July 23, 2014

Dancing With The Stars: Week 10

by Brett Love, posted May 22nd 2007 2:45AM
Laila & Maksim(S04E18) As Tom said, "Ten weeks, and it all comes down to this." We could argue about the order of the eliminations, who should have stayed longer (Shandi), and who hung around way too long (Billy Ray). But I think in the end, the right teams made it to the finals. There has been a lot of dancing over the previous nine weeks, and after all of it, these are the three teams that stood out above the rest.

With only three teams left, and the big disco ball on the line, each team has three performances to do this week. One is held off for the results show, but tonight we got to see each of them in the Judge's Choice round, and the much anticipated Freestyle. Let's get to it.

Judges Choice

Laila Ali and Maksim Chmerkovskiy (Pasa Doble) - This was one of the few dances that gave them trouble earlier in the season, so it was interesting to see them get another shot. It was an improvement, and Laila had much more difficult choreography to do. I thought the added difficulty worked against them. Laila was impressive, but there were a couple moments where she seemed to lose the rhythm. The theatrics of the performance were top notch though. Len thought it was fantastic. Bruno called it a tidal wave of passion and drama. Carrie Ann agreed with them and loved it as well. Score: 29 (10, 9, 10) I thought that was a little high.

Apolo Anton Ohno and Julianne Hough (Rumba) - The rumba was an interesting choice. It wouldn't have been mine. It was what we have come to expect from these two. Very intricate choreography, performed very well. They looked great together and I thought they had great chemistry. The dance lacked some of the flash we have seen in other numbers, but the more subdued steps were beautiful. Apolo continues to impress week after week, and I'm now firmly convinced that Julianne is the Pro of the year, or whatever you want to call it. This has been a fantastic debut on the show for her. Bruno compared it to American Gigolo somehow, and that was a good thing. Carrie Ann said it was over-performed. Len agreed with Carrie Ann, saying that the performance lacked romance. I have no idea what he was talking about. Score: 28 (9, 9, 10)

Joey & KymJoey Fatone and Kym Johnson (Cha Cha) - Now, if you have been playing along at home for the past ten weeks, you had to cringe at that marionette opening. Not that there was anything wrong with it, but there was no way that was going to play with Len. It's too late in the competition, with too much on the line, to not take those things into consideration. They got past that and went on to have a very fun performance. Unfortunately, it was a little too fun, and not really enough cha cha. Carrie Ann thought it lacked content. Len called it too theatrical, with too many tricks. Bruno said it was just not quite there. Score: 26 (9, 8, 9) They had a good point about the content of the dance.

Freestyle

Laila Ali and Maksim Chmerkovskiy (Freestyle) - The announcer threw me off for a second when he announced that Laila and Maks would be doing the pasa doble. Again? That was a mistake, of course, as this was their big freestyle routine. In retrospect, they may have been better served doing something more traditional with the freestyle spot. It's just not Laila's strong suit. She was good, but the time for good was three or four weeks ago. With Joey and Apolo waiting in the wings they needed something special, and this performance just didn't measure up. The judges all agreed that this just wasn't the right dance for her. All of them said that they would have preferred something more sophisticated and sensual. Score: (9, 8, 9)

Apolo & julianneApolo Anton Ohno and Julianne Hough (Freestyle) - This one was more what I was expecting from the freestyle portion of the competition. Julianne once again outdid herself with some great choreography. Apolo held up his end by managing some very intricate steps and pulling off some pretty impressive tricks. Bringing the break dancing into it was a gamble, to be sure, but it paid off in the end. Len said it was everything he wants to see in a freestyle. Bruno added that the Apolo Syndrome was taking over. Carrie Ann was so excited she didn't even comment on it. Score: 30 (10, 10, 10).

Joey Fatone and Kym Johnson (Freestyle) - Of all of the teams, this was the freestyle I was most looking forward to. Apolo and Laila are solid dancers, but neither of them can entertain like Joey, and the freestyle is right in his wheelhouse. They didn't disappoint. From the moment he ripped off his black suit to reveal his disco duds, everything was amazing. The huge leap from the stage was great. His first spin of Kym was incredible, and they carried that right on through the performance with trick after trick. The way he tossed her around was very impressive, and the dancing between the tricks was pretty good too. The performance of the night. Bruno called Joey Mr. Entertainment. Carrie Ann liked that they incorporated so many of the things they have learned in the competition. Len compared Joey to Harry Potter on the Nimbus 2000. Proving that he has been sitting next to Bruno for too long now. Score: 30 (10, 10, 10)

6 out of 7 So, with one dance to go, it's a close race. Laila & Maksim have 55, Joey & Kym have 56, and Apolo & Julianne have 58. Depending on how things shake out in the third performance, any of the teams can still win it. I'm picking Apolo & Julianne. Another great night of dancing gets this one a 6, out of 7.

Remember to vote in AOL's Dancing With The Stars poll!

Anne R

Laila is a bulldozer. And the previous writer is correct---she has always looked down on the floor and shouldn't. I have had ballroom lessons-I'm not good, though--and we were taught NOT to look at the floor or feet. But, like everything else, she has gotten away with it.

And someone asked where she got her lack of humility--my Gosh, where do you think: She's Muhammad Ali's daughter. There's not a speck of humility in his or her little toenail.

May 22 2007 at 7:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
patricia christner

well you wanted to know why i said what i did about apollo's votes well here it goes ; all over the computer people from canada the usa were complaining they could not get into apollo's line on the net or by phone ; joeys line wide open , it took my friend the whole hour to get thru on the net , it took me almost 45 min to get my votes in . sorry but people are really angryy funny don't u think

May 22 2007 at 5:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joe stalin

FAT ONE FAT ONE FAT ONE FAT ONE FAT ONE
Laila is definately 3rd. Apollo is just a programmed robot. He does what Julianne designs. Without her he'd be home now. Its the Fatone that not only nails the dances but adds the entertainment. He'd be here regardless of his partner (though Kim is great).

May 22 2007 at 2:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dlw

WE could not vote for Apollo last night. Constantly busy and when it wasn't busy we got disconnects. Wealso encountered a recorded message that said the number was not inservice. We checked the number being dialed and it was correct! Apollo was being robbed! ABC should have a revote.
DLW

May 22 2007 at 2:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Melissa

Not only did I vote for Apollo and Joey (more Apollo than Joey), I did it while Laila was dancing. In yo' face beotch.

May 22 2007 at 2:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mitch

What do these judges see in Laila? Maks is a great dancer but from day 1 I have no idea how she has made it this far. She still looks like and amateur while Apolo and Joey look better each week. If she wins this year my wife and I will watch something else next season.

May 22 2007 at 2:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rae

I used all my votes for Joey & Kim. I just don't get what other people are looking at or for in these dances. My second choice would be Apollo & Julianne. They are so cute together and they dance very well. Laila & Maks have not been favorites of mine because although I am glad that they have a woman in the finals, she is just not up to par with the guys. I think that this competition is harder to begin with for the men. They have to appear to be 'leading' their professional partners, while the women have to learn the dances and 'follow' their partners. I am disappointed that this year they chose to have 3 couples in the finals and I don't believe they ever told us why they were going to make that change. Anyway, they've all done a fantastic job, but you could see right from the start who was going to be in the finals. Congrats to all the dancers--they've done very well!

May 22 2007 at 1:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
patricia christner

HI EVERYONE , I'N APOLLO ALLTHE WAY ''' BUTHEARD SOME DISTURBING NEWS LAST NITE SAID 90% OF APOLLO'S VOTES GONE , DID ANYONE BESIDES ME HAVE TROUBLE VOTING FOR APOLLO ,ALL I CAN SAY IS GOOD LUCK APOLLO &JULIEANN GOD BLESS BRING THE TROPHY HOME U DESERVE IT

May 22 2007 at 1:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
La-Di-Dah

About the freestyle: I haven't watched any dwts seasons, but for this one, so I can't compare Mario's freestyle to Apollo's, but what I appreciated most about Apollo and Julianne was their youthful exuberance. If they had performed anything that made them seem older, I would have been displeased. And they did well with what they could work with - all 3 dancing pairs did. The only pair that could do proper, no holds barred lifts was Joey and Kym due to their size ... dismorphism. The way Apollo and Julianne choreographed it so that Apollo would propel Julianne through the flips was a creative way since Apollo has no size on Julianne or upper arm strength. Same with Laila and Maks - they did the best pseudolifts they could.

May 22 2007 at 12:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Emma

I was disappointment in all three couples' performance. I agree all of them just did not seem to performance at the level expected for the final round. Getting 8's.

May 22 2007 at 11:52 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply