October 31, 2014

What Veronica Mars could have been

by Keith McDuffee, posted May 23rd 2007 10:57AM
kristin bell of veronica marsAs we all know, Veronica Mars was refused a renewal for the 2007-2008 TV season for The CW. We also have heard of the plans for Rob Thomas possibly trying to retool the show, basically fast-forwarding the series to where Veronica is an FBI agent, no longer residing in familiar Neptune. Would such a show reboot appease rabid fans of the old show? Would it be enough to grab new viewers? And what would this new show look like?

Luckily for all of us, I've got a very reliable anonymous source who has seen a copy of the retooled Veronica Mars, and I have to say I'm in agreement with this person's assessment of the new show. It's only a matter of time before the episode leaks to YouTube, but for those who can't wait for that moment, here's my source's description of the episode with some commentary.

SYNOPSIS: We start out with Veronica on her first day of work at the Los Angeles FBI offices. She has just graduated from the Academy, already with her snappy little suit. Her voice-over sounds competitive, and we get the sense that she's not always going to be the smartest person in the room here. There's also lots of sexism for her to overcome. We're introduced to another hot-shot female rookie and a guy named Sean, who Veronica either slept with at some point or embarrassed at the FBI Academy through her superior sleuthing skills. He tells her that everything is OK, that they are both adults in the professional world now, yadda yadda.

Veronica goes into a staff briefing where she's essentially given the option of going undercover as a pole dancer or a high school student. Much to her dismay, she ends up with the high school assignment. She goes undercover as a juvenile delinquent to catch the principal who's a sex predator. It's a funny but kinda gross scene, where the guy unzips his pants and tells her to give him a blowjob to get ahead. Once Veronica gets him to state that aloud, she tells him that she's with the FBI. The guy flees but is caught by the other FBI officer on the stake-out -- some hot guy who thinks Veronica is an idiot rookie.

Back at FBI headquarters, Veronica's boss tells her she did a good job, but asks why she wasn't at drinks last night with the rest of the team. "Hot shot" was supposed to spread the word among the rookies. Veronica assumes the other hot girl agent didn't tell her.

Cut to Veronica and the hot guy on a stake-out later that night where we find out that he didn't want to be paired with Veronica, who he refers to as "Barbie." They're staking out a mail bomber, a college professor, but hot guy says that they're staking out the wrong guy. He explains that the mail bomber would be more "meticulous, patient, etc." We learn that hot guy is a very talented profiler.

Cut to a scene where Veronica and said hot-shot girl rookie are questioning one of the professor's students in his apartment. The student leaves the room for a minute, and Veronica confronts hot-shot girl rookie about not relaying the "drinks with the boss" information to her. It turns out it wasn't her. Sean - the guy who told Veronica that they're "professional adults" now - neglected to tell her; apparently he's still hurting. Veronica then starts poking around this kid's apartment, when she notices how "meticulous and patient" this guy is. It dawns on her that this the kid is the mail bomber. We hear a noise, and when Veronica turns around with her gun withdrawn, we see that the kid has a knife to hot shot rookie girl's throat. The end

COMMENTS: The reason I disliked the promo so much was because it was a complete and total ctrl-alt-del reboot. The network was looking for the cheapest possible way to essentially keep Kristin Bell and jettison everything else. There wasn't a single character other than Veronica that came over to the FBI version of the show. Seriously, not even her dad, Keith, on a phone call. The writing was still top-notch, Veronica's wit was still intact and Rob Thomas set up the new world really quickly and completely, but the whole thing was just surreal. It turned the show into a standard-issue procedural about rookie FBI agents. It was way more charming than your average FBI procedural because Veronica was in it, but everything else that was great about the show was gone.

I should say that it wasn't a rough cut at all. It looked great. It looked like a show that could easily be on the air and be pretty decent, too. I just felt like they ripped the heart out because basically her dad wasn't there. It was clear that the show's emotional center was gone - replaced by an "episodic" engine that would require Veronica to go undercover in a different hot outfit every week. Basically just another procedural fed show.

Cassandra

I like NCIS, I can't even lie. But to compare it with Veronica Mars?????? No bloody way!!!!! If having Veronica back will be that weak FBI scenario - then no, I'll settle for the open ended angst I have! The FBI thing sunds like Sue Thomas - F.B.Eye which I absolutely hated!!!!!! Veronica Mars had such a lovely script and the sublt social commentary on things pop culture was accurate. I loved it. I miss Veronica Mars - and I did so love Logan, he's way hot!!! So is Duncan....not bad at all.

July 31 2007 at 8:48 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cassandra

Veronica Mars rocked. I have no particular ill feelings about NCIS but really...????? It doesn't even come close to Veronica Mars. Seriously. Also, that new FBI stuff...sounds like a bad episode of a horrible prog I once watched called Sue Thomas - F.B.Eye? Horrid!!!!! I get the idiocy of non Veronica fans. People are so used ( no offense but read "Americans") are so used to crap, it gets hard to appreciate good writing. Veronica Mars had a great script and such an accurate if suble commentary on popular culture. I loved it. Who knows, maybe a rich fan will take over the studio and bring it back, huh? God Speed on that one!

July 31 2007 at 8:42 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Homer S

The premise for Veronica as an FBI agent, sounds just like another cookie cutter show, all be it with Kristen Bell, Which is major plus. VM was one of the very best shows on TV. The CW, however was not committed to it, they did not promote it, for 2 or 3 months midway thru the season absolutely nothing was said about it. They put it up against Dancing with the Stars in my area, my mother, Who loves the show did not even watch it , because she was watchinig Dancing with the Stars. Hope is not lost thoug, if enough people write the CW network, they will probably put it back on the air.

June 30 2007 at 7:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Alicia Britt

I don't think another show would work without anyone from the original show. I agree that there should be at least a reference of her father who also happens to be her best friend and the only constant in her life. Also just by reading the description posted, the show will be very predictable andboring to a true Veronica Mars fan. WIthout the ensemble cast I do not see how they could keep the show interesting. Another thing that would be missing is her contact with the criminal element which Weevil brought to the show. Lastly there will no longer be the class struggle that everyone can relate to.

June 08 2007 at 12:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ally

Anyone who hasn't yet given up hope that Veronica Mars could come back, please go to www.savemyshow.com, click on Veronica Mars, and vote Yes. That site sends the results of the vote to all the major networks, so even if the CW sticks to its (bad) decision, maybe another network will pick it up!! Wishful thinking, perhaps, but still worth a shot. It only takes a second, but you can vote as many times as you want, and there are already almost 20,000 votes to keep VM going! Add yours soon, before June 15th!!!

June 05 2007 at 1:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ally

First off, I'll watch anything with Kristen Bell in it. Second, I agree that the new format wouldn't be nearly as good as the original, but even a watered down version of VM would be better than half the shows on tv. I mean, don't we have enough freakin pussycat dolls? Do they really need another one? And Mike M, NCIS is the perfect opposite of quality television, and there are at least ten other shows exactly like it. At least VM was original.

June 04 2007 at 5:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Hannah R

From a completely biased opinion- that being that I absolutely loved VM- anyone that says it sucked clearly hasn't seen much of it. The show was a hard pick up for new viewers. Period. It's only good if you've seen every single episode from every season. Who the f is upn anyway? The reason why it didn't get watched that much was because 1. UPN isn't watched much for anything and 2. when the CW got it, they did jack to promote it.

June 01 2007 at 7:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lizzy K

I really like VM and am sorry to see it go, but even I have to admit that it was competing with shows above and beyond. Most directly with House M.D. While I appreciate VM as one of the best shows on CW, it had some really cheesey moments (that I adore) and some very forced and unconvincing plot points (that had me glued to the TV). I can see why most people didn't like it and while it's disappointing, I am grateful that it wasn't stretched thin and dried up before it was let go.

I liked the show because of the characters and relationships developed from season one, it made it so familiar (which is probably why it didn't bring in new viewers, it had a big "you've been watching this all along so you'll get this reference" vibe) and the FBI spinoff is just a bad idea. I think the show should have ended when they all graduated from high school anyway. I always felt that a major weak point of season 3 was that so many main characters went to the same college. Let's face it, people grow up, move on and encounter different people their entire lives. The FBI spinoff would be rediculous if they did work in old characters and bland without them. I can't find an angle it works from.

Anyway, I am a huge fan and while I very much want a conclusion, I can live without it and I'll always be entertained by the DVD boxsets.

June 01 2007 at 4:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
VeronicaMarsFan

OMG! I miss veronica mars... I just looove that show...
The CW is so stupid to cancel the show... they don't know what they're missing.
Veronica Mars forever

May 30 2007 at 4:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
venusmeetsmars

I just dropped in here from a link on TWOP, and thought I'd bring some perspective on the whole "ratings" issue. There was a study done over on another web site that took the Nielsen ratings from last season and compared them to this season. The results are sickening. Shows that were renewed on the CW, such as Everybody Hates Chris (down 37.21%) and Girlfriends (down 26.47%) vs. Veronica Mars (up 8.7% in viewership and up 10% in 18-49 demo). We may have had a small viewership, but we were LOYAL. Those numbers show that. And, as a VM LOYAL, that is all that I could hope for. I don't wish it were canceled, especially after that SEASON finale (we can't say that was a worthy series finale). I do wish we could come back as a mid-season and at least wrap things up with a pretty bow. I mean, really, Piz and Veronica didn't even break up. That was dumb. So, hopefully Warner Bros. Entertainment will look at the loyalty and let us have our 6 episodes to wrap. I know that is wishful thinking, but I'm an optimist. Someone needs to be. :)

May 30 2007 at 1:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply