October 25, 2014

Chloe O'Brian and "the fainting"

by Meredith O'Brien, posted May 23rd 2007 7:01PM

Morris and Chloe O'Brian on 24*If you haven't yet watched the season finale of 24, go far, far away from this blog post.*

Of all the developments that bugged me during the two-hour 24 season finale, the Chloe O'Brian plot turn was on my list of irksome moments.

In the midst of the end-of-the-day chaos, while Chloe was trying to track down the whereabouts of Jack Bauer's evil papa, she collapsed as her ex-husband Morris rushed to her side. Immediately, the folks who were with me in the TV Squad 24 live chat jokingly suggested that Chloe was pregnant, but I didn't think her ailment would be that obvious.

It couldn't be a pregnancy because having a pregnant woman faint is so cliched. Yet there she was, minutes later, lying in a hospital bed in the CTU medical unit telling Morris she was going to become a mama.

I don't know the time frame in which the seventh season of 24 will commence, whether the writers will zoom ahead in time so we won't be forced to endure Chloe's pregnancy, or witness (God forbid!) the birth of the love child or else they'd have to change the 24 intro to:

The following takes places after the appearance of the blue lines on the pregnancy stick.

missgirly24

katymarie it was not season two but three. The baby was Chase's and his ex-girlfriend's.

Adam told Kim that the baby was not Chloe's because he read her file and noticed that she did not have a baby. However he did not say anything about a medical condition therefore she can become pregnant.

July 15 2007 at 1:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gordy

Should it be considered a 'love child' when the parents are married?

June 15 2007 at 12:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
katymarie

I seem to remember from a past season, I think season 2...when a baby mysteriously showed up at CTU, and they found Chloe taking care of it. They eventually wrote the baby out of the storyline (guess the writers changed their minds about that one), but someone at CTU said the baby couldn't be Chloe's - she had some kind of medical condition that prevented her from becoming pregnant. Anyone else remember this?

June 05 2007 at 5:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joe T

Chloe + Morris + baby = lame, lame, lame. The person who wrote this piece of drivel story line should be handed over to Jack for interrogation (and we all know what that would mean). But the person who approved this story line ought to be forced to watch this crap on an endless loop for three months, THEN be handed over to Jack for interrogation. Ahhhhh, I feel so much better now.

May 30 2007 at 12:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Crawford Mills

Please God, let Chloe go away and have her baby. We're tired of her "frown, lips twisted, eyes cast up to right" major acting feat that she imparts several times each episode. I imagine her CTU co-workers are tired of it too.

Crawfo

May 26 2007 at 12:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Shreela

Amy -- I've seen plenty of pregnant women faint, or come very close to it. I've come close to it myself, and needed assistance to something to sit on.

As far as throwing up: What time of the day was it? Although a pregnant woman can become nauseated at any time, it's usually during the morning.

May 25 2007 at 7:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JB

Proof that Jack is Josh's father

During the 2 hour finale I noticed something very interesting. I happened to have the closed caption on and during the recap of the previous episode they showed when Jack rescued Josh and Cheng got away.

Josh is hanging from a girder and he calls out "Help!" to get Jack's attention .Interestingly enough, the caption does not match up with the sound track. On the caption after Josh yells "Help" and then he calls Jack "Dad". I rewound and put my TiVo on slow motion and you can read Josh's lips and clearly see that he calls Jack "Dad".

This sequence is during the first couple of minutes of the finale. Looks like the writers decided not to use that reveal then or maybe ever.

May 25 2007 at 3:02 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Walt

"In tonight's episode, the part of 'Midwife' will be played by a Mountain Lion"

May 24 2007 at 11:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
George

They better get the DNA testing kit out.
One of the Pressman brothers? Morris? Wasn't she also doing some other guy last season? Oh, yeah, that was too long ago, but, as evidenced, our gal Chloe gets around quite nicely, thank you.

May 24 2007 at 6:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Monty

Someone that evens suggests a "pregnancy" with a main character in a show that's spanned five seasons should have their union card revoked. I can't believe in a writer's meeting it was even taken seriously.

It's such a freakin TV cliche that I was convinced there was no way they would do it, even after my wife said "uh oh, I bet she's pregnant." And this coming on the heels of the backlash the show was getting towards the end and the writers coming out and saying they heard what the fans where saying.

May 24 2007 at 1:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply