October 1, 2014

Law & Order SVU: Screwed (season finale)

by Anna Johns, posted May 23rd 2007 12:31PM
svu; special victims unit(S08E22) Was it me, or was there just too much happening in this episode? "Screwed" was a culmination of not just this entire season, but of the entire series. And we're left, once again, to wonder whether the SVU squad is going to be disseminated.

The episode starred Ludacris, reprising his role as Det. Tutuola's stepson, Darius, from a March 2006 episode. But, despite the stellar acting job from Ludacris, it wasn't about him at all. In fact, his alleged crime wasn't even the center of the story (I stopped trying to remember the Ludacris episode when I realized that it didn't matter). Instead, Ludacris was the tool the writers used to pick apart all the mistakes the SVU detectives have made over the years and leave us hanging about their fate. The detectives were the ones on trial.

It took me a while to understand why Darius would put SVU on trial, but after he repeated the phrase, "Cops protect their own" a few times, I caught on. He was attacking the detectives because they function as a family, and he never had a family to support him. He's very bitter about this whole family thing. And when he found out the truth about his past--that he was the product of an incestuous rape--he refused to believe it and preferred his loner status instead.

But, there was still waaaay too much happening for an hour-long procedural drama. We've been following Benson and Stabler's family dramas for years now, so those didn't feel like they were out of left field. Stabler's daughter's DUI got a few mentions this season, so we were already familiar with it. And Benson's debacle with her brother just recently wrapped up, so we're familiar with that, too.

What I didn't like was the two pieces of dirty laundry that pretty much appeared out of thin air to take down Det. Tutuola and Capt. Cragen. Tutuola looked like a fool on the stand because of something he did 10 years ago while on the job. And Cragen is being taken down by some random lieutenant with a 15-year old grudge? That was just too much. It shows that we don't get to see a lot of backstory for the characters other than Benson and Stabler, so the writers just had to make something up for Cragen and Tutuola. And, to top things off, ADA Novak is also in trouble for losing the case against Darius.

So. I guess Det. Munch is the only one left at SVU? Rad. I love that guy.

rating4I don't know about you guys, but I'm not going to be sitting on pins and needles all summer long wondering whether these characters will keep their jobs. So, I'm giving this episode a disappointing rank of '4' for being too chock full of... stuff.

Cole

The song that is used in the Fanale is "Sense of Touch" by Mark Isham, a very touching song.

July 18 2007 at 11:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
maria

the song at the end was also fromthe movie "Crash"---it's called "sense of touch" but I don't know by who. yeah, it was a great song, made me ball my eyes out a little at the end.

July 15 2007 at 11:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Susan

I loved the show! REALLY hate the characterof Olivia's brother! Hope he is off the show for good.
YES, please let Olivia find a fella!!! She is TOO gorgeuos NOT to have one. (girl crush,and no i'm not gay!...not that there is anything wrong with that!) Yes, would LOVE to see more of Munch! His wit always makes me laugh!
SVU is GREAT, but in some ways CI comes in neck to neck. With Goran. Chris Noth just doesn't seem to interest me at all, but I DO like his captain.

June 27 2007 at 2:51 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Xochitl Sànchez

Does somebody know which was the song at the end of the episode?

June 23 2007 at 3:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
monika

Not at all. This ending was great. It gave the characters a chance to re-evaluate. It was a great story for all the characters - even Munch.

I am "on needles and pins" for september. SVU is one of the best written shows an US-TV.

June 08 2007 at 3:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
John

I have watched some of the BBC's procedurals (crime shows) and they blow away American shows when it comes to dark characters...when the "good guys" can be really bad. The same can be said for the angst experienced by some of those shows protaganists.

"Life on Mars" had an interesting episode in which the entire squad kept quiet about some wrongdoing. "Afterlife" features a psychic tormented by her "gift". "Wire in the Blood" almost lost it's lead character to a suicide. I must also mention "Cracker".

There was an attempt to make an American version of "Cracker", and it failed because it sucked. I am not looking forward to the American version of "Life on Mars", but it will be interesting to see if it is anywhere near as dark as the original.

SVU and the other American shows do not hold a candle to these shows, and that is not to say that I am not a fan of many of the American shows...but there still is the happy ending syndrome always panning out.

June 05 2007 at 5:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
chelsie

who did the song at the end of the screwed episode? Can I get the title and artist?

June 04 2007 at 11:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rosie Walker

Had heard that Munch was going to be on the new show M.O.N.Y. (Mayor of New York) but it didn't get picked up (I thought it was just a guest star thing though)

If they get rid of Munch I quit watching, SVU is really starting to bug me just too far from the original show. Too soap opera like and too much unstable Stabler adn Benson off on her own.

May 27 2007 at 10:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
patrick

Great show.Intense, dark, brooding. I agree with above comments but I have been watching L&O since it first came out in the 90's. Watch reruns all the time. Its unfortunate it hasn't won more Emmys as it is the best crime drama out (OMO). DOn't see many of the episodes new.

Does anybody know the song at the end of the episode? I'm not sure how to find out. Thanks.

May 25 2007 at 4:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Diamond

I agree with you Anna, this episode was full of stuff. But it was a fantastic episode! Little weird Munch was kinda left out though..

May 25 2007 at 3:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply