October 1, 2014

Five ways that watching Lost is like being in a relationship

by Paul Goebel, posted May 29th 2007 2:23PM

Matthew FoxAfter spending a good deal of my time watching Lost, listening to the official podcast and reading anything I can get my hands on about the show, I feel like my relationship with the show has gotten a little strained.

1. At the beginning, you will blow off your friends to be together.
During the first season of Lost, I couldn't get enough. I cleared Wednesday nights on my schedule and if I had to TiVo it, I avoided anyone I knew who watched it. I didn't want them spoiling anything for me. My relationship with Lost was special.

2. You let the little things slide.
It doesn't happen often but every once in a while Lost will do something that irritates me. Nikki and Paolo, Bernard & Rose and Hurley's inability to lose weight are all little things that I refused to let bother me...at first.

3. After a while, you find yourself attracted to similar types.
I enjoyed Jericho and The Nine very much. I watched every episode because they reminded me so much of Lost, even though I felt guilty the whole time. Luckily, those shows were canceled before Lost found out what I was doing.

4. After a while, you start to get jealous.
I'm fully aware that other people are seeing Lost. It's a fact that I've had to deal with but I hate it when I overhear other people talking about what a great time they had watching Lost. I mean, I'm only human.

5. By the end, one of you are forced to wear a fake beard and mustache.
After seeing each other for about three years, things have gotten a little too familiar. You start to avoid each other. You take your time getting around to watching each week's episode and Lost uses a really bad fake beard and mustache to avoid you. Even though you see through the disguise, you pretend that you don't notice a thing and hope that the relationship will get better next season.

Hwj3

If it ends as bad as X-files I'll be really pissed...

June 11 2007 at 3:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
theConundrumm

y'all need to ask what is wrong with Rose & Bernard?... we are watching the same show right?

May 31 2007 at 2:55 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ctunightfall

How good is a relationship if you know it's set to end? And, how come Heroes isn't on your list of similar series? It's like the cute lovechild of LOST and 24.

May 30 2007 at 2:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JagedNS

personally I'm not jumping on the media bandwagon to rag on Lost...I still enjoy this show as much as I did when it first came on....no change whatsoever. I loved the season finale and I think this is one of the most interesting shows to come along in a very long time.

and that's all I have to say 'bout that. :)

May 30 2007 at 6:51 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rodney

Everyone thinks that was a bad fake beard, but have you seen the movie "Gettysburg"? That was a forest of fake beards. Jack's is quite good, by comparison and on its own. The only reason it seems bad is that we *know* it's fake; if we'd never seen it before, we'd probably think it was real...

May 30 2007 at 12:49 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
RSL

Oooh, look. People showing how cool they are being snarky about Lost. Wow. It's like it's October all over again. :)

May 29 2007 at 7:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
John Hewitt

Those habits you found attractive at first . . . cute nicknames, the refusal to answer a question, flirting with other people, eyeball shots, numbers, flashbacks . . . really start to annoy you after a while.

May 29 2007 at 6:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Trish

It's only a tv show. Don't be such a drama queen.

May 29 2007 at 4:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bash

Erm... no we don't.

May 29 2007 at 4:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Teddy

When you ask "Lost," "Is this relationship really going somewhere?," it will answer, "Yeah, baby, sure. Stick with me, and I'll give you everything you've ever wanted."

But part of you suspects that "Lost" really has no idea where it'll be three years from now, and that you're just being manipulated once again.

May 29 2007 at 4:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply