July 31, 2014

Jericho fans go 'nuts' over cancellation

by Anna Johns, posted May 23rd 2007 9:01AM
jericho; nuts onlineJericho fans aren't just sending sternly-worded e-mails and signing petitions to save the show, they've also launched a 'Send NUTS' campaign that is really picking up steam. This fan website concocted the campaign after CBS announced Jericho's cancellation at last week's Upfronts presentation. The reason for the nuts is based on something a Jericho character, Jake, said when New Bern's commander asked him to surrender. He said "Nuts!" That also happens to be a famous response given by WWII Gen. MacAuliffe when asked to surrender at the Battle of the Bulge.

Fans have enlisted the help of a family-owned New Jersey nut company called NutsOnline, whose employees are working overtime to handle the sudden increase in demand for nuts. The business is taking orders and sending bulk shipments to CBS. As of Tuesday, nearly 5,000 pounds of nuts have been ordered and/or shipped. You can order here if you, too, think CBS is NUTS for canceling Jericho.

*Update: NutsOnline is donating $.10 on each pound of nuts shipped to rebuild Greensburg, Kansas, which was destroyed by a tornado earlier this month.

Michael

I am actually to the point where I think the Save Jericho campaign should switch to the other networks to get one of them to add it to their schedules. Both NBC and ABC are struggling to fill their schedules with new shows. Here's a show with a built in audience! Nina Tassler and the execs who work with her have already shown their true colors and I think we the viewing public may stand a better chance of getting one of the other networks on our side. Hell, if the new guy over at NBC wants to look good all he has to do is throw a bone to us fans and he'll look like a hero. You know that the media would eat that stuff up like ice cream!

Look at what happened to JAG - a mediocre success on its original network (NBC). It was canceled after one season after finishing 77th in the ratings. Another network took a chance on the show and CBS added them as a midseason replacement. JAG went on to have NINE SUCCESSFUL SEASONS after NBC gave up on them. Not only that, they had a successful spin off show - NCIS was renewed for a fifth season next fall.

JAG finished 77th in the ratings, Jericho averaged 48th thru its first season. Doesn't it make sense that someone would want to take notice of that???

May 31 2007 at 10:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
The Midnight Penguin

wow mrhmatt, I watched both Jericho and Donnellys, but if those are your two reasons to have ordered cable, I feel sorry for you. While Jericho was one of my favorite shows of the season (Donnellys not so much, I just hoped it would get better) I wouldn't get cable JUST for the show. Seems just about as crazy as sending nuts into a studio...

May 30 2007 at 12:13 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mrhmatt

I hate reality tv. I ordered cable for 2 shows(Jericho and Black Donnellys). I'm going to cancel cable now that both shows are canceled. Screw Deal or No Deal, American Idol, and all the other retarded shows. Its just NUTS to me.

May 29 2007 at 2:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ros39

To be honest, I never watched the show but decided to join the fight to protest the shows I liked that were cancelled. Nothing gets done if people just sit by, shrug their shoulders and say "Oh well what to do."

You do whatever to let the networks no that the PEOPLE still factor into the equation.

Just wish this kind of devotion could be used to check the goings on of the current administration.

May 28 2007 at 7:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JT

Jericho sucked after the first five (5) episodes, I wish they would have cancelled it early instead I watched the whole year. For all those who are mad about the cancellation there is plenty of other terrible TV all over the place for you to watch.

May 25 2007 at 8:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
PeteL

Almost 14000lbs of nuts so far.

LOL

May 24 2007 at 1:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dan

To the posters who thought the show was lame--give it another try when/if comes back. The first few shows were indeed a bit sappy but the last few episodes were really exciting and tense as Jericho battled New Bern for supremacy. As for the nuts campaign, it may work! Fans of Roswell brought it back with a Tabasco sauce campaign and fans of Arrested Development used bananas! So give it shot, and the delivery of tons of nuts is pretty funny indeed! And CBS is donating the nuts to the homeless shelters and zoos, so the money is not wasted. All the publicity can't hurt and CBS may bring the show back to capitalize on it!

May 23 2007 at 10:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Paul

Shawn: There's no need to "yell" and be so angry. I doubt you're a regular poster/reader on TV Squad (or maybe I just hope you're not). I also hope you're not contacting CBS with crap like that, because as a fan of the show, comments like yours make any chance of a resolution less likely!

I do not care to join in on campaigns like the "NUTS" campaign, but I think it's great that people are willing to do it. Before any of these campaigns even started, I did my part and sent a very concise and coherent e-mail to CBS explaining my concerns with the show's cancellation and why, from a BUSINESS stand-point, it was a poor move.

Now, I'll just wait and see how things will proceed now that CBS has publicly acknowledged the fans' support and promised closure (how much will be decided by meetings between network execs and producers of the show later this week, I believe). I'll certainly be happy with any kind of resolution, as it is better than being left on a complete cliffhanger with so many questions up in the air.

May 23 2007 at 5:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bash

make that "show" not "shot".

May 23 2007 at 3:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bash

Stop yelling, moron.

This is a waste of money but the ad campaign for "Enterprise" was way more expensive and didn't benefit anyone either.

At least this way a little nut company can make some profits.

I wonder when the day will come when people start sending money to AIDS funds to really "shot them".

May 23 2007 at 3:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply