April 18, 2014

All-day Heroes marathon on Sci-Fi tomorrow

by Bob Sassone, posted May 18th 2007 9:22PM

HiroSo, you've heard so much about this Heroes show, but you didn't watch the early episodes and you're afraid to jump in because you're afraid you'll be lost? No fear, the Sci-Fi Channel is here to help you.

The network is going to run an all-day marathon of the show starting at 9am tomorrow. The only problem I see is that it seems like they're not running the shows in order, which seems like an odd decision. For example, the first episode at 9am is "Homecoming," followed by "Six Months Ago" and "Fallout." Huh? I think watching the shows out of order like that might be more confusing than jumping into the show sight unseen in episode 20. Not to mention the fact that all of the reveals and cliffhangers will be ruined.

If you're interested in seeing the pilot, it airs tomorrow night at 11pm. The season finale airs Monday at 9 on NBC.

Bash

I wasn't angry :-)

May 20 2007 at 11:01 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kara

Bash,

I understand now, and I had misinterpreted your initial point. That's a very well-reasoned argument, and I apologize for my previous post. It's true that the story misrepresents the episode order in a way that could make people jump to false conclusions and needlessly decide to skip the marathon altogether. Hopefully he will be more careful in the future.

May 20 2007 at 12:09 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bash

Kara I didn't say that this isn't newsworthy.

What I said is that IF he's posting something like this, he could at least TRY to do some investigative journalism and find out what the deal with the episode order is.

Quote:
"Huh? I think watching the shows out of order like that might be more confusing than jumping into the show sight unseen in episode 20"

This is completely misleading. Without looking up an actual episode guide and not having the episode-order memorized, this translates to "The shows are shown out of order" -> mixed.

Now to quote Mike:
"It appears they're running eps 9-21 beginning at 9AM EDT. Then 1-7 (no episodes 8,12 or 20?) starting at 9PM EDT. " Mike additionally tells us he has a DVR just for these cases.

Now what Bob COULD have done is maybe translating all this to "All those VHS users are now forced to set their recorders to Long Play to be able to record all the episodes shown IN SEQUENCE from 9AM on to be able to watch them after the episodes shown later in the day" as well as the info mike found out about possible MISSING episodes.

Bob didn't even take the time to find out that there could be episodes missing from the lineup.

Now I myself have watched Heroes already and don't really want to look all this up myself and find out whether Mike was right or not.

But in my very very humble opinion simply splitting the episodes in two halves and show the highly entertaining first seven episodes in sequence in primetime is a WISE decision. This would be an additional TV-programming related issue and if I am not wrong we just had a rant on this site about TV Executives.

This would've been a great case to simply take ten minutes of journalism-time and look up the FACTS. Without them, this is just a newsbit that's misleading (-> they are showing the episodes out of order so it might be no use to actually tune in - and if that wasn't the message at least I myself thought this after reading the post).

So Bob actually did go "huh? What's this" and instead of doing the extra bit of work he just posted what was on his mind about this.

I myself tend to write articles like this too. What really takes time in journalism is fact-checking and actually doing a little bit of work instead of just writing down what you think about it when you read something and then not checking whether what you think was actually fact or not. Let's just say if I mention Twinkies and you think "They don't go bad for months" and I tell you that's an urban myth. Something like that.

Now I don't say this is such a big deal here.

What I wanted to say is: if this is a blurp and I noticed it, what about the posts where I don't have the inside knowledge about the topic and Bob's simply writing down what he thinks is true or "fact" instead of at least going the extra "mile" (in this case: a couple of tiny steps) just to write something that's actually worth reading.

This posting devalues Bob's credibility if you ask me.

May 19 2007 at 8:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
CP

It's a bit odd to start the marathon in the middle of the season, I suppose, but "Homecoming," "Six Months Ago," and "Fallout" did air in that order.

May 19 2007 at 3:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kara

Bash, I disagree. Yes, everybody is capable of opening other websites, but many people don't check those websites daily and instead come here for TV news. I consider this post to be exactly the sort of news item that tvsquad should report, and I bet I am not the only one who appreciates the heads-up about the Heroes marathon.

I think you're doing just fine, Bob.

May 19 2007 at 12:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lacey

Jessica/Nikki's only saving grace is that she's played by Ali Larter, and she's nice to look at...in my opinion anyway.

May 19 2007 at 12:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bash

This posting is ridiculous. Anyone who's capable of opening http://www.epguides.com and http://www.tvguide.com would've been able to find out what the deal with the episodes was.

Bob if you don't want to spend time on these posts then just don't post anything OR copy whole newsbites from another page. Don't confuse your readers. It makes us wonder how much amount of work you are putting into your other posts.

May 19 2007 at 11:03 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mike

My wife and I realized we should check Heroes out (and should have given up on 24 a month ago.

This is why I have a DVR (besides TCM). It appears they're running eps 9-21 beginning at 9AM EDT. Then 1-7 (no episodes 8,12 or 20?) starting at 9PM EDT.
With rerun season approaching, we can watch something new over the summer and better still not have to wait for the DVD's in late August.

I hope it doesn't start out TOO slow.

May 19 2007 at 2:09 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ggm

They are in order. They are just starting in the middle of the season. I think they wanted the most recent episode to be broadcast at a reasonable time (10 pm). Instead of at 5 am when the last episode of this marathan airs. So if anyone missed the last few they can catch up at a reasonable time. Just my 2 cents.

May 19 2007 at 12:10 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David

Good to know I'm not the only one who doesn't understand her. She's a useless charater, I hope she dies on Monday. The writers early in the season said it would make it clean what her power was by midseason. That never happened.

And I meant to say BSG season 3, not 1.

May 19 2007 at 12:10 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply