April 18, 2014

CSI: Miami - Born to Kill (season finale)

by Jonathan Toomey, posted May 15th 2007 1:01AM

Emily Procter and Johnny Whitworth

(S05E24) This was a bit of a departure in terms of what we've come to expect from a season finale in the world of CSI, be it Vegas, New York, or Miami. I'm not complaining though. This episode felt much more like a wrap up of the fifth season of CSI: Miami and rather than leave us hanging with a ton of questions (there were a few), it left me feeling far more satisfied than I expected. Especially since we can look forward to plenty of new developments in the fall. I actually felt much better that one spoiler which had been floating around, never came to fruition. It appears that the whole mess with Horatio being in a plane crash may have just been an exaggeration of the van crash that did occur in the episode. For once, I was glad we didn't get a grand, nail-biting finale.

As I said, we were left with a few tiny questions. The potential romance between Calleigh and Delko is currently on hold since her on again, off again flirtations with Jake Berkeley finally went somewhere when he kissed her... and she kissed back. Delko saw it all and looked none too pleased. I've never been a big fan of Jake. Besides the fact that he's way too cocky for a guy that has one hell of a messed up lip, when he's around we get less Tripp. And let's be honest. Frank is hilarious.

Elsewhere, Wolfe was back in the lab. Stetler is keeping a close watch over him and if Wolfe ever expects to get his job back, he's going to have to go through every case he ever had a hand in. All the way back to his patrol days before Horatio recruited him following Speedle's death. It's a tedious and slow story to put Wolfe into. I hope it doesn't keep up once the show returns, but it would be nice to see Stetler have a more frequent role in the next season.

Other things on my mind...

• I liked the case. It was interesting, all that stuff about the extra "Y" chromosome and how it's been referred to as the criminal gene. Having the sister turn out to be just as nuts was a little lame though.
  • Now that the season is over, I'm going to ask the question I've already asked about a million times. Why was there no resolution to the "Wolfe makes a documentary" story?
  • Oliver from The OC was in this episode! Does Taylor Handley ever play anyone who isn't a sleaze?
  • At the end of a long day, does Horatio always climb up to the top of the building and chill out on the heli-pad?
  • And what about Supervisor Scot O'Shay? Horatio never nailed him!

rating 4So that's it. Season five of CSI: Miami started with a bang when Horatio and Delko made a trip down to Rio to avenge Marisol's murder and it ended on a quiet note. Makes me wonder what's new and in store for the next season. 4 out of 7.

(CSI: Miami - S05E24) How do you rate this episode?
1 - Worst36 (5.7%)
236 (5.7%)
340 (6.3%)
463 (10.0%)
5139 (22.0%)
6130 (20.6%)
7 - Best187 (29.6%)

ashley

I'd rate it a 7 out of 10 because:
1. they lied and made the trailor for it seem horrible when it really wasn't.
2. CSI: NY's finale was the best! it was better than miami, plus that one almost got me off my seat!
3.the season finale could have been much better!

June 27 2007 at 2:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Aya

Ohmygawd. I watched this, then the season finale of CSI and there was no comparison. I think it's the WRITERS not the actor that need a new angle. The first season with Horatio in the lab DOING THINGS besides putting his sunglasses on was great... Lately he just seems like the figure head who yells and drives fast, not at all like the criminalist we saw in Season 1

June 09 2007 at 4:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Carolina

I would rather see a Wolf-Calleigh relationship, because in the last few episodes I really though they were going to have some interesting romance...

June 05 2007 at 11:37 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Addison

Wow! What a finale. It did seem really calm to me... an intesting twist in plot. I agree with others that the ending with Horatio standing on top of a building was completely random... but it grabbed my attention all the same. The previews of the show WERE VERY misleading. I honestly thought by the way it looked that Calleigh was going to be the target of the criminal and I almost believed her life was about to flash before our eyes. I am so happy that wasn't true. I really loved the whole story about the extra "Y" thing. It was so neat. I was really upset at the end though by the kiss Calleigh and Jake shared. I am definately a Calleigh and Eric fan and during the last few shows I was so thrilled to see them flirting and enjoying each other's company. I disagree with anyone who says they aren't right for each other. Sure their feelings were hidden until the very few final episodes of the season...but what's wrong with that. Ithey are secretive people who didn't wan their personal lives to interesect with thier jobs. They are just so perfect for each other and really seem to make each other happy. Isn't that whats important? I really can't wait for the next season to see what comes of this confusing realationship!

June 03 2007 at 4:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bruce

"Something to Beleive In" is performed by Aqualung. It's off their new album.

May 27 2007 at 11:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Adam

anyone know the song at the end of the show?

May 27 2007 at 4:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bruce

Well I actually give some credit to the writers for trying to do something a little different with the season ending. Yes, David C. and his character H. are over the top but we all know that, and that's a built in design of the show. The building that H was standing on is the Bank of America Tower, one of the tallest in Miami. It was designed by I.M. Pei and is world famous. Music videos have been filmed in that same spot on top of the building. It's not a helipad but simply the top of the building. What I took from the episode is that like most people, the team members are filled with their own frustrations and challenges, including getting the killer in the end but not before two more people were dead in Miami. Hence the quick flash of the blonde victim alive as her friend last saw her as H is standing on the top of the most famous building in downtown Miami, pondering his role in protecting the city. The choice of music "Something to Believe In" seems to reflect the team's needs to have something to believe in as they go about their lives and of course our need to believe in law enforcement, specifically in this case, the Great "H", to protect us. Like I stated, over the top as to almost be laughable, but the over the top "Miami way" is why a lot of people watch the show and so I do give some credit to the writers to try to play off that for the final minutes of this season in an artsy way. Different than somebody taking a bullet and falling down as the screen fades to black.

May 26 2007 at 12:32 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jonny Klin

it said "ELIZA", underneath it said something about a CBS production, it did not give any indication of who the artist was or if that was even the songs name...

May 22 2007 at 7:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jonny Klin

What was the final song in the season finale of CSI: Miami? It was played at the end, while going through all the characters and what was going on in their lives?

May 22 2007 at 7:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jonny Klin

What was the final song in the season finale of CSI miami this year? It was played at the end, going through the characters and what was going on in their lives?

May 22 2007 at 7:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply