December 18, 2014

Veronica Mars is no more

by Keith McDuffee, posted May 17th 2007 12:56PM
veronica marsFresh from The CW's post-upfront press conference this afternoon comes some sad news: Veronica Mars will not live on for a new season.

The CW has kept us on the edge of our seats for months now, not really making much of a peep about the fate of one of my favorite shows. This season definitely had its hits and misses, but I felt another season with the reported possible retooling would bring it back to first-season-like greatness.

Unfortunately for all of us this means we'll be left with a rather lackluster series ender next week, as everyone involved with the show seemed to think it was premature to write an episode that worked as a series ender. Even if the season finale could "work" as a series ender, I'll be surprised if it'll cut it.

Then again, maybe a miracle will happen and the show will move to another network in the future. Ah who am I kidding.

wardboswell

Hope Kristin Bell gets another gig.

May 18 2007 at 7:15 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
amy

CW is dead to me. VM was the only good thing they had and they've canned it.

I also disagree that the quality has dropped, the last few episodes have been gold and the writing was spot on.

May 18 2007 at 4:50 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dorv

I disagree with everyone that said the quality was dropping. I think it floundered a bit when it tried the mini-arcs, but only because those stories weren't as dynamic (and couldn't be) as the past two major mysteries. I think the last two weeks have proved that the show's concept work well as not-that-much-a-serial.

May 18 2007 at 2:24 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
A.S

At the rate season three was going, I had convinced myself that VM being cancelled would not be a bad thing. It lost its shine during the second season. Now that it has actually been cancelled, I feel a little sad and disappointed. Firstly, because one of my shows fizzled out within three seasons, and secondly, it is no longer getting a chance to improve.

May 17 2007 at 11:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ac

Like many other posters have said, Idiocracy is coming true. Hell, even that movie was senttraight to DVD because it wasn't what America likes, they want Howie Mandel and briefcases.

May 17 2007 at 9:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jake

This show, and Smallville are my fav CW shows. Smallville being my favorite show of all time, me being a Superman fanatic and all. I agree totally with the statement of being pissed at the imbasils that watch reality shows like "the pussycat dolls, the real world (mtv), survivor, if you want reality go take a f***ing walk outside! Also, I don't know about anyone else but I know someone that since they changed it to the CW they lost the ability to watch Smallville, and all of the shows they watched on the WB. Maybe this could be a cause for some of the ratings dropping. American Idol, I have many personal disputes with that show...but I catch myself hating to watch it sometimes, I'm a big fan of music but you can tell they sometimes don't go after the REAL talent (as you can tell since Blake is still left on there this season if I hear him dryheave and make those atrocious noises one more time I don't know what I'll do I already can't listen to that Bon Jovi song again. This situation reminds me of the movie Idiocracy which is worth watching for a laugh. I can see in the future people being amazed by a TV show called "Ow My Balls" which is composed of a guy being repeatedly kicked, or hit in the balls by various objects the entire show. Oh wait, people are already watching shows that compare them to fifth graders! Is there any hope for future television? I'm guessing not...

May 17 2007 at 6:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mel

I've never seen a single second of Veronica Mars, but I have a soft spot for any cult show and I've seen how big the online fandom for it is. As someone who went through something very similar with Arrested Development, I must say that I'm a very very sorry to see it go. I'm saddened by this news, and my heart really goes out to you guys.

May 17 2007 at 4:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jake

I heard it wasn't dead until june 1st or something -- they are waiting for an actual script.

May 17 2007 at 3:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ryan

Don't worry matriculated "ow my balls" will probably be a real show in a couple of years. :)

Not to say that network TV is exactly a place for deep thought but shows seem to be striving to become so ridiculously moronic its really making me think about calling it quits with TV... and I love TV.

A show that constantly pops up in the top 10 is about randomly picking a case and hoping you win money. No skill, no thought, just luck... people tune in twice a week to watch something that requires absolutely no thought.

And we wonder why children are becoming dumber. Who needs a degree all I need to do is pick a case.

May 17 2007 at 3:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
matriculated

If you've seen the Mike Judge movie, Idiocracy, this really isn't a surprise. :(

May 17 2007 at 3:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply