November 23, 2014

24: Nominations for best/worst of day 6

by Meredith O'Brien, posted May 16th 2007 7:06PM

CTUWith the two-hour 24 season finale days away, I thought it'd be a good time to start thinking about the best and worst moments of Jack Bauer's bad day, version 6.0.

I'm looking for viewers and fans to help me come up with nominations for the eight best/worst categories below. Next week, after the finale and after I read through reader comments, I'll post the nominations for each category.

If you've got some favorite moments, characters or lines you'd like to nominate for a category, mention them in the comments section below. Here are the categories:

1. Best villain. Should the "bad" terrorist Abu Fayed (remember him?) get a nomination as an outstanding villain? How about the former Russian general, Gredenko, who collapsed (died?) under the Santa Monica pier?

2. Worst villain. Should we give Chad Lowe's turn as a slimy White House aide who tried to kill President Palmer II a nod here? Or perhaps skanky Mark Bishop who used Lisa Miller in order to get intel for the Russians earned a nomination?

3. Best Jack Bauer move. This could be anything from the Bauer Slide -- a phrase coined by a TV Squad reader -- and the execution of Fayed in the warehouse, to torturing his brother.

4. Worst love triangle. The possibilities are endless here, unfortunately.

5. Best Jack Bauer line. This one's gonna be a toughie given that, for a large part of the middle of the season, Jack barely appeared. I'm looking for readers to suggest some personal favorites. (FYI: "Dammit," does not constitute a "line." It's akin to breathing to Jackie boy.)

6. Most under-used character. I plan on including Bill Buchanan and Chloe O'Brian in this category. Curtis Manning, maybe? Or, how about fan favorite Sandra Palmer?

7. Worst plot turn. Given the lamentations by critics and fans over the past several months, there could be many nominations from which to choose for this category. I suggest the introduction of the evil Bauer brother/father storyline, as well as the fact that Jack's sister-in-law has a thing for him. Sure, it's no Kim-being-chased-by-a-wild-animal, but it's close.

8. Best hero (aside from Jack). This would be too easy if Jack were in the running. But, other than our intrepid terrorist hunter, who deserves to be nominated for the most heroic character of the season?

Wizard

1. Best villain - Cheng
2. Worst villain - Graen Bauer
3. Best Jack Bauer move - Slide of Bauer
4. Worst love triangle - Milo/Nadia/Doyle
5. Best Jack Bauer line - Jack: You're gonna tell me what I want to know or you're gonna start losing your fingers one by one.
6. Most under-used character - Chloe
7. Worst plot turn - The family saga which had to involve all the Bauer men.
8. Best hero (aside from Jack) - Has to be Doyle, he is trying his best to be Jack 2.0, if you look at all that he has done, Jack would have done the same (including taking Josh while distracting Jack, he learns from his mistakes).

Also any Office fans would have found the Jack Bauer reference humourous, to say the least.
Could make a new category for these sort of things.

Dwight: “Once I am officially Regional Manager, my first order of business will be to demote Jim Halpert. So I will need a new #2. My ideal choice...…Jack Bauer. But he is....unavailable......fictional...........and over-qualified.”

May 19 2007 at 10:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jeff

1. Best villain: Maybe Assad, back when he was considered a villain.

2. Worst villain: Papa Bauer. What a waste of James Cromwell.

3. Best Jack Bauer move: The Bite. No competition here.

4. Worst love triangle: It's a tie between Daniels/Miller/Bishop for the creepiness and Milo/Nadia/Doyle for the boredom. Actually, they're both pretty boring. Not to mention completely unconvincing and forced.

5. Best Jack Bauer line:
"What am I thinking now, Parkman?"
"Your last thought."
*BLAM!*

Ok, that was from "Heroes", but it airs at the same time as "24", so that counts too. ...right?

6. Most under-used character: Nadia. Sure she's in almost every second scene, but she's hot enough to be in all of them.

...no? Ok, make it Logan then.

7. Worst plot turn: Graem turning out to be Jack's brother. Turning point of the season - it was going pretty well until that moment and then suddenly everything went downhill fast.

And my own addition:
7a. Best plot turn: The nuke missiles weren't real. What really amplified the effect was the extremely crappy explanation given for it at the end of the previous ep - "I nearly died to stop this launch, but then I didn't want to seem too weak and ordered the attack anyway". Seemed like an awesome twist the writers put in just for shock value, and then a quick, lame explanation they scribbled up in 30 seconds before heading out for coffee. So just after I thought the show had hit a new low and adjusted my expectations accordingly, they come out with a proper solution that actually makes sense and is actually pretty clever.

8. Best hero (aside from Jack): Hmm, how about the father of the boy who could not pronounce "Ackgh-medt"? Wasn't really the most interesting character, but still went from a suburban dad to a cold-blooded (ok, more like lukewarm-blooded) killer in just an hour or two. And then dying, trying to stop the bomb.

May 18 2007 at 6:36 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mike

1. Philip Bauer- i dont care wha everyone else says; i thought he played an evil father well
(Noah Daniels would have won if he didnt turn soft; i couldve sworn he was behind wayne palmer's assassination)
2. Cheng Zhi- why wont you just die???
3. Fayed's execution- the end
4. Daniels, Lisa, and Bishop- creepy beyond belief
5. Mr. President, You owe me!- to Wayne Palmer in order to ge the circuitboard; so BA, how many people get to say that to the most powerful man in the world and be right
6. Chloe- wait on second thought, im glad they undrused her; she was so unneccesary and messed up everything
7. jack finding the nukes so early
8. tom lennox- such a weasel; i loved it

May 18 2007 at 2:15 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jmasie

Best villain
Instead of picking the obvious (Fayed and Gredenkno), I am going with Phillip Bauer. The man killed his own son along with trying to kill his own son. He also kidnapped his grand son and offered to fix the Russian component for the Chinese. Now he’s blackmailing the US of A. WHAT AN BASTARD!!

Worst villain
Even though Chad Lowe conspired to kill the POTUSA, my vote is for Fayed. He nuked LA causing the highest death toll in the series short-lived history.

Best Jack Bauer Move
The handy use of a chain to hang Fayed with a nice little send-off: “Say hello to your brother”.

Worst Love Triangle
All love triangles are the worst.

Best Jack Bauer Line
Jack (to Nadia) “I made the mess, now let me clean it up.”

Most under-used character
Curtis Manning. It’s too bad Jack had to kill him.

Worst Plot Turn
Phillip Bauer killing his own son.

Best Hero (aside from Jack)
Milo Pressman. He saved Jack’s sis-in-law and took a bullet for Nadia.

May 17 2007 at 4:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
raven2017

1. Best villain - Noah Daniels. Easy.

2. Worst villain - Philip Bauer. Remember when James Cromwell played the farmer in "Babe?" Those were the days.

3. Best Jack Bauer move - Puking after shooting Curtis. While the writers seemed to forget about this later, that seemed like a perfect reaction for Jack.

4. Worst love triangle - Seriously, does anyone care about ANY of these love triangles? If I have to choose one, I'm going with Milo-Chloe-Morris, if only because the writers this season made me HATE Chloe. And that just made me mad.

5. Best Jack Bauer line - "Not after this," the dumbest response possible to coming back into the CTU fold after the nuke exploded.

6. Most under-used character. Tony Almeida. I don't give a damn if he was killed last year; you find a way to bring him back, 'cause he's the only character not named Jack Bauer or Wayne Palmer who mattered. Moreover, he was the BEST character.

7. Worst plot turn. Season 6.

What, I can't do that? Okay, fine... Worst plot turn... let's see...

Nope, I'm still going with the entirety of Season 6. It'll be like Season 6 of Buffy the Vampire Slayer; I'm just gonna pretend it didn't exist. Mostly because, seriously, who's buying Agt. Ricky Stratton?

8. Best hero (aside from Jack). I guess I could see why so many are going with Tom Lennox, although it's still disarming seeing Janosz Poha delivering such bad lines. If it turns out that Tony's coming back from the dead, though, the best hero will easily be Tony. Even if he's a villain. 'Cause Tony's the man.

May 17 2007 at 2:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sean

1. Best villain - Noah Daniels

2. Worst villain - Cheng. This is what, day 3 of this bull? Get over it.

3. Best Jack Bauer move - Toss up between the vampire bite in the first 2 hrs. and the slide in hr. 22.

4. Worst love triangle. Noah, his little wench, and Daniel from Stargate SG-1

5. Best Jack Bauer line. INTERLACE YOUR FINGERS!

6. Most under-used character. Honestly, Milo. He had that one awesome episode where killed all the Russians and then he goes back into whiny mode.

7. Worst plot turn. Wayne dying and then not dying and then going crazy and then almost dying again.

8. Best hero (aside from Jack). Either Doyle or Tom Lennox

May 17 2007 at 1:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jastrom

1. Best Villian - Kumar, remember him way back at the beginning of the season, his caring neighbors not wanting him to be the victim of a neighbors lynching took him into their home to disastrous results.

2. Worst Villian - Russian Consulate guy - Did we really need another bad guy running a consulate on american soil?

3. Best Jack movie - two words, Throat Munch!

4. Worst Love Triangle - Ugh, Chloe, Morris, Milo - Nadia, Milo, Doyle.

5. Best Bauer Line - "Say Hi to your Brother!" as he hangs Fayed.

6. Most Under-used Character - Brady the mentally challenged computer expert. C'mon we need him at CTU next season.

7. Worst Plot Turn - Brady the Mentally Challenged Computer Expert. What were the writer's thinking? Was worth it though for the laughable sensitive Jack Bauer as he calms a frightened Brady.

8. Best Hero - Brady the mentally challenged Computer Expert. He helped them nab Gredenko and i'm not sure he even knows.

May 17 2007 at 12:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
C C

These aren't easy to answer, cause the finale has yet to air and things may still happen that change the complexion of the season. But here goes:

1. Best Villain. I have to go with Noah Daniels, even though I suspect he isn't quite as evil as advertised. Powers Boothe was one of the few new cast members who clicked this season.

2. Worst Villain. Gredenko. Pretty wimpy.

3. Best Jack move? When Jack held on the bottom of the truck in pursuit of Fayed. Someone on the net hilariously called Jack "Ninja Garbage Man".

4. Worst love triangle. Take your pick.

5.Best Jack line? "How could I be so stupid?" Except it was better when he said it last season.

6. Under-used character? Chloe. Although she did have one great line this year: "It's Russian Politics. There's nothing we can do."

7. Worst plot turn. Making Wayne president. I know what the writers intentions were, but Wayne makes one crappy commander-in-chief.

8. Best hero other than Jack. Assad. And we didn't get nearly enough of him, either.

May 17 2007 at 12:24 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
purpleslog

I really thought he was going to torture cyber-rainman.

In retrospect, I wish he had.

May 16 2007 at 11:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
doolil

1. Best villain: Evil Veep Noah Daniels... 1.0

2. Worst villain. Ahmed Amar.... aka Kumar. "We're friends? You can't even say my name right. It's not Ahmed. It's Ahmed."

3. Best Jack Bauer move: Jack hanging the crap out of Fayed.

4. Worst love triangle: Milo/Morris/Chloe. Isn't Chloe famous for her "I don't need ______ just shut up and work" attitude? And Morris is possibly one of the most unlikeable characters I've seen on this show.

5. Best Jack Bauer line: In response to Graham's "you're hurting me..."

..."Trust me, I'm not."

6. Most under-used character: CHLOE. She used to be great for a few one liners and random put downs.

7. Worst plot turn: Ending the suitcase nuke fear early in favor of rescuing a shaky and torturey Audrey.

And if I may:

8. "Is that supposed to be a joke?" line: "I could tell by the way you were in bed that something is wrong."

May 16 2007 at 11:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply