July 23, 2014

Original Bionic Woman creator worried about remake

by Bob Sassone, posted May 21st 2007 3:26PM

The Bionic Woman

When someone remakes a TV show or a movie, they often go more serious or darker. Is it because producers and directors feel they have to go "serious" to justify a remake? Do we live in more cynical times? Do the producers feel that they can't make a quality show that also happens to be light?

Kenneth Johnson, the creator of the original Bionic Woman series in the '70s (a spinoff of The Six Million Dollar Man), tells the L.A. Times that he's worried about the remake. I guess I would, too, if an NBC exec called my show "kind of cheesy." Although Johnson has been impressed with the work of producer David Eick on Battlestar Galactica, he's not so sure they're doing the right thing with the remake of his show.

"I'm sorry to hear they went in that other direction. Friends of mine who've read the script felt it was not what we'd done before, that it was not the same direction."

This sort of reminds me of when the first Batman movie came out, and Adam West was irked they didn't ask him to play the role again.

The article points out that when times change (politically, socially, culturally), then the way that TV shows operate have to change too. That probably doesn't matter when it comes to sitcoms like According To Jim or to reality shows, but when you have a TV show dealing with espionage and fights and politics and terrorism and action, then you're going to see changes. Besides, if they were just going to remake The Bionic Woman, with the same tone and outlook, what would be the point?

Readers?

Kink

If anything David Eick is about female empowerment rather than female objectification. He's doing a show centered on a female protagonist, what more can he do to prove otherwise. It's willful ignorance to not be aware of that.

May 22 2007 at 10:01 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
LC

Geez My posts were working in the other threads, but not this one. I reboot and still it doesn't show up. I post now and 3 are up there. Feel free to delete two of them please.

May 22 2007 at 12:34 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
LC

If by "other direction" he means the government NOT spending millions of dollars on bionic appendages for a German Shepard, then I say the direction the new show is going is one that does not include a cliff with a steep drop.

May 22 2007 at 12:32 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
LC

May 22 2007 at 12:04 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
LC

May 22 2007 at 12:03 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kink

Ditto what bsgfan2003 said... I'm up for it for sure, especially with Katee Sackhoff involved. I love her :)

It's not surprising that the creator of the old show is worried about a re-imagining and while I empathize with him I would also hope that he realizes that the kind of tv show that worked in the 70's just wouldn't work today. Is it sad? Sure, but it is inevitable. Times change, tv shows are no different. If anything the creator should feel glad that his show is getting another run, different yes but still. Plus he'll get recognition for a show that a younger generation might not otherwise have heard about.

I can only speak for myself but I hold the originators of the original BSG in high regard, without their great premise the new BSG would not have come to pass and I would not have a favorite show.

There are positives and negatives to everything, no need to be a downer about something someone created being re-embraced, feel good about it and if it helps at all David Eick is a pretty great producer he'll do right by the show I'd imagine.

May 21 2007 at 7:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Porchland

I wonder if the Jim Carey remake of Six Million Dollar Man fell apart for the same reason. Why bother remaking something that screams for Alias/24/James Bond action adventure if you're just going to do the '70s version again?

I'm glad to see the producers go the serious route, but I hope there will be a lot of action and location scenes.

May 21 2007 at 5:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jack

Wasn't Bionic Woman a spin-off of Six Million Dollar Man anyway?

If his show had been all serious and they made it camp, he'd be complaining too. I agree, it's all about $$$.

May 21 2007 at 4:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
PunditGuy

The original creators tend to be upset if they're not connected to the new project in some financial way. Money makes all the hurt go away. Johnson wouldn't care if they made the title character a transgendered cyborg played by David Spade as long as he got a producing credit and a share of the DVD revenue.

May 21 2007 at 4:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply