September 23, 2014

Jay Leno celebrates 15 lame years

by Bob Sassone, posted May 28th 2007 1:28PM

LenoJay Leno is currently celebrating his 15th anniversary on that late night talk show that I refuse to name because I hate associating the show that Steve Allen, Jack Paar, and Johnny Carson once hosted with Leno. I won't go into all the reasons why (I've talked about it before), but let's just say the guy is incredibly lame and unfunny.

But we don't have much longer to put up with him. NBC has already announced that Leno's last year will be 2009, and then Conan O'Brien takes over. While I have big doubts about how O'Brien will do (I doubt all the mugging and screwed up humor will work at 11:30, and the next time you watch his monologue, take a drink every time he says "yeah"), putting anyone else in that chair will be an improvement.

Well, not anyone. I'm looking at you, Carson Daly.

J

Craig Ferguson, hands down, has the best monologue in late night. Whereas Leno has 20 topical gags of which maybe 10 are funny, Ferguson's has a theme, is personal, partially improvised and hilarious. Ever since I discovered Ferguson, I DVR his show every night. He's also great in interviews and skits.

July 26 2007 at 12:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Clint Scott

Bob must have developed his pearsonallity in an auto accident, it must suck to be Bob.

June 01 2007 at 10:37 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Carol

Jay Leno is not lame and unfunny to everyone. There should be an "in my opinion" behind of all these hateful comments. Obviously, many people like him or he would already be gone. As for Conan O'Brien, "in my opinion", he is not very funny. I guess humor is like singing, we all have different tastes. Please, don't paint with such a broad brush.

May 29 2007 at 3:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MUGger

Leno? As cutting edge as plain oatmeal.

Letterman? Sometimes funny, but heart problems show.

O'Brien? Often outdone by Triumph the Wonder Dog, on his own show.

Ferguson? Love the Scottish accent, but sorta bland.

Daly? He almost married Tara Reid, for god's sake.

Bring back the best of them all for the Tonite Show -- Larry Sanders. He rules.

May 29 2007 at 12:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Will

I used to really like watching Leno. Now I hardly ever catch it.

May 29 2007 at 11:52 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joshua Rubinstein

Leno is second to Carson But is still funny and by the Letterman's monologue is 3 minutes Jay Leno's is 7 minutes and he a better interviewer than Letterman

May 29 2007 at 9:27 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jmalcolm

Americans will always have a show that is the current reigning must see show we check in with every day or as often as we can. It will have a fast pace, a cutting edge, a sense of danger and fun and a host who you love to see every day and keeps you coming back over and over and over.

Leno is not that host and "The Tonight Show" is not that show. We have a new Tonight Show now and it is doing a great job of filling the void left by Johnnie. That show is The Daily Show and that host is John Stewart.

May 29 2007 at 8:54 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mikey

Letterman has been mailing it in with redundant sketches, silly interplay with his bandleader and lame guests for years. There is a reason more people watch Leno, beginning with a fresher guest list. This genre is all past-tense, but as long as it makes a lot of money, we'll see a white guy comedian on the air after the news for the rest of our lives.

May 29 2007 at 1:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim

P.S. Yes, Leno leads in the ratings. And Wal-Mart is the No. 1 retailer in the U.S.

Lowest common denominator, indeed.

May 28 2007 at 10:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim

Peter Griffin said it best: ""If Jay Leno makes you laugh, chances are I don't care for you as a person."

May 28 2007 at 10:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply