October 21, 2014

Veronica Mars: Weevils Wobble But They Don't Go Down / The Bitch Is Back (series finale)

by Keith McDuffee, posted May 22nd 2007 11:29PM
jake kane
(S03E19/S03E20)
Well now I'm pissed. As if I wasn't already pissed before this episode aired, they go and end things with a big ol' fizzle. Unfortunately for all of us, Rob Thomas took a gamble that the series would get picked up for a new season, so we're left what feels very, very much like a season ender, not a series ender. And sorry, but a flash-forward reboot retooling can't possibly clear up the loose ends we're left with after this episode.

With that said, even though we all know this was a series ending episode, this was pretty decent for a season ender.

First of all, we finally got Weevil back into the show. What's Francis Capra been doing all this time? Nothing, as far as I know. He was sorely missed, and it's always a treat to see him back into his old 'hood ways. It's been sad to see him basically neutered from his bout in prison, which I guess is a valid message for this show to send -- crime doesn't pay. I do love the Martha Stewart defense he used; I'll have to remember that.

Veronica sure did love whipping her badge out any chance she could. I actually have to wonder if that's at all based in reality. What I mean is, are there really any 19-year-old PI's out there? Is that even remotely a possibility? Still, it was great to see her taking on her own cases in a more official manner, so to speak.

Something that became more obvious as this season went on was how very small Hearst seems. I mean, it seems even smaller than Neptune High in some respects. Veronica is once again humiliated in front of the entire school, and that's where things really do feel so very small. How can such a small school have such an insane computer system? I know, small details.

What I really loved about this episode was how they were able to fit in what felt like a season-long mystery into two hours. Finally we had a case with substance, something that felt bigger than anything Veronica had handled before. Once again the final mystery always seems to be very personal to Veronica, which I guess has always been what's driven her to do so well at her job. The more emotionally involved she is with the case, the more energy she exerts into it.

Random thought: I wasn't sure who to root for during that fight scene, Logan or Piz. I liked seeing them both bloodied up, so it's all good.

When Veronica happened upon the painting of Lily, I at first thought, "is that ... Parker?!" It wasn't that great of a likeness, but then I heard a familiar voice but couldn't place it. Then I saw the face of the man we heard, and I still couldn't place him quite yet. Then I paused the show and it dawned on me just before we saw the (better) painting of Duncan that this was Jake Kane! Now *that* was a great reveal. Honestly, that was a great shout-out to us long-time fans of the show and it just about made up for what was quickly becoming a lacking episode.

The whole issue with The Castle rang familiar to The Tridents Tritons we saw back in Neptune High, which I sorta felt was a cop out. It didn't feel as fresh as it should have, though the information Veronica had in her hands was far more important than what she had on the Tridents.

So, with the way things ended in this episode, we're left with a lot of "what the heck would have happened next" moments that will likely never be answered:

- What would Weevil have done with the ID machine he kept?
- Though it seems pretty obvious, who wins the election for sheriff? And if Vinnie wins, what will Keith do?
- Will Logan have the mob after him now?
- Did Veronica keep that info from Kane's hard drive?
- Not that I care, but would Parker still be around?
- Would Jake Kane make more of an appearance?
- Would Dick actually clean up his ways a bit more the way he seems to be trying ... somewhat?

(See tomorrow for a post I'm doing about the retooled show -- insider info and all that)

rating6Well, even with the series ending in what I consider a sputter for what I think Rob Thomas and crew could have pulled off with a true series ender, it's been a pleasure doing these reviews for you all. I guess Veronica Mars will just have to live on in DVD form. To be honest, though, I think I'll stick with just season one.

Quote of the episode:

Mac: "Hey, anyone else hear there's going to be a Matchbox 20 reunion show?"
Piz: "So? Rob Thomas is a whore."

(Note: Yes, I know it's not the same Rob Thomas, but I'm pretty sure the joke was there.)

(Veronica Mars - S03E19/S03E20) How do you rate this episode?
1 - Worst16 (3.7%)
210 (2.3%)
313 (3.0%)
424 (5.6%)
560 (14.0%)
6121 (28.2%)
7 - Best185 (43.1%)

pinkette

ehrm,so who ends up together???is it "pizonica" or "LoVe"...Philippines is kinda late on airing veronica mars...and i just bought the 3rd season of veronica mars(still dont have the time to watch it bec. of school stuff)...please answer my question through this e-mail add... pinker_sp13@yahoo.com.ph...please please please...

August 13 2007 at 5:43 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Borat

I just finished watching the whole series in the past month (~2 episodes a month) and I am devastated the way they ended the series!

The third season was unusually weak, with Logan being a totally crap character...not one smart-ass comment from him...

I have to say I have totally fallen for Veronica Mars (the character). I can't think of a better female character on TV...so cute yet so smart and witty...the best moments of the show are definitely when she is such a smart-ass and witty.

I decided to check whether this show every got any Emmy noms and I was stunned...Enrico Colantoni (Elliott!) was also brilliant throughout...the daughter/father dynamic of the show was definitely captivating.

This being left unresolved is just too disappointing...

July 11 2007 at 11:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
D A Roberson

I have watch VM from the beginning. As TV imitates life of course, she had to go up. I'm sad and sorry the that it has been cancelled. Maybe a different day/time slot would have worked. I have never been interested in or watched any of CW's line up before and with the show cancelled I will not be watch CW in the future. You Lose!

June 02 2007 at 1:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jessie

well if he is going to retool i guees he'll hav to do flashback sequences to tie most of the threds still hangen from past episodes i didnt get to see the last one nd a half seasons bcos BB came to air in australia i guess they didnt pick up the last season bcos it gots the ax too bad it was a good mix of nancy drew meets the oc in chino

May 31 2007 at 3:26 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mel

Don't you get paid to write these? I would think that would involve just the tiniest bit of research, which is all you would need to find out that Capra has been sick and was unable to film for a while. His illness required steroids as part of the treatment, and the side-effects include weight gain and complexion issues, which is why he has looked bigger in the more recent episodes.

May 25 2007 at 7:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
amy

Ugh. Ok CW, we get that VM is cancelled but can you please order another 2 hours to tie everything up. I'm so sad it didnt get the finale it deserves.

May 24 2007 at 10:40 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
AnneLaurie

"The Castle prizes secrecy over everything else, and whoever was on that video would have wanted to find out where it came from. And I think if Jake Kane had known that's what put Veronica on their tails, he would have been furious."

No doubt! If you wanna get to a happier place... think about Clarence Weidman's reaction to young Gorey's Castle-threatening sloppiness. Who would you bet on in a fight, the snotty offspring of some Central-European mafiya offshoot, or the ex-Agency professional who could murder Aaron Echolls and walk away?

May 23 2007 at 9:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ac

I watch the show because of the character Veronica Mars herself. The rest of the cast I could of cared less about. The FBI retooling would've been great and I hope the CW will figure that out by June 15. Although it seems they are trying to attract the stupid MTV viewers that watch NeXt and The REal World crap they air. And after Smallville ends next year (it will trust me) they will be left with nothing anyone with half a brain can enjoy. Congradulations CW for screwing yourselves after 1 season in existance!

May 23 2007 at 2:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Seth

Although I did enjoy this season, I agree that the VM storyline is done.

I think the fast-forward to Quantico was a brilliant idea - no it would not be the same show, but the show needs to change anyway.

I think the Veronica Mars character is too powerful a franchise to drop.

May 23 2007 at 2:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply