July 25, 2014

HBO's John From Cincinnati hits the waves on June 10

by Jonathan Toomey, posted May 16th 2007 9:02AM

Bruce Greenwood in HBO's John From Cincinnati.

I'm going to do my best to try and avoid using the words "gnarly" and "cowabunga," but I can't promise anything. You should be excited though because John From Cincinnati is going to be good. The new "surf noir" drama from David Milch has finally been scheduled and it's set to premiere at 10PM following The Sopranos series finale on Sunday, June 10. So far we here at TV Squad have been pretty high on this show. Can you blame us? Besides the fact that it's coming from the mastermind behind Deadwood, we're talking about a show about surfing and people who levitate. Yes, levitate. Last time I checked, that means "float." Crazy, huh? Add to that a cast that includes Bruce Greenwood, Rebecca De Mornay, Luis Guzman, and Ed O'Neill and it looks like HBO may have its next hit. Sounds like they know it too. It's been given a full 10 episode first season and I doubt very much that airing after The Sopranos series finale is a time-slot that's just given to any ol' show. Make a note though because the show moves to its regular time-slot at 9PM the following week. Gnarly, huh?

karl

This is a great show. I already have my friend hooked who swore by the Sopranos. There is definitely more to it than what meets the eye. I've seen the first four episodes twice, and you catch a lot more detail the second time around. Anybody that doesn't like this show initially should give it some time.

July 09 2007 at 3:31 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jory

It's not the best....yet. However it's different. It's new. It puts the spotlight on reality in terms of what's happening in the world today.Try to decipher the characters. Who what and why? But where's the token black guy? anyway Imperial beach rocks. It has a different feel being so close to another country. Thanks HBO!

July 05 2007 at 10:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
scotty

I have a reason to watch tv on Sunday night again. John from Cincinnati is brilliant. Perhaps too simple- John is Jesus in the second coming. The fact that he is from Cincinnati is a bit hoakey- but a decent pun. Look at the signs. Pay close attention to temptation and evil from the Luke Perry character. Stay tuned folks- this baby is going to heat up fast.

July 04 2007 at 12:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Stephanie

No, you do not have to be from Cali but you do have an open mind. This show is awesome...dialogue is incredible. I am here in New Jersey loving John from Cinncinati!!!

July 03 2007 at 10:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
alice

I love this show. It is like no other show ever. The writing is brilliant. Much more to this show than meets the eye. Takes awhile for things to fall into place. It is way different than anything ever.

July 01 2007 at 10:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
gracie

Love the show, watched the first episode twice so it made a little more sense, but who cares if everything and everyone in the story don't fall into place within a few episodes? I think the acting is excellent and BTW Shaunie's like a lot of 13 year olds I know. Maybe you've got to be from California to appreciate this show...

July 01 2007 at 6:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Steve Hammons

There might be more to "John from Cincinnati" than viewers are picking up on so far. Some elements of the show seem very significant. The article below references "John from Cincinnati" in the context of current real-life developments: “Developments in science, human consciousness hold promise of new discoveries, better world” at: http://www.americanchronicle.com/articles/viewArticle.asp?articleID=30886

July 01 2007 at 10:51 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mark

I already like this show better than soprano's, and I've only seen the first 3 episodes. This show is going to be great, mark my words.

June 28 2007 at 1:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brian

I must say I was very dissappointed with the first two shows. The acting is awful!! Especially the shawny kid. It's choppy. The characters are bland and stereotypical. How could they cancel Deadwood for this crap? This show blows.

June 21 2007 at 4:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Stel

I watch the first two episodes and the series looks OK. but im pretty sure its going to turn up to be a great series. Look at Carnivale that show took awhile to start up and it's an amazing show that's a must bring back, anything to finish it.

June 18 2007 at 10:23 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply