August 27, 2014

Apparently, Minnesota is too good for The Simpsons

by Anna Johns, posted May 31st 2007 7:05PM
springfieldSpringfield, Minnesota wants nothing to do with The Simpsons. Unlike 16 other American towns named Springfield, which are falling over themselves for the right to show The Simpsons movie premiere in their town this summer, Springfield, MN is very vocal about why it's not participating in the contest. According to this article in the West Central Tribune, the town's city manager asked around to see if anyone wanted to participate and the general consensus was 'no'. The city manager said no one wants to be associated with the fictitious Springfield, which boasts a nuclear plant, a pile of burning tires, and cops who shoot first and don't even bother to ask questions later.

There's a great quote in the article from some uptight woman who said she'd rather see an Andy Griffith movie come to town: "I don't think it's [The Simpsons] a wholesome show. I hate the show, and if I heard Springfield would support something like that, I would think it's a sign of what's wrong with America."

I'm sure there are a few of the 2,000 Springfield, MN residents who like The Simpsons. To the rest, I simply have two words: Jesse Ventura.

Barry

I'm a Minnesotan as well, living in PA now (which thankfully IS contributing). I'm sad that MN won't participate. Despite Springfield, MN's lameness, the Twin Cities is much more of a fun and open (and liberal) area that would've accepted the premiere. I mean, the TCs are the birthplace of Mystery Science Theater 3000!

June 01 2007 at 8:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jessie

I live in Minnesota - A good number of people have corn cobs stuck up their asses. I would have been honored to be associated with The Simpsons. You know brought some attention to the town and a little tourist income. I hate people who are uptight.

Wholesome? Bread isn't even wholesome anymore. Who care's about wholesome! The days of Little House are over people - move on and have some sex!

June 01 2007 at 4:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Galley

Yes, there are Christian values (or at least good morals) hidden in The Simpsons. There's even a book called "The Gospel According to The Simpsons". They used it for a sunday school class in my church.

June 01 2007 at 8:34 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Borat

Wow there are people who hate "The Simpsons"???

May 31 2007 at 9:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bill

I think your two words speak quite loudly about why they did not want to be "honored" by the Simpsons.
They lived through the era of pretend honor by being near a "name".

May 31 2007 at 8:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Peter

My home town is Springfield, MN and my parents still live there. This is embarrassing. I am not the largest fan of the show, but how dumb. How do you not jump at a chance to compete for something this huge? I am very disappointed.

May 31 2007 at 8:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David

Because The Simpson's isn't wholesome? Don't Christains watch it? I remember hearing it on the news, big Christain show. I guess they might have a point then.

Springfield MA all the way! A huge dump!!!

May 31 2007 at 7:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Melissa

You're right. (Ooooh, I totally got you!) I didn't even know there was a Springfield, MN, and I grew up here. That must be where we keep all the crotchety's, because I don't think that's a very good representation of our kindly state. As for Jesse Ventura getting elected, my two words would be: college students.

May 31 2007 at 7:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Melissa

I have two words for YOU...

May 31 2007 at 7:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply