyone else, unless it benefits them in some way. Trust me, they are passing our their propaganda and recruiting, all under the guise of "helping" their fellow man.

May 14 2007 at 3:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gwin

Everyone knows that the Scientologists show up at disaster sites to try to convert people. They did it in NYC after September 11, and they did it in New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina. Their proseltyzing completely sullies any actual good they might be doing for these people, since they are helping with pernicious ulterior motives.

May 14 2007 at 3:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tom

I'm not Mark Bunker; just thought he put it more aptly than I could at the moment.

Also, I want people to understand Scientology's intentions in their involvement in the relief efforts. I am not attacking Kristi Alley for doing good work. I want people to know that there is an agenda behind the work that they should be aware of.

It's people like you who try to aside a topic with name calling and slander instead of actually addressing issues.

I hope you don't take it personally, but attacking someone for proposing a fraud instead of counterpointing it just adds to the validities of that fraud.

I'll leave you (Banjo) with a quote "Arguing on the internet is like running in the special Olympics. Even if you win, you're still retarded."

May 14 2007 at 3:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Banjo

It seems that the Scientologists are damned for helping and damned if they don't help. Mark Bunker makes it seem like it's bad for them to let the press know they were helping. So what? Hell, let 'em proselytize if it means getting more people to help with the disaster relief efforts.

It's people like Mark Bunker that make this world a crappier place. It's easier to point a finger or attribute negative qualities than to actually help.

When is the last time you rolled up your sleeves and distributed food and clothing to those in need? Quit grinding your axe and doing your own self-promotion with your weblinks (a little hypocrisy, eh?) and do some real work.

May 14 2007 at 3:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tom

the reason why they included it is because Scientologists are known for self-proclamations of their good works. How many other ways can they really put a positive spin on themselves?

"While many churches and other social groups also aid in disasters, how many of them issue press releases about the fine work they do? Hubbard issued orders that this type of activity should be done to Safe-point Scientology, that is to make it appear that Scientology is a good force in the community. Getting good press is part of getting new members.

While I believe the volunteers on the scene mean nothing but good and believe they are helping people, the organization sees the activity as another recruiting tool."

-Mark Bunker