October 31, 2014

Creature Comforts -- An early look

by Adam Finley, posted May 24th 2007 1:01PM

creature comfortsI have never seen the original Creature Comforts, neither the Oscar-winning short film by Nick Park and Aardman Animation, nor the British TV series, so I can't compare the new American version to them, but I can say that the upcoming CBS animated series Creature Comforts is one of the most engaging and charming things I've seen in a long time.

Don't expect something goofy and fast-paced like The Simpsons or Family Guy, because that's not the kind of laughs this series is going for. Instead, the series takes interviews with regular people and then sticks their words into the mouths of cartoon animals. For example: two men sniffing wine become two dogs sniffing another dog's butt.

This idea could work without the animation, but not nearly as well. By putting their words inside these animals, the creators give their interviewee's words a more universal appeal. There's more to it than the simple novelty of having real people channeled through cats, birds, pandas, bees, lizards and crocodiles. It's those animal conduits that allow the viewer to identify with the folks being interviewed. It's not the actual physical people we relate to, it's their stories.

Hopefully, people will give this series a chance. I fear that younger folks will be turned off because it's not weird enough, and older people will be turned off simply because it's a cartoon. In a TV landscape full of drama, sci-fi, and general insanity, it's nice to see a show that's not afraid to be simple.

The series, whose executive producers include Nick Park and Kit Boss (King of the Hill), premieres on CBS June 4 at 8:00 p.m.

Karen

While watching these clips, mu husband & I were amazed at how simple, yet entertaining it was! Some of these clips reminded us of people we knew, including family members, in-laws etc. IT was a hoot! We laughed out loud, and our kids (17 and 23) thought we were nuts.....but then we liked Benny Hill, too. A sense of humor is so important these days!
I hope it will continue, a nice refreshing change for Monday nights! Good start to a work week!

June 05 2007 at 10:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
person with more sense than most people

I watched this show last night for one reason, I knew my stupid ex-husband would let my 9 yr. old watch it. And as I expected, it was about not remotely funny to somebody with any common sense. If the majority of Americans think this show is funny, no wonder society is the way it is. Society has become a wasteland of the human mind if people think dogs smelling each other’s butt and a parrot talking about all her aliments as she gets older is funny.

June 05 2007 at 9:34 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bob Andelman

I interviewed "Creature Comforts" executive producer Kit Boss on Mr. Media: http://www.mrmedia.com/2007/05/kit-boss-creature-comforts-exec.html . He was previously a writer and producer on "King of the Hill" for seven seasons.

May 28 2007 at 2:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brainfish

Maybe it was just the whole down-to-earth Britishness of the original but the dryness and completely natural comments made it a gem.

If this is 1/100th as good as the original it will be superb.

May 24 2007 at 8:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Karen

The original British special, series (and the commercials for British Gas that started the whole thing) were beyond brilliant. Adam, you should try to see them ASAP--season 1 of the series is Netflix-able.

May 24 2007 at 6:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Nathan

I don't think you have to worry about the younger people, we will watch just because we all loved Wallace and Gromit.

May 24 2007 at 4:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
gwangi

I loved the original UK version, short and series. And am very much looking forward this this one.

May 24 2007 at 1:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply