December 21, 2014

Veronica Mars: I Know What You'll Do Next Summer

by Keith McDuffee, posted May 15th 2007 10:48PM
vincent van lowe for sherrif
(S03E18) I love that although they've done away with the larger mysteries, it's nice that the writers put a little shout out here and there to us longtime fans. Sure they're not mystery related, but at least it's not all boy-girl relationship related.

Speaking of which, I thought I was OK with the whole Pizonica thing until the opening scene of this episode, with the two of them playing, what, armsies? Elbow-sies? It was just ... not right.

I have to admit that, at first, I was annoyed that the writers had to throw in a meaningful message into this episode, but they worked it into the story quite well in the end. We saw a bigger side to Wallace while seeing where the summer will be taking him. I'm sure he'll be coming back a changed man.

Random thought: What in the hell is this whole "CWhat's Hot" crap? For once I was actually praying for a real commercial to appear. Please lord don't let this be a sign of what's to come on this network.

The writers did an excellent job of finding the right match for Mac. Max has just the right amount of things wrong with him. He's not perfect and he'll need some work to stay with Mac long-term, but that's what makes him interesting.

For once I have to say good for Dick ... Casablancas, that is. The big surprise of the episode was the return of Dick's dad, which was that little shout-out I was talking about earlier. Dick stood up brilliantly to his swindling father, and in the end decides it's best not to hold a complete grudge by spending some final moments with his soon-to-be-incarcerated dad.

Another thing brought up in this episode was the mention of Kendall Casabancas's missing body. I've thought all along that she's not dead, and now I wonder if she'll suddenly make a reappearance.

Veronica's going to Langley Quantico for the summer, which paves the way nicely toward the possible retooling of the show mentioned previously. We'll know for sure on Thursday if VM makes the cut and, hopefully, what changes they'll make, if any. And did I mention yet how sick I am of seeing Piz's mopey face over Veronica's shoulder?

rating 5Next week's a big show. We learn the winner of the Sheriff election and could possibly be watching the series ... no, I won't say it. But I'll let you know Thursday morning, so check back then!

Quote of the episode:

Veronica: "A girl, a teenager and a private detective; I'm a triple threat. Barely fits on my business card."

(Veronica Mars - S03E18) How do you rate this episode?
1 - Worst4 (2.6%)
22 (1.3%)
36 (3.8%)
410 (6.4%)
532 (20.5%)
662 (39.7%)
7 - Best40 (25.6%)

Kay

I miss the long the season long mystery but enjoy the show enough to keep watching. I would like a little more character development as I think each character in the series could have a very interesting mystery revealed. I love it when they act like real people.

May 24 2007 at 1:47 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Elisabeth

I will be bummed if VM really is cancelled, although I admit I really liked it better in Season 1 when it was "cleaner." I didn't catch the Kendall's missing body thing, so thanks for pointing that out. Speaking of people coming back, I what about Duncan? And why would they bring Leo back if there's only going to be one more episode? I'm hoping for another season with a Veronica-Logan-Leo love triange.

May 18 2007 at 9:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
carol deary

After finding out my favorite show 'jericho' was cancelled, it just makes my day to hear veronica mars is gone too. time to get rid of cable tv and just watch the shows on dvd. lots of shows have poor ratings but they keep them on for the sex!

May 18 2007 at 6:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Leeny

CW freaking cancelled the best show ever. :

May 18 2007 at 11:57 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
tdf

Good episode. I like the Pizonica thing for the moment - it's good that the nice guy gets the girl occasionally, even though we all know it won't last.

They seemed to be setting up a plausible 'end' for each of the characters this week. Veronica got her internship, Wallace's off to Africa, Logan will whisk Parker off somewhere at the dismay of her parents; and Keith can either be elected or go back to the PI business with another Lamb-like rival (Van Lowe) in the sheriff's chair.

As much as I like this show, I'd prefer that it got cancelled after a decent enough season like this one than a few episodes into the 'revamp' next year.

May 17 2007 at 5:50 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jennifer

*sigh* At this point they might as well cancel it, and I think they will. Who the hell cares about Parker and Logan spending the summer together (and what college freshmen spend their first summer home together unless they live in the same area anyway)? I normally don't have a grudge against Piz, but I couldn't stand the puppy dog eyes he was throwing at Veronica (please, please, detective, notice that I'll give up the internship of my dreams for someone I've dated for a week!), and it served him right to find out she was going out of town for hers.

The African guy thing was actually done pretty well, though.

Still hate Mac and Max. Not that it matters any more anyway.

May 16 2007 at 4:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
schwegler

I do love this show...

May 16 2007 at 3:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Danny

I thought it was a bit weird in the episode where Veronica finally got her P.I. license, she didn't really solve anything.
But I still enjoyed the episode.

Also, I don't understand people who hope a show gets cancelled. If you no longer enjoy it, stop watching it. By why would you want others to no longer be able to watch it?

May 16 2007 at 11:49 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Zachary

Anyone notice the shout out when Veronica redialed the guy's phone to find out who he was talking to? The woman on the other end answered "Silver Pictures" which is either a shout out to producer Joel Silver or his production company or both!

Excellent episode. Vinnie looked really weird all dressed up in a suit. The commercial was complete cheese, but it gets the point across.

I like Pizonicia, almost as much as LoVe before Logan got all mopey and everything. I think Veronica likes that she is in a relationship that isn't full of angst and despair half the time.

The whole sex-eat-nap-repeat with Mac and Max was cute. Did I miss where she broke up with Bronson because I can't remember seeing anything.

May 16 2007 at 10:40 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
purpleslog

Langley? Wrong three-letter agency I think.

May 16 2007 at 8:06 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply