October 1, 2014

Catch a sneak peek of the new Clone Wars cartoon

by Adam Finley, posted May 28th 2007 9:47PM

yodaWe've been hearing about the new Clone Wars cartoon for some time now, and finally a little taste of the new series is available on the Star Wars site.

We've been told previously that this new series would focus on the clone wars that took place between episodes two and three (Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith) and those of us who are both Star Wars fanboys and animation nerds were excited to see what this new animated series would look like.

Am I the only one who was rather underwhelmed by what he saw? Clearly, a lot of work has gone into this new series, but the human characters look and move as if they've been carved from plastic. Amidst all the flying debris, laser blasts, spaceships and explosions, I saw no real "life" in the trailer at all. Sure, characters fight and fly through the air, but their movements are just slightly more fluid than creatures in a Rankin Bass production.

It makes me wonder exactly what style they're going for here. If they make it too much like an actual cartoon, that could take away from the drama, but if they make it too stiff, which I believe they did, than the human characters look too much like action figures. My lukewarm response to what I saw is diluted somewhat by not knowing how the hell I would have done it differently. I just know I don't quite care for the design of this new series. Perhaps I'll change my mind once I see a full episode on a full screen, but this brief glimpse didn't thrill me like I hoped it would.

Thanks to Kopolee for telling us about this.

Bash

I wish they would return to the "Dexter's Laboratory" kind of drawing. Those were cool.

This looks awful because Game-CGIs can be done better. Blizzard Entertainment showed us that it can. Of course that's asking a bit much but either you do it right or you don't do it at all.

If they produce this/if it get's picked up then it will really be milking the cash-cow because at the moment this is sub-par quality-wise.

May 29 2007 at 4:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Justin

Looks great....looking forward to seeing this hopefully on a network that broadcasts in hi-def.

May 29 2007 at 1:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jinmiseru

I was really excited about this new series, but the trailer i saw didn't blow me away like i hoped it would. I thought the overall graphic designs were underachieved, and the main characters looked as if they were carved out of wood or something. Now i know it costs a lot of dough to create a decent 3D cartoon series but it felt like the folks at LucasFilms didn't raise the bar quite high enough. The story might be good though, so I'll just have to wait and see... I have to admit I was a big fan of the 2D version, thought it was edgier, with its fast-paced rhythm.

May 29 2007 at 10:17 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mike Davis

Wow.

An entire show composed of video game cutscenes.

May 29 2007 at 10:02 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tom

I think the problem with the human characters is their hair. It's a solid object in what we see. This worked fine in the animated series, since we could easily accept it as a limitation of animation. But with CGI, we KNOW that they can render hair as a moveable object.

That said, the CGI Asajj Ventress is already far better than the animated series version. She has pupils and she doesn't speak like she just rose from the grave.

May 29 2007 at 1:47 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Pete

Haven't we seen all this before? I'd stick with the superior animated shorts made by Genndy Tartakovsky from 2003.

May 29 2007 at 1:06 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David

The show has not been picked up yet.

May 28 2007 at 11:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JW

So will this be on Cartoon Network/Adult Swim?

May 28 2007 at 11:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply