July 22, 2014

MADtv gets a thirteenth season

by Adam Finley, posted May 15th 2007 9:00AM

madtvSomebody is still watching MADtv, because the FOX's late night series of wacky sketches and parodies has been given a thirteenth season.

According to the press release, the series is most popular among teens. That seems to be the best explanation as to why it's still on the air; I don't know anyone my age or older who still watches the series.

Not unlike the magazine it's vaguely based on, MADtv works almost exclusively in parody (I'm thinking of the old Mad I used to read, I haven't picked up a copy in many years), which is one thing that sets it apart from other sketch comedy shows, but also why it probably doesn't attract older viewers more in tune with the sensibilities of satirical shows like South Park and The Daily Show.

Of course, it is possible to enjoy more than one type of show, but it makes perfect sense that younger folks would be drawn to MADtv. It's goofy and a bit over the top, and it's not too difficult for me to think back to a time when that kind of humor was right up my alley.

m furm

i'm 50 and watch madtv regularly. snl is pretty lame and i find that the performers(?) seem to think they are much funnier than they actually are. they seem smug and have that 'all knowing inside joke' type laugh going on all the time. i really find that to be boring. madtv is much fresher. and i usually don't care for the music part of snl, and i can't even pretend to, like the host who announces them.

June 28 2007 at 11:01 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
CC

I'm in my late 20s and I mostly watch SNL rather than MadTV. MadTV is a bit over the top which is why I don't watch it regularly. However, I do flip over a couple of times each Saturday and some of the skits are hilarious. I guess I just can't take too much of it at one time...

I do agree about the actors on MadTV selling the skit/their characters more than on SNL. The people on SNL just read cue cards and that's annoying. Even if you are reading from the cue cards, at least try to hide it - some of the actors (either the SNL cast or the host) never tear their eyes away from the cards.

May 15 2007 at 8:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MIke

Ryan, If you like Amy Poehler, than you'll love the MadTv chick Arden Myrin. She's wayyyyyy hotter than Poehler and funnier too. Also, the only thing that SNL beats MadTv in are the digital shorts.

May 15 2007 at 7:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mike

I've tried to watch MadTV reruns, and I just don't find it funny. As someone already said, it's too over-the-top. I guess that's just not my kind of comedy.

May 15 2007 at 3:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Borat

I tune into MadTV from time to time and I seem to enjoy it more than SNL. It's too over the top but there have been some good parodies over the years (Survivor, Studio 60, Heroes, House, and the recent Scrubs one).

May 15 2007 at 1:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lacey

I'm 21 and I prefer SNL over madTV (though I do watch the re-runs on comedy central sometimes, and it's alright).

However, my parents prefer MadTV to SNL, lol.

May 15 2007 at 12:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Diego M

Cool, i always enjoy wakin up to a freshly recorded episode of mad tv, sometimes i tape SNL when there's a good host or a hot host. Still dissapointed about Scarlett Johanson...

Madtv is very very funny but u know there are always some stale sketches but overall it gives me a lot of LOL moments. good that it's coming back.

and yes i'm 21 so thats' why i enjoy it so much

May 15 2007 at 11:54 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ryan Olsen

I am a teenager, and prefer SNL over MadTV. I think MadTV is just blah, it doesnt have what SNL has. Maybe its because I have a crush on Amy Poehler.

May 15 2007 at 11:19 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dan

One thing that sets MadTV apart from SNL is that the performers actually perform....that is, they really sell the parts they are playing in each skit. As compared with SNL, where the players make no effort not to just stand there and read the que cards. It's like they can't wait for the show to be over so they can get to the after party.

May 15 2007 at 10:03 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply