August 22, 2014

Goodbye Stone Phillips

by Bob Sassone, posted May 22nd 2007 2:28PM

Phillips and CurryNBC is trying to save money everywhere.

Longtime Dateline host Stone Phillips is being let go by the network, for money reasons. Phillips' current co-host, Ann Curry, will continue to do the show. I guess NBC wants someone in there who is already under contract and does other stuff at the network. Curry is the newsreader on The Today Show too. She'll be joined by various NBC reporters as rotating co-hosts.

No word on what Phillips will do now. I wonder why they didn't just keep him on and have him do other things at the network and MSNBC? Maybe he didn't want to, who knows.

J. Ray

I miss Stone Phillips on Dateline. In my opinion, he was the best. I can't understand why you did not keep him instead of Ann Curry. It's not that I don't like Ann, but she could have stayed at the To Day show and he could have done Dateline by his self. I had watched Dateline a long time, I do not watch it anymore. I hope I will be seeing Stone on another network soon.

November 25 2007 at 11:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
A Different Scott

I hate to see Stone Phillips go, and I am positive they could have found something, certainly on MSNBC, like getting rid of Tucker Carlson and putting Stone on for that time slot. I hope we see Stone somewhere soon, and NBC should see what they are doing from out POV, like when they kept the late and lame Katie Curry around. She is cute, but biased and only capable of reading after she was rude to her guests with whom she obviously disagreed with their politics. I like Ann Curry, and I believe she is not only lovely, but sincere. Al, yuck! I like Matt, Natalie, and the other reporters who are on TODAY and other news programs. I want Stone back on the air.

August 14 2007 at 8:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Susan

I will miss Stone go as well. He seems like such a pleasant gentleman and was enjoyable to watch. But why do they say at the closing, "FOR all of us...good night." Shouldn't they say, "FROM all of us?" I never get that. Anyway, they made a mistake by letting him go. Ann is OK but sort of cheezy and too wholesome; at least she isn't cutsie and full of herself like Katie.

August 14 2007 at 7:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
_

NBC's loss will be another network's gain! Stone Phillips is a classy, intelligent professional. He is empathetic as well as sincere. No more "Dateline" for us now! We will tune in to whatever network is savvy enough to hire him.

August 14 2007 at 6:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jane

So very sad that NBC would let the talented Stone leave. He is worth every penney he is paid and more. What is NBC thinking?
Yep, Curry, who seems insincere, could exit any day now and not be missed and oh yes, give Al Roker the boot - he adds nothing.

August 14 2007 at 5:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sally carson

I've thought from the very first day of Meredith on the TODAY show, that Curry was upstaging her....and she continues to do so....she looks like she would like to take over the whole show. Glad she will now have her own hour, and that I am now a GMA fan....they respect each other there.

August 14 2007 at 5:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gramma Nadya Rossi

Stone Phillips and Mitt Romney~notice how you never see them in the same place at the same time? (Both kind of remind me of that "handsome" newman muppet from years ago, but I can't remember the name. Stone seems pretty likeable, though. Can't warm up to Mitt.

Ann Curry? Ewwwww. Remember the joke about "act sincere?"

August 14 2007 at 4:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
coleary711

Hope ABC gets stone phillips . He cannot replace peter jennings but would be great They have much the same delivery. GOOD LUCK...Ann curry////you are kidding right.

August 14 2007 at 2:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
oshinsd

I think Dateline is making a huge mistake. He is classy and articulate. He will sorely be missed! ...at least by me! Stupid executive decisions, they make big money and make stupid decisions almost ALWAYS!!!

August 14 2007 at 12:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
justme

We have enjoyed Stone Phillilps for years and haven't found anyone that comes close to him. He is very professional -- without being stuff; sincere -- without being maudlin; easy to look at -- without even trying!

Good luck Stone on your next assignment; sure it won't be long.

August 14 2007 at 11:56 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply