September 16, 2014

Heroes: How to Stop an Exploding Man (season finale)

by JJ Hawkins, posted May 21st 2007 8:40PM
Heroes Season Finale

(S01E23) In honor of the Heroes season finale, tonight we're mixing things up a bit.

There's going to be a live chat during the show so you can post your "I hate the reviewer" comments in real-time! The full review will be posted in this space later this evening (the review is below).

22 episodes ago the season began with a bang. Will we be seeing one tonight?

Click here to join the chat.

"Where does it come from, this quest? This need to solve life's mysteries from the simplest of questions can never be answered. Why are we hear? What is the soul? Why do we dream? Perhaps we'd be better off not looking at all. Not delving, not yearning. But that's not human nature. Not the human heart. That is not why we are here. Yet still we struggle to make a difference, to change the world, to dream of hope never knowing for certain who we will meet along the way. Who among the world of strangers will hold our hand, touch our hearts, and share the pain and triumph?" - Mohinder Suresh

The first few sequences in the episode were of the recap variety. First we were treated to a montage of past scenes while Suresh mysteriously and deliberately narrated the above passage. Nice, but I want some action.

Thankfully, we were then quickly thrust into the scene where D.L. puts his fist in the back of Linderman's head. It was no less gruesome but somehow much more satisfying this go around. Linderman definitely had it coming and since he didn't make a reappearance it seems my thoughts of him using his healing powers to resurrect himself were wrong. I'm personally glad he's gone as I'd had enough of his character.

The same goes for HRG's (who we can now call Noah) old business partner. Those are two seedy characters I can live without.

Switching over to Hiro for a second - when his father told him "to take his heart out of it" in last weeks episode several of you speculated that the heart he was referring to was Ando. I'm glad that Hiro opted to leave his heart in it and went after Ando's foolish ass despite his father's objections.

Why powerless Ando thought he'd be able to do what Hiro couldn't do with the ability to freeze time is beyond me, but I found it to be a brave nonetheless. Hiro standing up to his father and insisting on saving his friend "while he had the power to stop it" was an equally brave act - especially because Hiro's dad is a tad on the intimidating side.

I was surprised to see this was the first time Peter used his mind reading to listen to Nathan's thoughts. To take that one step further, I wonder how he never heard his mother thinking about the bomb since we learned she's known about it for quite some time during her conversation with Mr. Deveaux. If I knew of an imminent explosion, it would be on my mind constantly.

Speaking of Deveaux, how great was the scene where he recognizes that future Peter is standing there listening to their conversation. I wasn't expecting this at all, but found it fascinating. It was interesting to see a character, who's long been dead, show up again and have an important role in the Heroes mythology.

For a split second when the "tracking system" was explaining how her power worked I was in utter shock. She said something along the lines of, "I think of them in my mind, then point to them on the map." I was like, "is that it?" She can tell you I live in Oklahoma but she can't give you my address? How effective a tracking system is that?

Of course, I forgot all of this when she started talking about "the one person she can't track who is "a lot worse than the bogeyman" and who she doesn't think about because [Cue Haley Joel Osment in The Sixth Sense voice] "he can see me". Guess we just figured out who one of the main antagonists is going to be next season.

Oh yeah, and the map she pushed the pin into went down to the street level. The first thing I thought of was a map of the United States. Yes, I'm an idiot.

The scene with Ando, Hiro, and Sylar was just as suspenseful as it was a few weeks back. I about flipped out when the camera panned backwards and Ando found Sylar standing behind him. Again, what was Ando thinking?

I sat in on the live chat for this season finale and nearly every participant was overjoyed at two points in the show. The first was when Hiro zapped himself and Ando out of harms way. The second was when Hiro went all "waiter at a hibachi restaurant" on Sylar.

How is it Sylar let Hiro charge at him from 10 feet away, but Sylar was able to turn and stop Parkman's bullets Neo style in a millisecond. Just another one of the questions I'll just have to learn to not have an answer to (more in a second).

During the fight sequence between Nikki and Candice posing as Jessica I wasn't sure about something. Can Candice really fight or was she just making Nikki think she was getting her ass kicked? If I remember correctly, Candice admitted to being a tad on the large side. I don't know too many large people with moves like that aren't in the WWE.

The Showdown between Peter and Sylar was a tad on the anticlimactic side, but I guess that was to be expected. Of everything that happened in that last sequence, I was most happy to see Nathan redeem himself after consistently being a piece of crap all season.

Some questions: If Peter can fly, why didn't he just take off himself to spare the city from devastation? Why didn't Claire, who made a spectacular escape while being held captive by Mama and Nathan Petrelli - I might add, just shoot Peter? For that matter, Noah had a gun on Peter as well. Why let Nathan and Peter both die (presumably) when Peter was the only one who had to be killed? Also, what exactly set Peter into detonation mode and why didn't anyone mention the fact that Sylar's body was nowhere to be found? Surely someone must have noticed this. Also, as several people pointed out in the chat, where was everybody in the city? You know, normal non-powered New Yorkers? Did the city just shut down for a couple of hours?

Oh well, I guess I can't be too picky and I'm sure you all fill me in on your personal theories. I give this episode a 6. It was going to be impossible to live up to the hype, but all things considered, they did a decent job of it.Rating 6

Lastly, I found the clip to Generations really piqued my curiosity. To use Hiro's word, the show looks "@#$%!" good!

Can't wait to see how things play out outside Kyoto Japan in 1671.

(Heroes - S01E23) How do you rate this episode?
1 - Worst49 (4.7%)
240 (3.8%)
356 (5.4%)
4106 (10.2%)
5203 (19.4%)
6287 (27.5%)
7 - Best303 (29.0%)

MAK

FYI ... Regarding Sylar and how he gets his powers ... the March 16th issue of Entertainment Weekly Magazine (Ugly Betty on the cover) posed the following question to exec prod Tim Kring ... "Does Sylar get his powers by eating brains ?" His response - "That's the popular speculation," laughs Kring. "There is a connection between the powers and the brain -- and Sylar has found (it). Early in Season 2, you'll find out what he's been doing with the brains." .... so stay tuned ....

June 08 2007 at 6:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Peter

The Heroes finale was the biggest piece of crap. It's also sad to see a show that starts out with so much promise fall completely flat during the final episodes of the season. It was like the writers decided to phone it in cause they couldn't be bothered. And that ending left something to be desired, I have no interest in following Hiro on a stupid adventure back to some ancient time in Japan. Couldn't think of a better reason to stop watching a show that went from intelligent to brain dead over the course of the first season.

May 29 2007 at 7:02 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jumped the shark

I loved this show all season.. but wow was that lame...

1. Claire knows or should know that Peter can be shot/killed whatever and then heal up because he has Claire's power, so why is she/he so upset about the shot? The shot puts him down, he quits being inferno boy and then its all ok...

2. Peter could have flown himself out of New York. Didn't need big brother's help or sacrifice. If that wasn't where they were going to go with this then at some point in the past nine months they should have said, "when glowing, Peter can't use other powers." Leaving it up to us to make up an excuse for why the characters didn't see other obvious, less dire, and rather obvious possibilities is poor story telling.

3. Sylar gets bladed through the heart and a.) he doesn't die, b.) he then slithers down a manhole, and c.) no one does anything about it, or notices, or goes after him?

I'll hope for redemption next fall, but this is/was a really disappointing ending to a nice year worth of scripts and story.

May 28 2007 at 10:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jonathan Harford

Let's not paint Claire as noble -- she had a responsibility. She failed, and now she's responsible for the (non-temporary!) death of her father. I expect her to be wracked with guilt next season.

May 27 2007 at 11:01 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rob

Alright, let's see if some things may be clarified for those who don't understand Heroes. The show is about "ordinary people who become extraordinary." So the concept has always been, this is what it would be like in the real world if humans just randomly woke up with special powers. Meaning they react like normal humans would. With the same fear, anger, greed, desire, and joy that a normal human would exhibit. Granted, some creative license is taken in some areas to build character and whatnot, but it's still based on normal people.

So, this being said, pertaining to the finale, Peter (who for all those who forgot was just a nurse before this, not some ex-Navy Seal) was freaking the hell out and there was no way he could focus on using ANY powers. He had enough trouble containing the nuclear power as it was (remember he himself tells Nathan, "I can't control it."). There has been in many forums a huge debate about whether or not he can use more than one power at once--well that didn't matter here. He was trying his hardest just to contain the nuclear ability (remember him breathing in and out trying to calm himself down to no avail?). Also, they are ORDINARY people, he's not Superman or Wolverine who are Alpha male bad asses. Maybe given some years to hone his abilities and some horrible experiences, and maybe he could be like that (hence "Five Years Gone"). That hasn't happened yet though. Peter is too good a person at heart to really want to hurt someone (remember Charles tells him in the dream sequence about how he's good--and the whole "able to love unconditionally" bit). He's only REALLY used his abilities to help others. The only one completely in touch w/ his powers was Sylar since that's all he obsesses/hungers for. He also has no remorse and what little conscience he had, left when he killed his mom.

So those expecting the end of the Matrix Revolutions here between Peter and Sylar, had unfortunately exaggerated expectations. Sylar had never faced off against other supers directly, he mostly sneakily gained their trust and then sliced their heads off. Here he faced a super-strength Meta, and a seemingly weak nerdy Asian guy (who happened to bend space/time). I think he was in disbelief when Niki whacked the crap outta him (just look at his face when she takes the parking meter away), followed by Peter smacking him, and then finally followed up by the coup de grace of having the weak nerdy Asian appear from out of nowhere and run at him from a few feet away with a sword (keep in mind Hiro failed horribly before when he lost his concentration and allowed time to flow long enough for Sylar to freeze his sword). Not to mention Sylar thought Hiro to be weak-willed and incapable of doing anything (thus making Sylar overconfident, allowing him to drop his guard). Also, there could be no massive epic battle because Sylar wasn't trying to kill Peter, he simply wanted to toy w/ him until he could make him go nuclear (reason why he didn't let Hiro slice Pete's head off). I think people have wanted this show to become some corny Mutant X show where everyone just attacks each other w/ cheap CGI powers w/ no real reason or substance behind what they are doing.

I think the way it ended was a far more realistic and satisfactory conclusion than to have the Matrix Revolutions ending. Besides, it's just the first season, hopefully there will be plenty more seasons where our Heroes get more accustomed w/ their abilities and can start to really use them (possibly revealing their inner bad asses). So for me, I was highly satisfied w/ the way it ended and look forward to next season's fleshing out of the past heroes a la The Watchmen. Just my two cents. Flame on (if you must).

May 26 2007 at 5:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
tony

Nikki/Jessica is a F-Great Character! For those uncertain to what their powers are. Jessica has some kind of out-of-body ability. An Ability she used to protect her sister Nikki from their abusive Father. Nikki has super-strength. They share Nikki's body. Look at the On-line comic at NBC. For some reason Nikki thinks Jessica has the super-strenght but it's the other way around. Jessica is just willing to use the ability to protect Nikki. I know it's a bite confusing but it kind of sweet too.

As to Candice I have a couple of thoughts on this:
1) is from an earlier poster - I agree that when Candice was knocked out, all illusions should have been gone, including her appearance. While it hasn't been confirmed that that isn't her true appearance, hints have suggested that she is a bit larger than she is. Unless, of course, the writers say that she was so used to putting herself that way, that she unconsciously projects that appearance.
or 2) my other thought was that she may have been larger in the past but somehow discovered the more she used her powers she lost weight and the way she can manipulate the enviroment around her the more energy she needs so the more food she eats.

Peter can use more than one power but he has to think about power. Peter knows he's the bomb so he freakes out and can't control anything. Claire can't shoot the only person that really cares about her and the person that saved her.

And someone posted earlier the roach is a metamorph for Sylar.

I'm not sure way he needed claire. He's has been shot stabbed with sword, but I guess we as the audience know that until someone takes his brain or separates his head from his body he will keep on coming back.

Peter has to stop Sylar next season.

May 25 2007 at 9:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
James

For those that thought the ending was anticlimatic. Keep in mind that this whole season is part of a much larger story, not just some neat and tidy reality show that ties up everything after a season.

May 24 2007 at 5:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
FAP

If you want to know the significance of the cockroach go back to the first episode where Mohander is lecturing students in India.

And for the record I only knew that because I caught part of the 1st ep when it reran recently.

May 23 2007 at 3:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
julie

I guess the one last comment I have to add is in regard to the Peter/Sylar showdown. In the future that Isaac painted, Hiro was the one shown killing Sylar and Peter exploding. This came true, although Peter detonated in the atmosphere...

May 23 2007 at 6:39 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Allan

Okay gang, this was the best new series of the year, hands down.

But now we are into re-runs season. My suggestion to all you sci-fi, tough-brothers-battling-evil fans :

Check out Supernatural this summer. It's the next best thing to happen to TV this year.

May 23 2007 at 12:28 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply