April 18, 2014

George Lopez blasts ABC for cancelling his show

by Joel Keller, posted May 15th 2007 3:24PM
George LopezEven before this morning's presentation of the 2007-08 ABC fall schedule, George Lopez knew that his show wasn't going to be on it. That's because ABC Entertainment president Steve McPherson, gave him the bad news over the weekend. Apparently, McPherson and ABC thought George Lopez was going to be a money loser if it got picked it up for another season. Lopez isn't buying it, as he told the LA Times today.

He not only told the newspaper that he should have gotten one more season to tie up some loose threads, but that his show outperformed other shows, like Notes from the Underbelly, that got renewed. "TV just became really, really white again," he told the Times.

What especially galled him was that his show was dumped in favor of Cavemen, which is being marketed as a show about different kinds of people trying to fit in in society, themes which Lopez explored on his show. He speculates he got axed because his show is produced by Warner Brothers and not ABC Television Studios

"So a Chicano can't be on TV, but a caveman can?" Lopez told the paper in a diatribe sprinkled with profanities. "And a Chicano with an audience already? You know when you get in this that shows do not last forever, but this was an important show, and to go unceremoniously like this hurts. One hundred seventy people lost their jobs."

curlyhammad

This makes so furious that I think I will pick some cabbage tomorrow morning and then some grapes. I don't think I have been so mad since they took Drunken Wife Beating out of the track and field events at the Mexico City Olympics. Oh well, I will just go drink a case or two of Bud Light, pass out and wake up in a pool of my own bodily fluids.

May 12 2013 at 11:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
curlyhammad

George Lopez, the eternal victim. How is he going to pay for that alimony he has to pay to the ex? Poo Wittle Georgie, the one-trick caballo.

May 12 2013 at 11:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
seanvplayer

Good to hear that this RACIST got served!!!! Take away his podium for his RACIST rants!!!

May 12 2013 at 3:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ay Chico

George lopez has every right, because almost every show has to produce a white folks.... and black folks but no chicanos.... are they forgetting that this land called america was found by our ancestors our native ancestors not by white folks.... and on top of that where a good majority of hit shows that were produced in california a state that was a part of mexico... a big part of mexico... shudnt that part be admired white folks r lucky because like the big walk out for schools a great population of the world would lose so much money because a chicano didnt show for school... and businesses would close down because a chicano didnt show up 2 work 2 work for them because their lazy asses didnt know what 2 do or how to do the work.... if ur asking me george lopez shud get a recognition for making it this far...

February 19 2011 at 4:50 AM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
xicano73

George Lopez has no reason to play the race card. His show has run its course. Also, he should reflect on the virulent homophobia in his stand-up routine. Does he include his "mas puto" remarks to appeal to his simple-minded audience? Or, does he truly feel this way? His comments make it seem that LGBT Chicanas/os do not exist. Plus, he has the gall to invoke Cesar Chavez and Dolores Huerta, two life-long supporters of the queer rights movement. I truly pity him.

June 18 2007 at 4:49 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Paul

George Lopez is a racist bigot and he got canned after his HBO special came out. Its obvious he hates white people and supports a foreign country that has done nothing for him and treats brown people like dirt. Meanwhile he insults the country that made him rich and the people that made his show a success. He shot himself in the foot and he got what he deserved. The fact that he played the race card just goes to show how disgusting he really is.

June 17 2007 at 3:02 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Rick

Cavemen ? how could they throw away a blue ribbon for a yellow?

June 12 2007 at 11:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cindy

Well this just figures. I just discovered the George Lopez show and the same evening I find out it got pulled by ABC. That seems to be my luck with tv shows lately. I love George's standup; that's what lead me to the series. Do I think it is wrong what he says re: whites & Chicanos? If anyone who is complaining about his standup routine bothered to listen, he pokes fun at the Latino community much more than the white community. Does he have some pointed things to say about whites? Yes, but it is my decision to laugh it off because I love to laugh and George makes me laugh fit to keel over out of my chair. Bottom line: I am sorry they cancelled the show, but I hope that doesn't stop George from doing more and hopefully showing back up on tv sometime soon!

June 09 2007 at 3:24 AM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
Kathy

I agree with George Lopez. Since the show was on for 6 years, and the audiences had a chance to know the characters of the show, it would have been nice for ABC to allow a few more episodes for closure. It is true that many sitcoms have not lasted as long as the GLS, but given the 6 years it was on the air, I believe ABC should have at least allow that much. Hoestly, can any show really outperform the ratings when going up against American Idol? Absolutely not!

June 08 2007 at 6:28 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
DJSCORPION

I hate this freaking Chicano bashing by stupid ignorant people that never even watched the show. You know what ABC stands for: Always Bashing Chicanos... but hey that's what people do when they envy certain people... I am not going to get into the name calling, race bashing... but you know what I'm talking about...

June 06 2007 at 4:25 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply