September 30, 2014

Palmerston North, NZ can not take a joke

by Paul Goebel, posted May 22nd 2007 5:21PM

Do not piss off John CleeseRecently John Cleese performed in the New Zealand city of Palmerston North and he found the crowd there less than welcoming. So much so, that in an interview afterwards he took a couple of shots at the city by saying it was the suicide capital of the country. In retaliation, residents of Palmerston North have erected a sign in front of a landfill that says Mt. Cleese.

Let's all pause while we enjoy the hilarity.

As a comedian, I have done way too many shows that I was unhappy with. Most of the time, I will take the blame for the bad show or just chalk it up to some unavoidable occurrence. However, every once in a while, I am forced to point the finger at the audience. Now, when I do it, it's generally in the privacy of my car on the way home with no one else in attendance. John Cleese, being the legend that he is, took a different tactic.

Don't get me wrong, it's a risky move to blame an entire town for your bad show but Cleese is a comedian. Moreover, anyone who knows anything about Monty Python is well aware that Cleese is probably the nastiest Python member (excluding Terry Gilliam). It should be no surprise that he took a couple shots at the people in town and it should be noted that he did it by making a joke.

I am constantly amazed by the lack of ability to take a joke that has permeated the world. John Cleese is known for one thing: making jokes. But, for some reason, the folks in the "city" of Palmerston North have decided that they and their precious hometown are off limits. When are people going to get over themselves and realize that when it comes to comedy, we are all a target (some bigger than others)?

Look at it this way, if comedians stopped making fun of people, there would be no Don Rickles and more Jay Leno. Do you really want that?

Bash

I just commented on your comment in your blog and commented on your comment about your comment in your blog here.

*feisty grin*

Yes I just wanted to point out that this is the comments section of a blog and that maybe you should leave comments here - not links.

So anybody who wants to read my comment on the comment on the blog in my blog use Google to find my blog. It's possibe, trust me :-)

May 23 2007 at 8:05 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JD

I just commented about this on my blog (http://www.blogigo.co.uk/drifting/Revenge-on-John-Cleese/3252/). My reaction in a word "pathetic".

May 23 2007 at 4:00 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kel

Paul, it seems like you totally missed it. Both sides threw out jokes and right now the town is winning. Now Cleese needs to come back with a mama joke, then it's ON!

May 22 2007 at 9:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jds65

Some more detail can be found at http://www.stuff.co.nz/4067524a6427.html

May 22 2007 at 6:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ian

Will this become a series?

May 22 2007 at 6:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dave

You said it Hank, and theirs was funnier.... let's hope this escalates!

May 22 2007 at 5:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Peter Lynn

I thought the city's response was pretty funny. In fact, their comeback is funnier than his original joke.

May 22 2007 at 5:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
DougE

I applaud both John Cleese and the New Zealand city of Palmerston North.

It's obvious that both can not only give as good as they get with said jokes, but they've also succeeded in garnishing a good chunk of publicity over the incident as well.

May 22 2007 at 5:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Hank

if the town should note that he was making a joke shouldn't Cleese, and you, not that they responded in kind by making a joke? or can only comedians make jokes?

May 22 2007 at 5:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply