November 23, 2014

History Channel does Star Wars

by Adam Finley, posted May 14th 2007 6:20PM

star warsBig thanks to my pal Wild Bill for smacking me upside the ol' noggin' about this documentary.

Star Wars was the first movie I remember seeing in the theater, even though I was only seven months old when it was released (I saw it in 1980 when it was re-released to coincide with the release of The Empire Strikes Back).

I'm sure Star Wars fans have know about the History Channel's upcoming Star Wars: The Legacy Revealed for some time now, but if not, here's your heads up: the special airs May 28 at 9:00 p.m., then repeats at one in the morning.

What the hell does Star Wars have to do with history. you ask? Well, that's what this documentary is all about. It will delve into some of the subtle and not-so-subtle mythological and historical parallels that run throughout the original trilogy, including Napoleon, Hitler, King Arthur and Greek legends.

Eric Elliott

Thanks for the onfo onthe time and date of the Star Wars special. me and my family are really looking forward to it.

May 20 2007 at 12:29 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
C C

They were showing The Road Warrior? I guess they were running it as a companion to their "end times prohpecies" docs. Well, I guess that's better than another "Modern Marvels" marathon.

May 14 2007 at 10:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bart Smith

Yeah, I'm wondering if the History Channel knows something that they're not telling us.

May 14 2007 at 10:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Franklin

@Bart:

That sounds ominous... :-o

May 14 2007 at 10:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bart Smith

I was flipping through channels one night, and the History Channel was showing THE ROAD WARRIOR—not a documentary about about the movie, but the actual movie itself.

May 14 2007 at 8:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
lorilei13

Very cool.

May 14 2007 at 7:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
C C

"Star Wars: The Legacy Revealed" sounds good. People need to know the literary and historical sources that influenced "Star Wars", particularly the Arthurian legends. The History Channel has also shown wonderful programs in the past couple of years on the history of comic books, the creation and evolution of Superman, and the technology of "Star Trek".

May 14 2007 at 7:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply