September 20, 2014

NCIS: Angel Of Death (season finale)

by Brett Love, posted May 23rd 2007 9:19AM
Lauren Holly(S04E24) CBS has been teasing this episode for a couple weeks now, with promises of secrets being revealed. They did get to the big one, though that was more of a confirmation of what we already expected. Overall though, I think they oversold it. Another case of the promotions department writing checks that the writers aren't cashing.

That feeling of something being incomplete carried over into the rest of the episode as well. It just didn't have the feel of the big season finale. The show set a very high bar with "Twilight" in season two and can't afford to just phone it in like this. Half of this episode could have just been dropped right in the middle of any other episode and it wouldn't have made a difference. That's fine, for episodes 2 through 23, but the big guns have to come out for the first and the last.

The worst example of what I am getting at is Tony and Jeanne's (Scottie Thompson) big morgue adventure. And my problem with it isn't that I don't like Jeanne, though I know there are a number of NCIS fans that would rather just be done with her. I like her character, and what she has brought to Tony's story over the course of the season. But really, what the hell was that? I could have gone along with this oddball morgue hostage situation in episode 15. I'd even be happy to buy right in to Jeanne taking charge and stabbing Nick. But after waiting the entire season to find out what was up with this story, I expected more in the finale.

Getting confirmation that La Grenouille (Armand Assante) is her father was one of the secrets/answers we were waiting for. As was the fact that he, through Trent Kort, was behind the mysterious photographs. Unfortunately, the episode playing in my head during the commercials was more interesting than most of what we got from Tony and Jeanne. When Ziva told Ducky that she had a funny feeling about Tony being missing, I thought she was going to go to the hospital and save the day. It would have put the 'is it' or 'isn't it' love triangle right there on the screen for us. Not to mention the fact that a badass Israeli woman busting through the door would mean that Tony has some 'splainin' to do.

They really didn't give us much in the way of Jenny's story either. We already knew that her father was still alive and had somehow faked his suicide 12 years ago. I do always enjoy it when MacGee gets on a geek sidetrack while trying to explain things to Gibbs, but his labors didn't bare a lot of fruit where the big mystery was concerned. What the story did seem to reinforce is the idea that Jenny shouldn't be too comfortable in the Director's office. She's now bringing trouble down on all of NCIS with her reckless actions.

Another part of the episode that just struck me as being off was the decision to split the team up. There was so little interaction between all of them. It does set things up for what should be a very good premiere in the fall, but that is at the expense of the finale, which is unfortunate. In minor character news, it can't be just me. It's really time to fish or cut bait with the Palmer/Lee story.

4 out of 7 Maybe my expectations were too high. But this is the season finale of a show that has proven in the past that it can deliver. I think high expectations are warranted. They did the work over the course of the season to get to what could have been a great season finale. Unfortunately, they only showed us a small part of it, and we'll have to wait until the fall to see the rest. It's been a very good season of NCIS, but it has gone out on a low note. I'm giving this one a 4, out of 7.

shanicefrancis

shanice francis
hey!
I watch ncis alot.I think your last episode was super cool!!!
Hey Abby i like your boots!!I think they are kicking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

October 07 2011 at 1:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
m0t3l

Hi,
I'm a very big fan off NCIS. I would know if there will be a season 5 or is the angel of death really the end?
thx m0t3l

July 02 2007 at 8:47 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Margaret Palmer

I think it was Jeanne's assighnment to get into NCIS-the director- for her father. Why else would she be persuing Tony? I think the whole thing with her losing her apt was to set it up. buying a house?

June 23 2007 at 10:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
john calder

The season finale could have been any episode from 2-22 but with the bar set so high with season 2 and 3 enders this kinda lacks something. Tony must be undercover still going back to when he was working as a baggage handler and panhandler watching this crew for the Director. He kept this secret from Gibbs and has never told jeanne his real occupation so I'm guessing this is part of his deep cover op. He keeps the secret from the team as well and only talks to the director about his romance problems. I am curious about where this goes but so far seems to lack the Ari shows in writing and constant who is he? who does he really work for? When will he show up next? sceniarios. This one came out of no where for no real reason or followable story line. The Gibbs love affair with the CID Col. and catch the mysterious somewhat elusive terrorist plot lines where better written and more exciting to watch.

June 16 2007 at 3:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David

The last show came across to me as a decent lead in to the Season Finale and it wasn't until 20 min ago when I started looking into Why the reruns that I discovered it was the finale.
It feels like the moment just before things are supposed to end that everyone packed up and went home for the summer. Was this intentional or was this caused by the recent rumblings on the set?
I'll tune in next season but it will be with frustration rather than anticipation.
Cheers...

June 05 2007 at 8:27 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bob Green

I think there’s more to this episode than folks think. First, the director’s father is alive and she is a security risk, then there’s the business between the CIA and NCIS (which is connected to #1), and then there’s the Tony-Jeanne-Frog connection, which may also be connected to #1. After all, it is a season-ender. The Frog thinks Tony is a professor and he likes “white hats” which he says when he hears his partner use the word “threaten”. Jeanne pops the secret with “bonjour papa” but doesn’t know that the director of a federal agency who is Tony’s boss (she had him do undercover work about the Frog if you remember) is after her father. The director is going after the Frog “outside the box” so-to-speak [no Gibbs & without higher knowledge], which has caused the CIA to get involved but who really knows exactly why. Tony, and this I really like, may or may not realize that Jeanne’s papa is the Frog. I tend to think he does, and if so, how will he take him down and how will that impact his feelings about Jeanne and her feelings about him. Tony had been hesitant to first say “I love you” and then to reaffirm that love to her in various ways (he always has that look when he thinks about expressing that love or taking the next step). Could it be that he knows that Jeanne’s father is the Frog who Jen is after and this Jeanne thing is part of the undercover job? Could it be that Jeanne is actually Jen’s daughter (after all we still don’t know the real reason Jen is after him – even Gibbs thinks it’s personal)?
Then there’s the non-play between Tony and Ziva when Ziva said, “…when he’s with her…” (with emphasis on the word "her"). She surely sounded a bit jealous there.
I think this was a great episode and look forward to seeing how they work all those things out, including the CIA and the BOD agent, and how Gibbs and MaGee are impacted. You know it could be that the Frogman is an agent of the CIA (or maybe a double agent). The writers may have revealed a secret or two, but they incorporated several new ones. Maybe this is their way to get rid of Jenny next season.

June 04 2007 at 12:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ira

The whole Tony-Jeanne dealing with drug smugglers story was, in my opinion, meant to cement in our minds that Jeanne is really a good person. As far as I'm concerned, the Palmer/Lee story can go on as long as it is still funny.

May 27 2007 at 8:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
M

See my take on the NCIS finale at http://mytvmusings.com/2007/05/24/ncis-finale/

May 24 2007 at 10:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Nick Stanziani

I agree with your review completely. The whole episode felt incomplete. I am a huge NCIS fan and love the interaction between the characters. My favorite part of the episode was the bar scene. The rest of the episode left me disappointed. The whole Tony-Jeanne thing in morgue seemed pointless. The big reveal in the end was not so shocking. Even the director's dad being still alive seemed like no big deal. Hopefully the beginning of Season 5 will pick things up a bit.

May 24 2007 at 3:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rob Walley

Yeah, I'm on board with everyone...this one was underwhelming to say the least and I think a 4 rating may be a bit too high.
I too completely missed that Jeanne doesn't know Tony is an agent and this revelation does make his actions (and reactions) make a great deal more sense this past season. I will watch the reruns in a new light.
The true test comes this fall when we see if Bellasario's extraction was a mistake or not. I have mixed feelings about the possibilities. For the new showrunners coming on board: keep it simple and stick to what has worked in the past. Do not try to reinvent the show. "It ain't broke!"

May 24 2007 at 3:14 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply