November 20, 2014

Mary-Kate Olsen joins the cast of Weeds

by Paul Goebel, posted May 25th 2007 9:30AM

Mary Kate Olsen (I think)Today, Showtime announced that Mary-Kate Olsen will be joining the cast of Weeds as a love interest for Nancy Botwin's (Mary Louise Parker) son, Silas. Normally, I don't find cast additions to be that interesting but this one is definitely news-worthy.

For a generation of TV viewers, the names Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen have become synonymous with safe, children's entertainment. I know that my daughters still enjoy an Olsen twins DVD every now and then and I will never forget being the only adult male in the theatre when I took them to see New York Minute. As I watched them grow up over the years, I often wondered if there would ever come a time when they would try and be taken seriously as actresses (the Olsen twins, not my daughters).

Well, it seems that time has come. By joining the cast of Weeds, Mary-Kate has declared that she is ready to be taken seriously and, more importantly, ready to work without her sister. All things being equal, I have always thought the Olsen sisters had what it took to be stars beyond their chldhood. I guess we will find out soon enough.

Bella

I am 100% looking to see what Mark-Kate Olsen can do on the show weeds with out her sister. I love that show and I can see her being Silas' love interest. I think it will be a good new addition.

August 14 2007 at 11:21 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Vicki

Go MK!
She was spotted in Barneys recently purchasing some lipstickqueen
get her look
www.lipstickqueen.com
www.barneys.com

Oxymoron is a all you need in your beach bag product since its for lips and
cheeks and gives a natural flushed look.
Lipstick Queen's Saint Line is perfect for the summer from the beach into the night!
Direct Link for purchase

July 16 2007 at 4:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dwacon_com

I'll watch the show despite MK replacing Shoshana...

May 25 2007 at 11:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Melissa

I personally think they will always be Michelle, and I'll be expecting every other line of hers to be "you got it, dude."

May 25 2007 at 3:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cody

So does this mean that Shoshannah Stern is officially not coming back if Silas moves on? She is a fantastic actress and really made the Silas storylines more sympathetic and interesting when she was in them.

May 25 2007 at 12:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kim

I wasn't impressed when I first heard of this, however, I'm willing to give her a chance. Weeds is an excellent show with excellent writers and I think it will be an excellent opportunity for Mary Kate to try to prove herself as an actress...I am surprised that she's supposedly going to be in 10 of the 15 episodes. That's a huge vote of confidence from TPTB.

khamel - Season 3 starts on August 13.

May 25 2007 at 11:55 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David

NOOOOOOOOOO!!! The best comedy on TV with her?! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

And Silas needs more sex? He already got one girl knocked up.

May 25 2007 at 11:13 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dealking

I'm happy for Mary-Kate. I think work will be good for her before the tabloids destroy her.

May 25 2007 at 10:54 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
khamel

i hope weeds get bad. it started getting a little strange at the end but it never veered too far off course. when does the next season start again?

May 25 2007 at 10:07 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply