August 28, 2014

Family Guy: It Takes A Village Idiot, And I Married One

by Brett Love, posted May 14th 2007 8:00AM
Lois Griffin and Mayor West, Family Guy

(S05E17)
As I got into this episode, two things occurred to me. First, since next week is the season finale, when did they decide to cut this season to 18 episodes? More importantly for our purposes here though, this episode felt very familiar. It took a minute, but when Lois and Mayor West got to the debate, I remembered what it was. The main story was very similar to the season two episode, "Running Mates."

This time Lois is running for Mayor instead of the School Board, and having a debate against Mayor West instead of Peter, but they are cut from the same cloth. But hey, this is Family Guy, so that isn't necessarily a bad thing. The main plots often only serve as a framework to hang the jokes off of anyway. And if the jokes are good enough, rehashed ideas can work out just fine.

Looking at it from that perspective, I thought it was a pretty solid episode. Normally I save all the cutaway bits for the end of the post, but let's go to those right up front. There were four in particular that I thought stood out in this week's group. The Price is Right vacation was very good. Aside from being a funny gag, it was also very timely given all the promotion for Bob Barker's pending exit. Jason Voorhees being interviewed at the lake was solid, but really paid off when he turned up again as the owner of the clothing store, Britches & Hose. I do realize that my fascination with all things Friday the 13th could make me biased on that one though.

Stewie's Amadeus turn was very funny, and also a nice bit of animation. But it wasn't as nice as my favorite part of the episode, the Legion of Doom. Not only was it a cool reference, it was also a perfect marriage of the Family Guy and Superfriends styles. They went above and beyond getting almost all of the characters into the shot too. Unless I missed something, I think they had Giganta, Black Manta, Solomon Grundy, Bizarro, The Scarecrow, Lex Luthor, Captain Cold, Sinestro, Cheetah, Brainiac, Gorilla Grodd, and Toyman. Very well done.

That's a good place to get back to the main story. Much like the debate, Lois having to dumb down her communications with the public felt like it had been done before. But I did get a good laugh as she stretched her crazed reasoning out further and further. Hitler and the Legion of Doom are plotting to kill Jesus while Darth Vader is buying yellow cake uranium from unwed teenage mothers. Crazy.

And now that I have completely thrown the order of things under the bus, I'll also mention that the opening of the episode was very good. Quagmire is such a good character that he's funny even when he isn't on the screen. You just need people to talk about him and it's good for a laugh. As was the case with Lois warning the children not to touch anything in his cabin until she has disinfected it, and Peter activating the knock-out couch. I'm not entirely sure what to make of Quagmire performing Kabuki when they walk in on him, but the image was so bizarre that you couldn't help but laugh. Also, I know it was the cheapest of cheap jokes, but Peter's gay cowboy song was very funny.

The rest of the episode was just kind of there, chugging along. The Quahog Oil Refinery, Jimmy Smitts endorsing Mayor West, Lois corrupted by the power of her new gig, the evil monkey as a Jehovah's witness, Stewie the pimp, it was all fine. All of those bits and pieces moved us along through some very funny scenes. The only two that struck me as falling flat were Don Most and Herbert. The Don Most / Brigadoon bit started in a funny place, but I thought it went on a little long. And I'm still scratching my head as to why Herbert, here asking about registered sex offenders, needs to be shoehorned in every episode. It boggles me.

5 out of 7Overall, I'd call this one pretty solid. For me, it was hampered by a too familiar main story, but it did manage to shore that up with some great moments. Hopefully it will serve as the springboard for the finale to end the season on a high note. I'm giving it a 5, out of 7.

Karen

The cowboy butt sex song was what made this epesode for me. I'm still singing it. Anyone know where to download it from?

July 12 2007 at 12:06 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JY

Personally I could really do without Seth putting his political views into almost EVERY episode. Has anyone found the cowboy buttsex song on YouTube and anywhere else yet?

June 04 2007 at 12:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Matt

I always get a kick out of people who expect a lot from shows like Family Guy. FG is a show that's full of random, dumb, and cheap jokes and sight gags. It's designed to take your mind off all the crap going on in the world today. No more, no less. Which is why I still love (and can't get enough of) this show!

So it borrowed the plot from an earlier episode. So? Let's be realistic. If shows were required to use completely unique story lines, they'd only last a season or two. Granted, this wasn't one of the best episodes, but it was still pretty funny.

IMO the gay bee bit was pretty lame (sorry), but the Don Most thing was great. Yah, it went a little long, but it would've looked/sounded weird if they sped it up. Peter's gay cowboy song was hilarious. Cheap, yes, but I still laughed my butt off. I normally don't find Quagmire funny (he loves women and sex, I get it HA HA), but his "ghost story" was great. I'd give a 7 out of 10.

May 19 2007 at 1:38 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
herbert4lfe

herbert all day he should have his own show all that mayor bee stuff is bull so dont talk about him throw the H's up

May 18 2007 at 12:54 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
GhaleonQ

"and also a nice bit of animation."

Stop it. Now.

May 15 2007 at 4:55 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
DJGEN

Those of you who are commenting on how aweful the episode was have no faith in what you enjoy!

May 14 2007 at 6:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Robert

I agree, this episode was overall funny. However, the bee was the funniest. There were not enough "flashbacks" and the bee could have been a running joke to the end.

Price is Right was the funniest of all besides the look on Quagmire's face/crouching pose when he was interrupted.

However, the Herbert question was a bit off. You only want to assume that he is what he is and why would he want to "out" hisself at a school event. Would have been more funny if Chris had of gone to his door while campaigning and a joke could have come from that. (Not to make light of the subject) To ask about a sex offender kind of makes him a true sex offender, not someone who is on the verge - so it pulls the comedy out of it.

May 14 2007 at 6:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
malren

For the first time, I was bored watching FG.

Bored.

I was one of the show's big fans early on, and last year when they came back I yelled at people who said it wasn't funny anymore.

Now? Not so funny. Last night was recycle city and when it wasn't recycled it was nonsense. It's time to kill FG. Seth obviously isn't trying anymore.

May 14 2007 at 12:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
beanspants1

they should have less Herbert, and more of the therapist guy, or the bee his voice played in this episode. i love that character, and i love imitating him in real life - with his slow cadence internal monologue actually spoken out loud. it's pretty fun to emulate.

May 14 2007 at 11:19 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Hugeliver

Is it just me or do they just seem to have 5 minutes of story wrapped around 15 minutes of flashbacks and sight gags??

The flavor is running out on this show...

May 14 2007 at 8:49 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply