November 20, 2014

Smallville: Phantom (season finale)

by Kevin Kelly, posted May 17th 2007 10:40PM
Smallville: Phantom
(S06E22) It's finale time! Were you ready for the wham-bam-in-your-face-here's-what's-basically-happened-on Smallville this year? There was a lot going on in those few minutes, holy moley. It's like a capsule-sized dose of Smallville, now with a Kryptonite coating and in a convenient gel form.

The one thing that impressed me most about the opening was ... damn, they should give Martian Manhunter his own show. It'd fit right in with the whole CW love for strange Supernatural goings on. Just picture it now, "Tonight, on a very special Manhunter Chronicles." I'd totally watch that. Before too long they'll have the entire DC slate on their network.

How good was it to see John Schneider back, even if it was just a photo? Ever since he left the show the whole story with Clark and his mom has just gone way downhill. I never bought the whole Martha Kent as a senator thing, and I still don't. Does anyone? Maybe if I saw her arguing a case on the senate floor, or doing something senatorial, but all she seems to do is pop up when Clark needs a pat on the back or some motherly wisdom.

So, just to try to balance out the record since the Titan episode: Lex apparently created both Titan and Ares from material (peptides? peptodes? pepto bismol?) found inside people who had been hosts to "phantoms" from the Phantom Zone. Am I missing something there? Now Lex wants a live phantom to serve as the source for his continuing Ares project ... still sound right? It's been puzzling to follow, but I think I have the gist of it. Although if I see one more shot of Lex opening up that window and gazing at his precious army like he's peeking through an Easy-Bake oven, who knows what I'll do.

Lionel Luthor, emissary of Jor-El? Martian Manhunter working with Lionel? That's about the point my head started to spin. Then when Lex smacked Lana, I kept waiting for her to bust out her karate moves and kick his ass. Instead she says, "That's the last time you'll ever touch me." Then she tries to leave and Lex ... touches her. Come ON Lana, you just gave him a pretty good threat. Now it's time to deliver. Hiiii-yah! Just pull a Benny Hill on that bald head of his and be done with it. You've let me down, girl. I thought you'd grown tough enough to go toe to toe with your jerk of a husband. Turns out I was wrong, very wrong.

Remember one of those "Someone's gonna die on Smallville?" rumors? Will, they did a really good job of keeping you guessing who it was gonna be. Lois = stabbed with a wicked huge knife (okay, we know it's not her), Lana = apparently blown up, Chloe = apparently the sacrificial lamb, Lionel = trapped under some rubble and possibly dead ... so who was it? Looks like we'll have a long time to speculate and find out between now and next year.

My take on it? Well, that mail truck mysteriously happened to pass in front of Lionel's view for a moment, giving someone or something plenty of time to get Lana out of there. Chloe? Well, I think we've found out what her mysterious power is: tears that heal things but kill yourself. What a power to have. That'd be like, a one-shot comic book. THE AMAZING CHLOE! Come and see her ... oh, she's dead. Yes, I don't really think she's dead, but I think The CW wants to keep us guessing. Plus like many of you readers out there, I too will be pretty cheesed if they kill off Allison Mack. As annoying as I used to find her, she won me over with her wisecracks, can-do attitude, and then sparkly smile. Damn you, Mack!

So, let's talk about the coolest thing in this episode, and the one that kicked it into 7 territory for me ... Bizarro Clark. Did you notice how his color scheme was the opposite of regular Clark's? He wore a blue jacket and had a red shirt on, how bizarre! Their super fight should have come a lot earlier in the episode, and been more spectacular. Now we'll have to wait until next season to see what happens in round two. Although it was fairly cool seeing Clark get punched out through the side of that dam (Reeves Dam, didja notice?). Ouch! I still don't know what made Clark's face turn into the "Bizarro" looking angular face sported in the comic books, think they'll tell us next season?

So, we have quite awhile until Smallville graces the airwaves with new episodes. What are you hoping to see next year? Plus, are you ready for Smallville to come to an end yet? Does it feel like it's time? Let us know.

Quote of the show:

Clark to Bizarro Clark: "What are you?"
Bizarro-Clark: "I'm you. Just a little more ... bizarre."
(Smallville - S06E22) How do you rate this episode?
1 - Worst8 (1.2%)
27 (1.0%)
315 (2.2%)
425 (3.6%)
566 (9.5%)
6152 (21.9%)
7 - Best422 (60.7%)

Linda

I mostly agree. But if Chloe is really dead I will never watch Smallville again. Just kidding. But seriously.

August 01 2007 at 2:53 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ANDREW

i think the show should go for 8 seasons because its the only good one left on the cw and i do not think lyonel will be gone i think the ones that will be gone will be Martha and Lana because annette o'toole is done wiht the show and i think Lana is not dead but she will tell clark she is leaving to keep Lex in jail even though he'll get out

and as much as i like clark and lana together they do need to show some spark between Lois and Clark if they are gonna end the show. i think chloe will stay because she is too important and i think jimmy will be back as a permanent cast member

if i had it my way i would knock Lyonel and Martha off and keep every body else but ithink that the town of smallville will be history and Metropolis will be entered as the main setting

i didnt get to see the finale but i bet it was great they always are. i just hate to see characters die off. the bizarro thing will be great and who cares what he was wearing it will be awesome to see clark battle bizarro.

its my prediction that the cast members for the 7th season will be Clark, Lois, Chloe, Lex, Jimmy, and Lyonnel. and i think they will show some episodes with Lana, Martha, the justice league, and introduce the green lantern. and for the series finale i think Pete, Lana, Martha, and the justice league should be there.

June 10 2007 at 11:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Raphael Junger

I think Lana is been supported by Oliver and his team in her runaway, probably Impulse or "Flash" as I prefer to refer him, has got Lana out of the car, and now she's gona hide until Lex is out of the scene. That's my humble opnion...

bye!!!

June 06 2007 at 3:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David

Here is my take on it. The writers of the show have about 27 ways they can go wit this, and they are reading boards such as this, talking it over with a cup of coffee, and deciding between now and next season who, if anyone, goes. Look at John Schneider, he found out right before the episode that he would be killed off. Everyone is sitting on go to see if they have a job next year.

As for my thoughts:

Chloe must not go. She definitely is a vital piece to the show. (Plus she is hot)
Lois must not go. She is vital to the Superman universe and must be around. She will get a job with the Daily Planet, per her comments about working to the Enquister.
(Plus, she is hot)
Lana will not go as she will be the melting point between Clark and Lex next season. (Plus she is pretty hot too)
Lex will not go. He will be eventually cleared of wrong doing when Lana shows back up.
Lionell should go. His time has been served. He is a much better bad guy than good guy. He served his purpose by picking up for Jonathan Kent, but n ow they have the Martian Manhunter to pick up for him.

I hope they keep Smallville on for as long as possible. I watch 2 things each week. Smallville and Braves Baseball. Other than that, I'm wasting money on my cable bill.

That is my take.

May 26 2007 at 2:35 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
gen

Sorry about that, it cut off half my post too.. =(

May 24 2007 at 3:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
gen

WOah that was one hell of an episode. the fact that they left me staring at the laptop dumb-founded was probably what they were aiming for. Talk about cliffhangers, its like they left me suspended in mid-air holding onto a tiny piece of string ..

Bizarro,, well to be honest im sick of all the clones and stuff, they did it to Lex in season 4.. Why do it again?! but i do want to find out what happens =]

Yeah i heard the rumours to, but i guess i chose not to believe them.. Lana is probably not dead, she probably faked ehr own death i mean living with the Luthors must take it's toll and i have to admit if she did fake it then that would be AMAZING as far as her standards go.

Chloe

The whole slow-motion tear thing already had me guessing about the meteor "freak" ability.. but an ability to cute then kill in one instant,, its definitely "Wall Of Weird" material.. They better not kill of Chloe.. If anyone they should have killed off Lois, Everytime she comes on screen i ccringe.. sorry to all you Clois fans.. bt i dont see it happening.. lets just say im more of a Clana

May 24 2007 at 3:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
gen

Chloe

May 24 2007 at 3:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mediafreak70

I think nobody dies. We all suspect Lana will come back toward the end and I predict she will. I can say that because if Chloe and Lionel live then Lana has to live via the mail truck. It is just too mysterious to think she died that way. Season seven was set up for someone to die but it doesn't mean that they anyone did. They just want you think that. Yes Season seven needs to be it but I think they should do a couple movies to see him(Clark) mature into Superman and to complete Lex as Superman's Nemesis. There is just not enough time for all that to develop.

May 23 2007 at 10:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brenda

To Patricia,

Touche'--good point!

May 23 2007 at 10:31 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Patricia in Phoenix, AZ, USA

Brenda, If you don't like the postings don't read them.

May 22 2007 at 10:46 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply